The Student Room Group

GCSE Revision & stress?

Is two months of proper 'thought out' and 'stuck to' revision enough to get good GCSE's?
Thing is I have my GCSE's in about 3 months. But I have so much coursework I think it will be a good 3-4 weeks until all of mine is out of the way. I can't concentrate when I know I have coursework deadlines I just stress even more..

My mocks were not awful but they could have been better. They were mainly B's but then I didn't revise at all for my mocks. :eek:

Anyone else out there doing their GCSE's this summer feeling the stress yet?

Any tips? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Most important tip: Don't panic.

And get your coursework out of the way before you even think about revision

And only revise topics you don't understand. If you see yourself going over stuff you already know, you're wasting your time (although that is stating the obvious)

Oh yeah

And dont revise for too long at a time, give yourself loads of breaks.

Good luck!
Reply 2
As above, concentrate on your coursework, you'll feel much better getting that done and finished out of the way. Don't stay up too late :wink: you'll get overtired and it'll be harder to concentrate.
Reply 3
Yeh, thanks everyone :smile: Good points... and as for sleep, I have trouble sleeping so I stay up late because I literally have to 'wear myself out' otherwise I just go to bed and can't sleep for hours. :frown: I can't wait till my c/w is out of the way!
Reply 4
[QUOTE=:D QPRlover [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]]sort of same situation as OP. am in middle of my mocks and today had english and bio and in english exam i only managed to do 2 out of 3 essays and had 5/10 mins to do the last one! :mad:
after mocks i'm gonna give myself the weekend off then i stupidly have to do work i should have done ages ago like english essay **** and spanish oral stuff which was due before the christmas hols :redface:
Not gonna enjoy the next few months :frown:

Yeh I know the feeling, I totally agree..
Although, you did your mocks late didn't you? I did mine in January!
Reply 5
Geeeezy creeeezy, you're feeling the stress from GCSEs??
Do you mind me asking what you're worrying about? Is it you thinking you need good grades for future, or you pleasing your parents, or you beating friends, or you achieving the most you can? Or have you lost sight of all of those things and all you know is that you're stressed?!

I always felt a twinge of nerves when it got down to a few weeks away, then i wouldnt feel nervous until the day before, then id get excited.

You'll be fine with revision if you've done good classwork, then plenty of past papers and talking to friends over things you don't understand. The coursework will be done soon, just squeeze it out.
i did my mocks in november, in yr 11!

im not rele sure wot they proved that early on however!

i got a U in my chemistry mock! was not amused!

somethin i learnt in psychology this yr.. the more stressed you are the harder sleep can be! mayb try winding down before u intend on sleepin doin nothin achedemic at all!
Reply 7
Sabzi
Geeeezy creeeezy, you're feeling the stress from GCSEs??
Do you mind me asking what you're worrying about? Is it you thinking you need good grades for future, or you pleasing your parents, or you beating friends, or you achieving the most you can? Or have you lost sight of all of those things and all you know is that you're stressed?!

I always felt a twinge of nerves when it got down to a few weeks away, then i wouldnt feel nervous until the day before, then id get excited.

You'll be fine with revision if you've done good classwork, then plenty of past papers and talking to friends over things you don't understand. The coursework will be done soon, just squeeze it out.

I think i'm stressed because all my friends are so much cleverer than I am and it makes me feel inferior. I know I shouldn't compare myself to my friends but It makes me more stressed because I have to work harder than they do.
Also because i need good grades for what I want to do and it's important to me that I do well. I don't wanna mess up GCSE's cos how will I ever manage at A level LOL.
Reply 8
tom_tom_tom
i did my mocks in november, in yr 11!

im not rele sure wot they proved that early on however!

i got a U in my chemistry mock! was not amused!

somethin i learnt in psychology this yr.. the more stressed you are the harder sleep can be! mayb try winding down before u intend on sleepin doin nothin achedemic at all!

I'm sure if you put the work in you can get your chem grade up so don't worry!

and - Thank you :p: yeh it's why I'm online right now actually,to 'wind down' but even then I guess I'm still sressing about work because i'm asking about it on TSR..oh dear :cry: =]
Reply 9
Wait till highers ( As/A2 levels) then you'll know about revision stress!
Reply 10
gscott7

Gah... well yes I know I'm not saying it isn't stressful for you, but as I don't know what As/A2 feels like as i'm not there yet, I am finding this stressful at the moment..
Yeah there is a step up from As level from GCSE

i know exactly how u feel i was in top set for everythin and always felt like i didnt feel like i should have been there.

i came out okay, but at the moment im stressing i didnt do well enough, i knw they say they dont put to much emphasis on GCSE's for uni but it still makes me nervous

medicine is a competative course!
Reply 12
[QUOTE=:D QPRlover [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]]I'm stressed because I know I can get top grades at gcse (not being cocky but they aren't too hard to get with minimum effort) though this minimum effort is proving hard to come by as im so frustratingly lazy :mad:
If i had done the homeworks and classworks and revised for tests (especially on topics not sure of) last year and first half of this year, I would be in a good position now! But i didn't. I suppose everyone can look back in hindsight though :p:

Yes..I wish i'd done that with maths from the beginning because maths, well you can't just pick up from where you left off.. Even some of the basic stuff I haven't been taught in ages and it's easily forgotten!!
Reply 13
tom_tom_tom
Yeah there is a step up from As level from GCSE

i know exactly how u feel i was in top set for everythin and always felt like i didnt feel like i should have been there.

i came out okay, but at the moment im stressing i didnt do well enough, i knw they say they dont put to much emphasis on GCSE's for uni but it still makes me nervous

medicine is a competative course!

Aww, yeh.. I know what you mean!
and yeh medicine is it's the main reason why I get so stressed out because it's like make it or break it!
i think as long as you have the right attitude to things you can do fine!

you obviously want to suceed and get far ... as long as you have a goal you'll do well!

im tryin to tell myself this and its not workin!

im lost in physics i dont ave a clue haha!

im dropping it end of the year anyway!

what A levels are u interested in doing?
Reply 15
tom_tom_tom
i think as long as you have the right attitude to things you can do fine!

you obviously want to suceed and get far ... as long as you have a goal you'll do well!

im tryin to tell myself this and its not workin!

im lost in physics i dont ave a clue haha!

im dropping it end of the year anyway!

what A levels are u interested in doing?

The As levels i wanna do are on my profile (too lazy to list them all hah! ) :smile:
Do you wanna do medicine to then?
Reply 16
Echolife
As above, concentrate on your coursework, you'll feel much better getting that done and finished out of the way. Don't stay up too late :wink: you'll get overtired and it'll be harder to concentrate.

Were you happy with your GCSE's Echo? Can I ask what grades did ya get :p: ??
awww they are near a carbon copy of mine!

im doing Biology Chemistry Physics and Psychology atm!

Psychology Rules! best subject ever!

yeahh.. im looking were to apply atm! its getting to me already

i think its close to about 20 people apply for every one medcine place!

you have to stick out from the bunch! im goin to have to do somethin extra to make sure i look good because tbh my grades are not goin to be amazing
Reply 18
gscott7

That's not a very helpful post!

I got mediocre GCSEs... one A*, a few As and the rest Bs and Cs. I didn't revise much because I was not motivated and felt like they didn't matter. The subjects I enjoyed at GCSE were maths and spanish, so that was the extent of my revision. I could have got all A* but I didn't want to, I had better things to do!

Then I picked 4 quality A-Levels that I wanted to do and my whole ethic changed. AAAA was no problem, and I didn't even have to sacrifice anything for it. Point is, you know what you are capable of and you can decide what you want to achieve. Try your best on your exams and forget what others are achieving because people only care for 20 seconds on results day.
i got A* Cida A Biology A Physics A Statistics A History A Art B Maths B Chemistry B English Lit and Lang

i was dissapointed with the english ones i was very close to the A boundary but it is quite subjective so ive just accepted it now

Latest