The Student Room Group

Volunteer work for psychology

Hi,

I'm just about to go into my 2nd year of my psychology degree at uni.
I have been thinking about doing some volunteer work for some time.
I'm unsure about what area of psychology i want to go into later, maybe clinicial, child, occupational or educational but i think volunteering will be beneficial no matter what i choose.

I have emailed my uni work experience place and they have put me on the system, and asked me what sort of thing i would like to do.

What kind of volunteering is best for me? I was thinking about a support worker or something but i'm not very confident and my communication skills are a bit lacking so i'm worried i will be no good.
Any caring role would be fantastic for most of those areas of Psychology.

I suggest you browse http://www.do-it.org and have a look at what's on offer.
Volunteering as something like a support worker would help you to improve your confidence, which would obviously be useful for a career in psychology.
I second the do-it suggestion, also look at Mind or any local mental health organisations.
Reply 3
www.chicks.org.uk

May be of some interest to you - it's working with children in a holiday-based care role.
Reply 4
I would advise don't bother. I have 2 years voluntary experience as a millenium volunteer in a care setting, a years voluntary experience as an assistant researcher, a first class degree and can I get a job? hell no. So it doesn't really matter how much volunteering you do, it won't get you in the running.
Reply 5
Opalfire
I would advise don't bother. I have 2 years voluntary experience as a millenium volunteer in a care setting, a years voluntary experience as an assistant researcher, a first class degree and can I get a job? hell no. So it doesn't really matter how much volunteering you do, it won't get you in the running.

I'm not sure that this will be the case for everyone. Even if it is, how can you say that volunteering makes no difference? In your case maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it won't do anything but help in the off chance your application to X job is being considered.
Floboto
I'm not sure that this will be the case for everyone. Even if it is, how can you say that volunteering makes no difference? In your case maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it won't do anything but help in the off chance your application to X job is being considered.

Don't bump old threads.
hannahradford
www.chicks.org.uk

May be of some interest to you - it's working with children in a holiday-based care role.

Hi, I just noticed your post.

Have you volunteered with CHICKS before? I've arranged to later in the year and any information would be greatly appreciated :p:
Reply 8
~ Mandy
Hi, I just noticed your post.

Have you volunteered with CHICKS before? I've arranged to later in the year and any information would be greatly appreciated :p:

Hi, yes I did last summer - if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM them to me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending