The Student Room Group

side effects of cannibalism

I can't find anything on the medical side of this, I was only able to find texts upon texts about different tribes. I heard that human brain tissue would cause insanity if eaten and some say that one will shake a lot if they eat human meat.

Do any of you know the medical and maybe psychological side effects of cannibalism?

Ps I am not planning to eat anyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did the lessons learnt from BSE and HIV teach you nothing?
See Kuru re. going mad
Reply 3
Remember to eat your 5 a day! :colondollar:
Reply 4
I don't know, but didn't Mad Cow Disease or some disease of that kind anyway, come from people feeding cow meat to other cows and animals. Maybe similar diseases would develop in humans.

I think it's interesting to think about, but a little creepy. =/
Reply 5
I don't think there would be any, we are just meat! Eating someone's bicep should the same as eating any other meat.
However on the psychological...If you do choose to cannibalise someone the possibilities are you already do suffer from some form of psychopathy.

It's sort of scary that you want to know XD
Reply 6
_Jeb_
I don't think there would be any, we are just meat! Eating someone's bicep should the same as eating any other meat.
However on the psychological...If you do choose to cannibalise someone the possibilities are you already do suffer from some form of psychopathy.

It's sort of scary that you want to know XD

**** off from my biceps

but HIV got transmitted/changed from SIV from people thinking gorilla meat was a nice idea

and BSE went similar road with cows being fed cows

now I don't know the details of, but that **** can't be good.
Reply 7
tinshed
I can't find anything on the medical side of this, I was only able to find texts upon texts about different tribes. I heard that human brain tissue would cause insanity if eaten and some say that one will shake a lot if they eat human meat.

Do any of you know the medical and maybe psychological side effects of cannibalism?

Prion disease can be transmitted through the processing of infected meat. It is not strictly related to consumption, but to viral infection; if prions enter the bloodstream (for example, through an open wound or sore), then prion disease can be contacted, for which there is no cure. The transition of the protein PrPc is the cause, and is the basis of CJD/BSE. There have been few solid accounts of it, however, and the Kuru virus noted by a poster (above) is an ambiguous case in New Guinea among the Fore tribe. This wasn't a normally sanctioned practice, however, and has been related (when it was demonstrated) to food shortages. Madness, associated with cannibalism, is a result of neurological degradation as a result of the infected prions.
Reply 8
Jail, the funny looks you'll get for the rest of your life?

I don't do medicine so I don't really know. I imagine you'd have to be psychopathic to do that sort of thing in the first place so eating the meat itself probably won't make matters much worse. Maybe you'd feel guilty and regret and go a bit crazy if you had to eat somebody to survive? You know, in one of those "would you do this if you had to" survival scenarios people talk about but won't ever get into.

I remember watching one of those late night serial killer programmes you get on channel five or whatever and one time this guy said that he got the abilities of his victims he ate. Absolutely insane person. So glad they caught him.

by the way, this probably isn't the best forum to ask this question seeing as you get people talk about their weird fetishes and stuff here. There was somebody saying he was a Peado here last week (was that a troll or not?). So, so, so glad you didn't make this thread anonymously by the way!
High Cholesterol? :biggrin:
Tell us how penis taste like! :wink:
Reply 11
LaughingBro
Tell us how penis taste like! :wink:

I'll tell you. :sexface:

:eek:
I heard if you eat ears your hearing improves.
Reply 13
Catsmeat
Prion disease can be transmitted through the processing of infected meat. It is not strictly related to consumption, but to viral infection; if prions enter the bloodstream (for example, through an open wound or sore), then prion disease can be contacted, for which there is no cure. The transition of the protein PrPc is the cause, and is the basis of CJD/BSE. There have been few solid accounts of it, however, and the Kuru virus noted by a poster (above) is an ambiguous case in New Guinea among the Fore tribe. This wasn't a normally sanctioned practice, however, and has been related (when it was demonstrated) to food shortages. Madness, associated with cannibalism, is a result of neurological degradation as a result of the infected prions.

I just read about prions and the prion disease, it's quite interesting! thank you

I also had a look at kuru disease. So by the look of it there is no normal brain activity when the body is infected with kuru disease? what about the body functions - does the body operate as normal or do certain organs shut down?
Kuru. When you eat a brain, you can take on the virus lodged in there and come down with kuru. You go mad, basically, waste away. In Papua New Guinea, unfortunately, its the women and children in traditional societies who eat the brain during festivals and so they are the ones that are affected.
Reply 15
come again...?
Reply 16
Tallon
Jail, the funny looks you'll get for the rest of your life?

I don't do medicine so I don't really know. I imagine you'd have to be psychopathic to do that sort of thing in the first place so eating the meat itself probably won't make matters much worse. Maybe you'd feel guilty and regret and go a bit crazy if you had to eat somebody to survive? You know, in one of those "would you do this if you had to" survival scenarios people talk about but won't ever get into.

I remember watching one of those late night serial killer programmes you get on channel five or whatever and one time this guy said that he got the abilities of his victims he ate. Absolutely insane person. So glad they caught him.

by the way, this probably isn't the best forum to ask this question seeing as you get people talk about their weird fetishes and stuff here. There was somebody saying he was a Peado here last week (was that a troll or not?). So, so, so glad you didn't make this thread anonymously by the way!

lol, you are welcome
Reply 17
tinshed
I just read about prions and the prion disease, it's quite interesting! thank you

I also had a look at kuru disease. So by the look of it there is no normal brain activity when the body is infected with kuru disease? what about the body functions - does the body operate as normal or do certain organs shut down?

The brain tissues are damaged, causing unpredictable mental and physical effects. As for the body, symptons include poor motor control. I've seen documentary film made by the Netherlands colonial authorities during the 1970s, when Prion disease was at its peak in Papua New Guinea, and it shows infected persons unable to walk without the aid of crutches, wasting of muscle tissue, and so on.
A lack of friends?
tinshed

watch sweeney todd, tim burton version and all answers are revealed

Latest

Trending

Trending