The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy is quite philosophical in my opinion, if you've ever actually read the book. Stupid, yes... however it gets quite deep in places!

The title of this thread is a bit misleading - are you asking people whether they've read any books they consider to be philosophical or instead what people consider is required to make a book philosophical?!

:rolleyes:
Reply 2
General plea: please don't mention Sophie's World anyone...
Actual point: I quite liked the Solitaire Mystery (tis my secret shame). And there's this good russian one that 1984 was based on. Forgotten its damn name though.
If the question was 'what do people consider is required to make a novel philosophical?': I'd say it was just a plot that raises questions about either assumptions we as a society have or writing about an idea that's considered by some to be the answer to a political/philosophical issue... or something like that

EDIT: The russion novel I mentioned is called 'We'
Reply 3
Candide could be considered a philosophical novel.
Jacques Derrida

You reckon? Hmm, arguable. It's more a satire of certain types of philosophy I'd have said.
ofholyname
Does anyone know?

Answers please :biggrin:

cheers :cheers:

I'd imagine that its a novel what is philosophical :eek:
(surprise, surprise).

Via its plot and the actions/events/themes therin, it may prompt the reader to critically analyse the situation(s) in a thoughtful manner.
It may also address questions widely regarded as 'philosophical' and endeavour to answer or come close to answering them.

Id imagine its definately a clear 'novel' and distinct from a Socratic or Platonic dialogue for example such as The Republic or The Symposium.

Iv always thought a lot of H G Wells' work is in a way philosophical (although it is mainly sociological) in that it addresses and QUESTIONS different issues of morality etc e.g. The Island of Doctor Moreau.
Jacques Derrida

Nausea, too.

ZarathustraX
Reply 7
Difference there: Nausea reflects Sartre's philosophy, whereas Candide is about a particular philosophical standpoint. Broadly speakjing, a philosophical novel is one which consciously reflects or expounds a particular view of the world. It has to be conscious, because every view of the world and the way it works is a philosophy, so every novel reflects its author's philosophy. Exaples: Nineteen Eighty four, Leonard Mosley's Hopeful monsters books, Allen Lightman's Einstein's Dream, a lot of science fiction. Partly philosophical- Ulysses, The Death of Ivan Illich.
Oddly, i don't think Sophie's Dream is actually a philosophical novel. It's aboutphilosophy, but the philosphy isn't reflected in the way it's put together.
Weejimmie
Oddly, i don't think Sophie's Dream is actually a philosophical novel. It's aboutphilosophy, but the philosphy isn't reflected in the way it's put together.

I agree with you there, it certainly isn't. (It's also appalling imho, but that's another matter...:wink:)

Weejimmie
Nausea reflects Sartre's philosophy...Broadly speakjing, a philosophical novel is one which consciously reflects or expounds a particular view of the world.

So you agree that Nausea is a philosophical novel? :confused:

ZarathustraX
Reply 9

Its more a textbook of philosophy written in the style of a novel.

I agree with you there, it certainly isn't. (It's also appalling imho, but that's another matter...)

Its not that bad, I found it a nice and easy intro to philosophy, bearing in mind I read it when I was 15 and understood it !
Reply 10
Zarathustra

So you agree that Nausea is a philosophical novel? :confused:

ZarathustraX

I'm not sure. How far is the reflection conscious there? You could argue further that a philosophical novel is one where the philosophy is noticeable rather than being absorbed into the novel's writing and style, so where somoene has really absorbed the influence of philosophical views their novels won't be philosophical novels.
Reply 11
Not that this follows on particularly from anything that anybody's said, aside from the OP, but most of Dostoevsky has some kind of philosophical subtext. Sometimes the characters will actually have a philosophical discussion dialogue (cf. "The Brothers Karamazov") or even monologue ("Notes from the Underground"), but also the content of the novel as a whole has a message.
Reply 12
englishstudent
You reckon? Hmm, arguable. It's more a satire of certain types of philosophy I'd have said.

Nah, I think it's a great philosophical novel actually!
Reply 13
Socrates
Its more a textbook of philosophy written in the style of a novel.

Yes there is a lot of history of philosophy woven in but I think it is a philosophical novel too. The actual storyline is philosophical in itself and would be even without the chunks of philosophy.
Reply 14
Bell Jar
Reply 15
Adhsur
Yes there is a lot of history of philosophy woven in but I think it is a philosophical novel too. The actual storyline is philosophical in itself and would be even without the chunks of philosophy.

Yes I agree with you there Rushda - I think the ending is definitely a little confusing and requires a fair bit of thinking, and philosophical analysis/thought.

The Brothers Karamazov - definitely a philosophical novel, and one of the best works of literature IMO :wink:. I love, love, love that book!

What about Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? Possibly considered a philosophical novel - this might be a bit of a dubious novel to consider philosophical actually.

Hate to bring this up, but Harry Potter *cough*. The ending of Prisoner of Azkaban is quite "philosophical" - time travel :redface:!? I did feel it was handled amateurishly however, but I don't think she was intending to bring much phil. in :wink:
Adhsur
Nah, I think it's a great philosophical novel actually!

In what way? Really it's a picaresque novel with strong elements of satire. It's not a self-consciously philosophical book. It's a story which is used as a vehicle to satirise follows of Leibniz. It is also a satire of vanity, folly and cruelty as well as established religion but not, in my opinion, a philosophical novel.
Sophie's World - it's completely brilliant and taught me everything I know!!!1111one

MB
musicbloke
Sophie's World - it's completely brilliant and taught me everything I know!!!1111one

MB

It's really sweet how much you and Ema have in common! :p:
englishstudent
It's really sweet how much you and Ema have in common! :p:

^o) What are you talking about?

I doubt you meant much by it, but I don't really appreciate irrelevant personal comments being made about me in d&d threads...

ZarathustraX

Latest

Trending

Trending