The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
zohaib01
Islamic community have contruibited as much as any other religion and you could say the same for other religions what have the Christan or jewish society contribued to uk nothing but the practing of their faith same as islam

Really? Christianity has been in England for over 1600 years, and was the state religion when religion was a far, far greater component of every day life (to the extent where even professing belief in the wrong type of Christianity could get you executed). The split from the Roman Catholic Church and the founding of the Church of England had a profound effect on politics and foreign relations. Today over 70% of the UK describe themselves as Christian, the next most followed religion is Islam - and five times as many people describe themselves as atheist. You can debate whether the effects of Christianity have been beneficial or not to your hearts content, but to say that Christianity has had no greater impact on this country than Islam just displays ignorance of history. Before you describe this as 'hating on Islam' (a horrible turn of phrase) that is not what I intend; it's simply inaccurate to say that all religions have equally influenced British society.
Reply 41
Kagutsuchi
People have been misunderstanding what i said in that post.

I wasn't attacking. I was asking what Islam has contributed purely because the OP said that we mock and demean their contributions to British society.

Maybe you should read the first post and the rest of the posts.

I understand exactly what you meant. My quoting of your text was not based directly at you. It's just the other people making weird interpretations of it.
Reply 42
zohaib01
islamic culture mocking and demining thier contribution to the brisitsh society

No offense but what exactly is its contributions you are on about?
:confused:
Reply 43
A l a n
Excuse me?!

So your saying that there is no hatred against Jews. . .
Ever been in a classroom with a Jew? Just hear the hatred roaring!

not saying that im saying on here i havent seen it!
zohaib01
really HOW?

You're actually asking me how Christianity has shaped Britain? :rolleyes:

It has been a part of Britain for centuries. The religion itself has shaped the form of the monarch and rule over Britain, as well as social freedoms and limitations. Foreign relations have also been under strain and bliss due to Christianity - such as with the spanish armada, or the number of the alliances we have made due to religion alone.

Christianity is a part of Britain whether we like it or not.

You've still failed to list any contributions of Islam.
Reply 45
Kagutsuchi
So you think that just because the islamic faith teaches their followers to be good people, they are good people for that one reason and that is their contribution to the British society?

A person's actions which benefit society - such as teaching students or saving lives as a doctor - cannot be credited to their faith alone. They are people who help society.

Well you threw teachings at me. Almost all the religions - credible ones - advise people to be good people - just like your example.

Christianity - love thy neighbour. Turn the other cheek. I'm sure there's something about helping society in there somewhere...

Buddhism - be a good person to reach nirvana.

etc.

Got any more?

I think you fail to see the point. The title is 'why is there people hating on islam?' that doesn't make sense, but i've put the important word in bold for you, so that your mind doesn't have to try to do some thinking.

The religion is the point of discussion, not those who attempt to live by its teachings. The religion encourages integration and charity, whether financial or in other forms. The people who practice the religion may not do what the religion commands, but that isn't the point of discussion.
Reply 46
In the space of 5 minutes I've come across 3 or 4 threads about islam started by a muslim with all these ridiculous ideas. It's not exactly helping. . .
zohaib01
so if all faiths propose the same teachings then why was islamic way of life in wife swap being ridiculed becasue they belive you shouldnt sleep in the company of a starnger or shake his hand or women should preserve thier dignity and only show thier body to thier husband does that make us bad people who you should hate and ridicule?

No. So you're bitter because some people dislike your teachings?

:rolleyes:

Baby.
rupertj
I think you fail to see the point. The title is 'why is there people hating on islam?' that doesn't make sense, but i've put the important word in bold for you, so that your mind doesn't have to try to do some thinking.

The religion is the point of discussion, not those who attempt to live by its teachings. The religion encourages integration and charity, whether financial or in other forms. The people who practice the religion may not do what the religion commands, but that isn't the point of discussion.

That is not what they're contributing to society, that is purely what they are advocating.

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your own argument before descending into pompous implications.

You jumped on my post where I was replying to the OP where he stated the muslim teachers and doctors contribute to society and then divert it off course.

I was debating what they have done for society. I care not for the Islamic faith and why people attack it. You should read my posts before attacking them.
Reply 49
C'mon people let's not argue which religion has contributed more to Britain, that's not what the OP's original question is. Im sure different religions have contributed in different aspects.

Well to be honest, when I first came on TSR, there were dozens of anti-islamic threads daily (It has improved a bit now), I would usually post on these threads and end up losing my temper, I just ended up getting neg rep's and warning levels. Looking back at it, there was no point in this, people can think what they want about Islam, at the end of the day I am what I am today, because of my religion. I have friends from all religions and backgrounds, and they respect me and my religion, TSR does not account for the whole population, not even 1% of britains population, not everyone is the same.
Reply 50

Islam has brought nothing but alienation and pain to Britain's shores, due to its unrelenting stubbornness and bigotry.
Reply 51
we mostly changed the way Britian is shaped mostly due to its culture we introduced the curry and we have been in this country for nearly 300 years when only in 1950's did the numbers begin to increase

also we contribute to sport Amir Khan, Prince Naseem, Muhammad Ali, and i also belive Tu-pac shakur converted to islam(correct me if im wrong)

politics - Lord Nazir Ahmad

islam is also spreading its teachings of peace and contribution to charity through charity such as Muslim hands islamic relief
Reply 52
Moabubaker
C'mon people let's not argue which religion has contributed more to Britain, that's not what the OP's original question is. Im sure different religions have contributed in different aspects.

Well to be honest, when I first came on TSR, there were dozens of anti-islamic threads daily (It has improved a bit now), I would usually post on these threads and end up losing my temper, I just ended up getting neg rep's and warning levels. Looking back at it, there was no point in this, people can think what they want about Islam, at the end of the day I am what I am today, because of my religion. I have friends from all religions and backgrounds, and they respect me and my religion, TSR does not account for the whole population, not even 1% of britains population, not everyone is the same.

exactly!
Moabubaker

But the OP can't list any valid contributions that we apparently "mock and demean".
We be hatin' 'cause we got serious beef, yo. Metaphorical beef, yo.
Reply 55
zohaib01
we mostly changed the way Britian is shaped mostly due to its culture we introduced the curry and we have been in this country for nearly 300 years when only in 1950's did the numbers begin to increase

also we contribute to sport Amir Khan, Prince Naseem, Muhammad Ali, and i also belive Tu-pac shakur converted to islam(correct me if im wrong)

islam is also spreading its teachings of peace and contribution to charity through charity such as Muslim hands islamic relief

C'mon mate don't do this, your just making a fool of yourself.
Reply 56
zohaib01

The teaching and culture of Islam itself did not 'contribute' to Amir Khan. He was simply a person who happened to be good as boxing, was muslim and moved to this country.
Could you list any contributions the teaching and culture itself has made?
Reply 57
Gorgon
Islam has brought nothing but alienation and pain to Britain's shores, due to its unrelenting stubbornness and bigotry.

youre too stubborn to realise the truth
Reply 58
A l a n
In the space of 5 minutes I've come across 3 or 4 threads about islam started by a muslim with all these ridiculous ideas. It's not exactly helping. . .

These ideas are not ridiculous, some Muslims are just annoyed that so many Westerners believe what the media says (which is controlled by the West). I am studying politics and I can tell you that I came across statements like 'women and men are not equal in Islam', 'why should we accept Sharia law in Britain?', 'Ayan Hirsi Ali is hated by Muslims because she quit Islam'...
I really hate the one about Shariah Law: British people will NOT have to embrace it, it's just for Muslims who would feel more comfortable with Shariah Law than with British Law. Students in my class could not believe when I said I'd rather have my case dealt according to the teachings of Islam. They simply do not understand that as a Muslim and a non-Westerner, British Law is not always appropriate (please do not be offended, but our values are different on MANY aspects).
Ayan Hirsi Ali is hated because she insults Islam and spreads lies about our religion. There is a clear distinction between freedom of expression and freedom to offend!
People do not say directly that they do not like Islam, they simply have incorrect perceptions of this beautiful religion. But I have to say that those who do not act in accordance with Islam are giving us a bad image.
Reply 59
Gorgon

You're the dude who wanted to rename the UK to the Republic of Islam. Sit down, troll.

Latest