The Student Room Group

Roundabout lane discipline

Hey guys
Have got my test in just over a month and i am looking for some guidance.
Today i done a roundabout that had 3 lanes, one for left, one for straight ahead and one for right. I took the 2nd exit and the middle lane upon entrance. The 2nd exit was positioned at about 10 oclock and the first exit at about 8. However up until today i have been under the impression "straight on" means the 12'0clock exit , logically straight ahead. What i am looking for is a definition of when to use the middle
lane, is it anything after the first left and before you go past 12oclock?
Im confused, as suggested by the poor quality of explanation here Haha :smile:
Will reword if you want.
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Most three lane roundabouts will have road markings in the lanes (with the arrows) and/or signs - but usually the middle lane of a three lane roundabout is for going straight on only.
Reply 2
Most major three lane roundabouts will have arrows to help you get in the correct lane. Most of the time the middle lane is used for going straight on only. There is one near me that requires the middle lane for the slow lane on a dual carriage way turning right fourth exit. Most of the time though, the left lane may also be used for going straight over.
Reply 3
You have already said that the lane direction arrows tell you to approach in the middle lane to go ahead. The definition of ahead is a very loose one and there is a lot of flexibility in where a road "ahead" is deemed to be depending on the roundabout. Don't worry too much about "clock" references that people post on here.

The best clue will be in the large direction sign on approach. A photo of this will be helpful. Failing that, tell us the exact location of the roundabout and Google will help us to help you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Generally:

1st Exit: Left

2nd Exit: Straight on

3rd + any other: Right.

Lanes usually have lane markings, like others have said. If there are 3 exit's, then it's simple, lanes and exits are 123 respectivly clockwise. If lane markings tell otherwise, follow these.
you shouldn't have to change lanes on a roundabout, they spiral out (i.e. the left lane will go to the 1st exit, the middle lane will go to the second exit) so you just need to follow the lanes.
Reply 6
Think i have a better understanding of it now. I was just confused by the fact i was in the "straight on" lane but the exit wasnt actually straight on, but like you say there is a lot of flexibility with the term "straight on".
I think if i follow road markings or if none the general principle of 1st exit left, 2nd exit straight on and 3rd or any other right then i should be okay.

Dankee schonn !
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending