The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3240
Original post by DJTom
ok cool. how are they going? yeah i have started both courses if thats what you mean.

Both are hurting upstairs. I'm not sure if that's good or bad :cool:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 3241
Original post by Moggs
Both are hurting upstairs. I'm not sure if that's good or bad :cool:

ok?
Reply 3242
Hows it going guys & girls for you?

A day ago I completed my first tma for U213, gotta do another one for dd101 this weekend!
I failed my Planets course, no resit. It doesn't really matter because I was putting the science on hold for the psychology anyway, and I did rush through it all. Waste of £150 though :sad:
Hi there :smile:

I've been thinking of doing one of these for a while (probably Chemistry with Maths). Just wondering:
1. How much value do employers give it compared to a traditional degree?
2. Do you find the modules are well-structured and well-explained?
3. Is there an option of going to a traditional university at a later stage?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by addylad
Hi there :smile:

I've been thinking of doing one of these for a while (probably Chemistry with Maths). Just wondering:
1. How much value do employers give it compared to a traditional degree?
2. Do you find the modules are well-structured and well-explained?
3. Is there an option of going to a traditional university at a later stage?

1. the same i think!
2. yes there's lots of information. it's designed so that you can find all the info on your own without t he help of a lecturer.
3. yes

in other news... i'm behind on ed209. i'm very behind on aa100. do i care at the minute? no, not really... i'm going to get the chapter for tma06 done then do the tma, and then i'll just have the eca+ and reflective assignment left... ed209 well i don't know, i need to hurry up with that >.<
Reply 3246
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I failed my Planets course, no resit. It doesn't really matter because I was putting the science on hold for the psychology anyway, and I did rush through it all. Waste of £150 though :sad:

how was the plants course overall.

ohh no!!! :frown:
Reply 3248
Original post by Juno
I got my first TMA back for DD309. I got 52 :sad:

Does the course have lots of TMA's? Having a play with the result calculator for T207, you could get about 50 for the first 10% weighted TMA and still be able to get a distinction overall by scoring high 80's in the next ones. As DD309 is a 60 pointer, I suspect a strong result would still be very possible.

Sorry to hear that :console:. If it was for personal interest though, I'm guessing all the materials are yours, so you could read over another time maybe. As long as it doesn't affect your future studies it's :cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
im still waiting for the return of my tma 5, been two weeks. :frown:
Original post by inksplodge
1. the same i think!
2. yes there's lots of information. it's designed so that you can find all the info on your own without t he help of a lecturer.
3. yes

Thanks. So, I also heard that some courses have exams too, and that you have to go to an exam centre to do it... can you shed any light on this? D:
Reply 3251
Having secured a place at uni for September, I'm probably going to cancel my place on DB123 as my likely firm have said they're not bothered about me doing it and I think I'd be better using my time to brush up on my maths and my money to save up for the old uni fund :p:

I nearly cancelled yesterday but it makes me too sad. I like the OU :frown:
Reply 3252
Original post by addylad
Thanks. So, I also heard that some courses have exams too, and that you have to go to an exam centre to do it... can you shed any light on this? D:

Yes some courses do have exams. You will have to go to a specific place to do this. They could be anywhere from local universities to sports centres, churches, community halls, wherever the OU can hire space basically. Shouldn't be too far from your house. What is it you want to know about them?
Reply 3253
Original post by inksplodge
im still waiting for the return of my tma 5, been two weeks. :frown:

My tutors seem pretty quick atm

Original post by Moggs
Does the course have lots of TMA's? Having a play with the result calculator for T207, you could get about 50 for the first 10% weighted TMA and still be able to get a distinction overall by scoring high 80's in the next ones. As DD309 is a 60 pointer, I suspect a strong result would still be very possible.

6 of em, but the first 3 are 20% each :eek:
Original post by Juno
My tutors seem pretty quick atm

well my 2nd tutor said she is busy atm so will start this coming week, but thats okay. and my other tutor just annoys me with the turnaround time.
Original post by alibee

Original post by alibee
Yes some courses do have exams. You will have to go to a specific place to do this. They could be anywhere from local universities to sports centres, churches, community halls, wherever the OU can hire space basically. Shouldn't be too far from your house. What is it you want to know about them?

Do they tend to contribute to your final mark, or are they 100% of it? Are exams compulsory for some OU degrees?

Also, I'm interested as to whether you can, say, go on from an OU degree to do a masters at a traditional university, or is this not possible? Would they even accept someone in this scenario?

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by addylad

im' not sure sorry cos i haven't done one yet! i think you go to a designed place somewhere
Original post by addylad
Do they tend to contribute to your final mark, or are they 100% of it? Are exams compulsory for some OU degrees?

Also, I've heard the title 'OU degrees' given to degrees that mix-and-match various courses. I'm interested as to whether you can, say, go on to do a masters from one of these directly at a traditional university, or is this not possible?

id say the compulsory courses have exams for some named degrees. if you just do an open degree it doesnt matter.
they have part of the final mark. i think theres OES and OCAS on all of them? so you get a mark based on the TMAs and then a mark based on OES [exam/eca] not sure how they work it out after that, id say each one is worth x amount...
Reply 3258
Original post by Juno
6 of em, but the first 3 are 20% each :eek:

:eek: Talk about dropping you in at the deep end. As the first TMA doesn't have a lower weighting, I'm assuming they allow you a substitution. A bit harsh if not.
Reply 3259
Original post by addylad

Original post by addylad

Also, I'm interested as to whether you can, say, go on from an OU degree to do a masters at a traditional university, or is this not possible? Would they even accept someone in this scenario?

If you want a named degree, you're going to have to do a good few exams. It should be possible to choose courses to get an open degree that don't involve exams but you have to ask yourself if you'll do as well as you could with that as it's hit and miss whether a course has an exam or not so you might have to pick an odd combination of courses to avoid them.

In most courses, you'll end up with an overall grade on your coursework and then a grade on your exam. Your grade for the course will normally be the lower of the two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending