The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi, I have just finished school and really undecided about whether university is for me, my A levels were not good enough to get into a good university CDD.

But I was wondering whether studying the Higher Education Course at my local college would be a better way for me? As I hate exams, is this more coursework based?

Please could I have some advice!

Thanks!
Original post by Gstar6
Hi, I have just finished school and really undecided about whether university is for me, my A levels were not good enough to get into a good university CDD.

But I was wondering whether studying the Higher Education Course at my local college would be a better way for me? As I hate exams, is this more coursework based?

Thanks!

Just a quick reply here.

Firstly you need to consider your age, I believe access courses have a lower age limit on admitting students. Something like 20yrs (I'm really unsure).

Also, most universities whom admit mature students stipulate a requirement that the student in question be 21yrs at matriculation.

I'm 20 and about to begin a CertHE course which is quite often looked at in the same way as an access course, although the structure is completely different. Dependent on whether I receive any offers, I'll be 21 when I matriculate.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Adam
Original post by Gstar6

Thanks!

The lower age limit is 19 as a minimum. There are exams and coursework (on my course I had 3 exams and 2 in class tests, one of which was a "seen" test) so you can't avoid doing both I'm afraid, you might be thinking of BTECs which I don't think include exams at all.

Universities do not specify that you have to be 21 or over but it is thought that some can look down on younger students who have used access courses because of bad A level grades, though personally I haven't seen this happen.
Phoned college and it will be here in a couple of days.
Reply 84
Just to add, you'll not find a degree course without exams, so the sooner you start getting used to them the better.
Place at Notts Trent university confirmed on UCAS at last.
Reply 86
Hey guys I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions like how much an Access course costs and how many days roughley they spread over? Also the Access course I want to apply for is Humanities it lists English Lit, Media Studies, Politics, History, Psychology & Sociology will I have to study all these courses or do I just study 3/4?
Hi, I'm hoping to start access for nursing in February and for the current year year my college are charging £268 and a £20 enrolment fee. Obviously this may change by next year but hopefully not by much. Mine will be part time on a Tuesday 2-8pm. How they expect full time workers to do that is beyond me but luckily I work part time wed-sat.

The thing I'm curious to know, how many assignments roughly do the access courses entail? I don't mind if it's a lot as I'm doing a distance learning course at the moment and I'm enjoying doing those essays but I'm just curious to know before it starts and get a shock if it's like 40 or something!!

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Universities do not specify that you have to be 21 or over but it is thought that some can look down on younger students who have used access courses because of bad A level grades, though personally I haven't seen this happen.

That seems to be a myth, or at least partly a myth, because there's plenty of 19-20 year olds on here who have got offers from good unis such as UCL, Durham, Manchester, York and so on. The only university that I know of that doesn't accept Access to HE if you're under 21 is Aston. If all universities had a problem with people under the age of 21 using an Access course, then they would surely make this clear?

I see it as just like any other Level 3 qualification. A means to an end, tbh.
Reply 89
Hi there anyone knows what are the subjects on the math acessement test to enter the HEFC?
Reply 90
Anyone doing the art and design access?
Reply 91
hii.. I am thinking of applying for an access course to mpharm so I was wondering what do you really need to get in to pharmacy with an access course, 90% or 70%? any help would be much appreciated.!

thank you
Reply 92
iam yet to join in september for ma access course i would like to ask if level 2 is ageneral pass what about level 1 does it mean that one has completly failed and cannot do the course during the assement process
Reply 93
Hi

Thank you for the info

I applied for access to HE Science in a local college in SE, I've gone for their open day and I also rang up to know about the progress of my application, I was told that I was successful and I should wait for the official communication and invitation for interview, finger crossed, I was told in the open day that I have to sit for exams before I could be admitted.

Any tips about this kind of interview and admission exams? I'd like to prepare very well before the D-Day. :smile:
Original post by Threxy
That seems to be a myth, or at least partly a myth, because there's plenty of 19-20 year olds on here who have got offers from good unis such as UCL, Durham, Manchester, York and so on. The only university that I know of that doesn't accept Access to HE if you're under 21 is Aston. If all universities had a problem with people under the age of 21 using an Access course, then they would surely make this clear?

I see it as just like any other Level 3 qualification. A means to an end, tbh.

I think the myth partially originates, due to confusion, from the position universities take regarding degrees with year zero foundation. That position being the foundation year route is not for people of normal entry age who have simply obtained poor A levels results. This is often explicitly stated on the web site.

That said I have not come across any students going to Durham via Access to HE, irrespective of age, including those heading for the foundation centre for year zero.

Yet Durham does have a page stating how Access Distinctions and Merits map to the standard A level grade offers. That page states no upper or lower age limit. Individual departments can deviate from the stated mapping though I guess History, Geography and Physics might be challenging given the standard offer is A*AA.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by evening sunrise
I think the myth partially originates, due to confusion, from the position universities take regarding degrees with year zero foundation. That position being the foundation year route is not for people of normal entry age who have simply obtained poor A levels results. This is often explicitly stated on the web site.

That said I have not come across any students going to Durham via Access to HE, irrespective of age, including those heading for the foundation centre for year zero.

Yet Durham does have a page stating how Access Distinctions and Merits map to the standard A level grade offers. That page states no upper or lower age limit. Individual departments can deviate from the stated mapping though I guess History, Geography and Physics might be challenging given the standard offer is A*AA.

Hi,

I've just finished the Access to HE course and have an offer to study Criminology at Durham. They do need high grades (for me it was at least 30 credits at distinction and the rest at merit), but it is possible to get an offer. I got my results back today and will be going to Durham in October!
Original post by sarahwilson85
Hi,

I've just finished the Access to HE course and have an offer to study Criminology at Durham. They do need high grades (for me it was at least 30 credits at distinction and the rest at merit), but it is possible to get an offer. I got my results back today and will be going to Durham in October!

Excellent, another student at last. I will definately be there too.

I visited last week, it was just as beautiful as I remember when we stayed at the university for the week back in 1986.

Congratulations on your results.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by evening sunrise
Excellent, another student at last. I will definately be there too.

I visited last week, it was just as beautiful as I remember when we stayed at the university for the week back in 1986.

Congratulations on your results.

What subject will you be studying? Do you know your college yet? Mine is St. Aiden's. I'm from Durham so I won't be living in college. I'm 27, so a mature student too.

and thank you! makes the Access course worthwhile!
Original post by sarahwilson85
What subject will you be studying? Do you know your college yet? Mine is St. Aiden's. I'm from Durham so I won't be living in college. I'm 27, so a mature student too.

and thank you! makes the Access course worthwhile!

I am in St John's. I am on the BSc Archaeology, I visited the college and department last week, although I did stay at the uni for a week back in 1986 and hence knew something about it. I will not be living in college either, we will be renting in Durham as my wife will be on the BSc Environmental Science at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, she starts in September and two of our four kids will still be with us. We both almost but not quite twice your age.

Big decision for us is whether to rent our house out and stay in Durham for 3 years solid, or leave it empty and come back each summer during the school holidays to see family and friends.

We are both getting frustrated now as we have had our offers since mid December and we have not had the "excitement" of assignments, exams or waiting for results, to make the time fly by.
Original post by zizebra@
iam yet to join in september for ma access course i would like to ask if level 2 is ageneral pass what about level 1 does it mean that one has completly failed and cannot do the course during the assement process

Access courses zizebra are most usually assessed at 3 levels.Level 2 is usually on a par to a GCSE equivalent level whilst Level 3 is equivalent to A level standard whilst level 1 is just below level 2.
This also depends on the College concerned and how they assess Access applicants.So i do suggest you contact the college you will be attending and ask them
When you pass assignments at level 3 for example you get graded pass,merit or distinction,distinction is the highest grade you can obtain,if you do assignment for level 2 however you can only achieve a pass grade.
At the College i studied we only had 2 modules at level 2 which was worth 6 credits and the remainder credits was at level 3.
Again this is rather dependent on what Access Open college network you are with.

Quick Reply