The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NutterFrutter
All medical schools do.

That is most definitely not true otherwise I wouldn't even be looking to apply haha
Original post by franynli

That is most definitely not true otherwise I wouldn't even be looking to apply haha

You have to be over 18 at the start of the course.
Reply 62
You have to be over 18 at the start of the course.

Southampton specifically?

Southampton specifically?

For all medicine courses you have to be over 18 at the start of the course.
Reply 64
For all medicine courses you have to be over 18 at the start of the course.

I can name you many that do not require it. Aberdeen, Brighton and Sussex, Hull York, Nottingham and I would know cause I have asked them directly.
Southampton admissions has not replied me this is why I would like to know if anyone here knows Southampton has a age requirement.
Reply 65
I can name you many that do not require it. Aberdeen, Brighton and Sussex, Hull York, Nottingham and I would know cause I have asked them directly.
Southampton admissions has not replied me this is why I would like to know if anyone here knows Southampton has a age requirement.

Hold on, why are you even applying if you aren't going to be 18 when you start the course? :s-smilie:Whats the point in going early?

I'm tempted by Southampton, but I'm hoping to go visit to be sure. I can't decide whether the non-interview thing is good for me or not :/ its been playing on my mind for ages!
Reply 66
Original post by twelve
Hold on, why are you even applying if you aren't going to be 18 when you start the course? :s-smilie:Whats the point in going early?

I just need to know if southampton has a age requirement?
its not starting early, i skipped a year before so im actually younger than the age group that is at year 13 now.
its not starting early, i skipped a year before so im actually younger than the age group that is at year 13 now.

Maybe you can give them a call?
Reply 68
Original post by runawayxtrain
Maybe you can give them a call?

no its okay thanks i just received an email today and 17 is fine
How do Southampton rank things, would anyone know?
Am I right in saying that Southampton will still consider candidates who are re-sitting a single A level subject? Providing the meet all the other criteria of course!
Thanks
Original post by Long Time Coming
How do Southampton rank things, would anyone know?

Once you meet the entry requirements, they pretty much use your personal statement to give out offers.
Original post by BlissJunkie
Once you meet the entry requirements, they pretty much use your personal statement to give out offers.

Oh my god, is it really that bad?
Reply 73

Well that makes sense. Just curious, but how are you going to deal with the whole not being able to go out with friends thing when you get there? Are you worried about that?
Reply 74
Original post by twelve
Well that makes sense. Just curious, but how are you going to deal with the whole not being able to go out with friends thing when you get there? Are you worried about that?

That's the least thing I would be worried about right now and I'm not that much younger. My birthday is in December so yeaa
Reply 75

Do you know what they like to see most of in the personal statement (w/e or extra curricular etc)?
Original post by Long Time Coming
Oh my god, is it really that bad?

For me, it's sort of good because my academics aren't so great. :tongue:

Original post by Erotas
Do you know what they like to see most of in the personal statement (w/e or extra curricular etc)?

Not really sure :frown: Their website states:
In addition to academic entry requirements, the selectors will look at your UCAS personal statement and reference for evidence of non-academic criteria.

You will be asked to demonstrate that you:

are self-motivated and have initiative
are literate and articulate
are able to interact successfully with others
have learnt from your experiences of interacting with people in health or social care settings this may draw on what you have learnt from your own life experiences (e.g. friends and family), or more formalised activity (e.g. paid or voluntary work, or work shadowing)

Though I guess it's not that clear on what they really want.
Reply 77
For me, it's sort of good because my academics aren't so great. :tongue:

Not really sure :frown: Their website states:
In addition to academic entry requirements, the selectors will look at your UCAS personal statement and reference for evidence of non-academic criteria.

You will be asked to demonstrate that you:

are self-motivated and have initiative
are literate and articulate
are able to interact successfully with others
have learnt from your experiences of interacting with people in health or social care settings this may draw on what you have learnt from your own life experiences (e.g. friends and family), or more formalised activity (e.g. paid or voluntary work, or work shadowing)

Though I guess it's not that clear on what they really want.

Ahh okay! Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something that everyone else knows lol - thanks anyway :smile:
I'm going to apply to Southampton ! Not very sure about the no interviews thing, but I really like it ! I need to make sure my personal statement is great though...
Reply 79
How does Soton use GCSE results?

Quick Reply

Latest