The Student Room Group
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

first paragraph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail#Right_to_bail

also that

It's amazing what typing bail into google does for you :p:
Reply 2
0H1
If someone is arrested for questioning and then bailed shortly after, what does this mean?

Does it mean that there is insufficient evidence to suggest he/she did it?

Or does it mean its unlikely that the person did it.

And when do they not bail u?

Thanks guys.

Bail is usually paid to assure the freedom of a prisoner prior to the trial for their crimes.

A suspect will usually remain detained until their court date unless they make bail.
Reply 3
just means they get to go home until they appear at magistrates etc

if there was no evidence they wouldnt charge you. the police only enforce the law, they dont decide whether or not youre guilty, just gather evidence
Reply 4
If they're bailed then they must have been charged with something (i think) otherwise they will have been released without charge. They must be a suspect in whatever they've done.
Reply 5
You have to pay some money to be allowed to be free until the date of your trial (so people who are bailed will go to court/have been charged). If you're a dangerous criminal or the judge or whoever thinks its likely you'll run rather than go to court you're denied bail, you have to remain in prison till your trial but the time you serve then is knocked off your sentence (I think).
Reply 6
Spleeny
You have to pay some money to be allowed to be free until the date of your trial (so people who are bailed will go to court/have been charged). If you're a dangerous criminal or the judge or whoever thinks its likely you'll run rather than go to court you're denied bail, you have to remain in prison till your trial but the time you serve then is knocked off your sentence (I think).

Requiring surety is by no means a certainty, in fact if I'm remembering correctly it's not even all that common. Besides, police bail doesn't involve it, only a Magistrate can impose it.

Latest