The Student Room Group

People with mediocre grades should not be allowed to go to university

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought that phrase was relating to the fact that not everyone enjoys the whole experience?
Agreed.. some people just go because they aren't entirely sure what their next step is and drop out soon after they start...Everyone should have the chance to university education but only if they are of a certain standard
I agree with you (almost) entirely.

But the problem that exists at the moment is that people that don't go to university are disadvantaged in terms of future employment or at the very least believe that they will be.

I'm all for fewer universities with fewer courses and fewer places, with higher requirements. It is a little elitist, but I honestly think that the university system loses value if it's NOT elitist. Of course there should be opportunities for people who aren't incredible academically and I think the increasing availability and quality of vocational courses is a good thing.
Reply 4
I think BBB/AA should be the minimum requirement for university's, anything less and you're better off getting a job or a more vocational qualification.
Reply 5
Original post by Adidas90
Better delete your account then hadn't you son

So what should the cut off be then?
I got poor grades. I'm at University. Does this anger you?

Guess what? There's nothing you can do about it. Tee hee.
Reply 7
Universities only want your monies, standards don't mean too much.
Let everyone hand over their money and have a fun time and university.
And I presume you go/are going to a decent Uni so what does it matter to you?
Reply 8
I care because it devalues degrees and university in general, gives people false hope and makes the state of the country's unemployment even worse.

What a load of bullpoo. A degree from Oxbridge/most elitist places isn't "devalued" because people do "lesser" degrees.
Reply 9
I got BDD at A level and finished last year of university with 82.65%. Academic performance before university means nothing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
**** grades, mediocre people should not be allowed to go to university.
No, you think you're at university but just about the only thing it has in common with a real university is the fact they both take your money (but only one yields something worth paying for).

Sit down, son.

In my class there are people who paid thousands of pounds to attend private school. It's hilarious.
(edited 12 years ago)
What about those poor individuals who were underachievers in their early/mid-teens, who never got to show their true potential because of poor schools, poor teachers and lack of motivation. I know some people like that, and they ended up doing really well at university.
Original post by Captain Obvi0us
What about those poor individuals who were underachievers in their early/mid-teens, who never got to show their true potential because of poor schools, poor teachers and lack of motivation. I know some people like that, and they ended up doing really well at university.

OP wants them to spend 20 years in college just so they can prove to him they are worth his time.
Reply 14
I had mediocre GCSE's. Failed A Levels. Did a National Diploma and guess what?... I got into Exeter.

:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what OP thinks, he can't change it even if he wanted too, all opinions are valid but at the same time they are powerless. Doesn't mean ****.
Original post by Captain Obvi0us

This. You can't just dismiss the underprivileged because of their poor grades which could have been a consequence of a poor upbringing. What about the child carers? Why should they not be able to go to university despite them putting in an incredible amount of effort? Yet their grades suffered because of the fact they had to look after someone at home 24/7. 'Mitigating circumstances' don't account to that much nowadays, these better universities that you're talking about allow for a few UMS at the most, courses are now so competitive they have to be brutal and let them down, causing them to go to lesser institutions.
I often read the phrase; "University should be for everyone"

This is absolutely ridiculous. University should be for hard-working people with a decent academic record. University is NOT for everyone and people who attain grades below a certain level should not be allowed to go. You have to be cruel to be kind and by having lower grade universities with courses with very low entry requirements, people are simply being enticed to a world of debt they will never pay off due to having poor employment prospects once they graduate.

Even putting employment aside and arguing for interest in a subject giving right to study it, I also disagree with this. No "university" should exist with entry requirements as low as CCC, CDD, etcetera IMO, because such individuals simply aren't cut out for university academically, regardless of whether or not they have an interest in a subject and would "really enjoy" studying it. If you enjoy a subject but average Cs and Ds in your A levels then a degree isn't for you, research the subject all you want at night classes/the local library, your time and bank balance would be better served.

If your A levels are poor due to your own effort and general capacity then A levels should be the limit of how far you can continue your education. Don't like it? Do your A levels again until you are up to an academic standard that would suit university education, rather than opening low grade institutions and saying "oh it's ok you can come do a 'degree' here".

"University" no longer means what it used to, and by having endless low level institutions giving out "degrees" in ridiculous subjects, degrees are being devalued year after year.

Discuss

I may have agreed with you had it been the case that people with those grades went to universities would always end up failing to get the minimum pass mark. But, that's just not the case. People go to university and can get good grades at university even if they didn't do well at A-level. It does not in anyway 'devalue' the university or its awards. out for You say they "aren't cut out for university academically... ". They clearly are if they end up getting the same grade as you.
I couldn't agree more.
Original post by Costalo
I had mediocre GCSE's. Failed A Levels. Did a National Diploma and guess what?... I got into Exeter.

:biggrin:

For what course?

Quick Reply