The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CocaineSquirrel
I'm applying to Aberdeen and was wondering, why did you choose to study there?
Did you get offers from other universities?
Aberdeen is the only open day I haven't managed to attend so I would be grateful if you could tell me what you like/dislike about the curriculum.

Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

I posted this a few pages back :smile::

When I applied to university I didn't really have a clear idea where I wanted to go. Having visited all the unis which offer medicine, I began to notice the difference between the larger, more 'elite' institutions (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and the smaller ones (Dundee and Aberdeen). The latter unis seemed to try a lot harder to encourage me to study there, it felt that way to me anyway

The interview experience only concreted this. At Glasgow I felt extremely intimidated by the staff and the whole environment, whereas Aberdeen were welcoming and friendly even when asking difficult questions In the end the friendliness of the staff and the fact that Aberdeen felt more homely was the reason I turned down my Glasgow offer to study in Aberdeen.

If you look at the University of Aberdeen as a whole, it isn't as big or shiny as Edinburgh or Glasgow. The city is nowhere near as cosmopolitan. But the quality of teaching and the medical school's reputation within the profession are both excellent. I do not regret choosing Aberdeen at all and would strongly recommend it to all of you I have listed below a few observations about the course in the past year.

Pros

Students are taught in systems. We do anatomy and physiology of each system (e.g cardiovascular, respiratory)and then pathology, clinical treatment and pharmacology.

Clinical skills from the first year. Starting from the basics of history taking and examination, all the time interacting with volunteer patients and then real patients on weekly ward sessions.

Staff and students are all fantastically friendly. We are a slightly smaller medical school with (come 2011) a 160 intake each year. As such you get to know most people quite quickly and develop your own group of mates.

Though the medical school is a trek away, once you get there you have 1000+ beds directly across the road. The ARI+Royal Aberdeen Childrens'+Aberdeen Maternity hospital site at Foresterhill offer every specialty and clinical procedure under the sun.

Nearly all your tutorials involve clinicians teaching you or supervising you. This makes the whole thing more real and gives you the chance to find out directly how they use the knowledge.

The MedSoc organize great social events such as beerienteering which are always well attended and rather epic fun.

Cons

Anatomy. Prosection is fine, it's just the sessions generally which are difficult to follow. The learning outcomes could be a lot clearer.

Community course. Possibly the single largest waste of your time. Ever. Though the subject matter is interesting (as Rabbitt said) the method of assessment is such that it is pretty much impossible to fail. Not much incentive to really learn anything.

First year can seem rather disjointed at times. Course is still very new and is being tweaked every year. They add in seemingly random seminars and lectures which, though interesting, don't really flow well into the course.

The medical school is at least 30 minutes walk away from every uni or private halls in the city.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
They have clearly not factored in that I have to return at some point (though if they would like to tear down that thing that looks like a zebra **** a glass brick and return my beloved QML, I'd be more than pleased).

The new library is actually amazing....and QML will be a pile of bricks by 2012 :biggrin:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Hi there,

I posted this a few pages back :smile::

When I applied to university I didn't really have a clear idea where I wanted to go. Having visited all the unis which offer medicine, I began to notice the difference between the larger, more 'elite' institutions (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and the smaller ones (Dundee and Aberdeen). The latter unis seemed to try a lot harder to encourage me to study there, it felt that way to me anyway

The interview experience only concreted this. At Glasgow I felt extremely intimidated by the staff and the whole environment, whereas Aberdeen were welcoming and friendly even when asking difficult questions In the end the friendliness of the staff and the fact that Aberdeen felt more homely was the reason I turned down my Glasgow offer to study in Aberdeen.

If you look at the University of Aberdeen as a whole, it isn't as big or shiny as Edinburgh or Glasgow. The city is nowhere near as cosmopolitan. But the quality of teaching and the medical school's reputation within the profession are both excellent. I do not regret choosing Aberdeen at all and would strongly recommend it to all of you I have listed below a few observations about the course in the past year.

Pros

Students are taught in systems. We do anatomy and physiology of each system (e.g cardiovascular, respiratory)and then pathology, clinical treatment and pharmacology.

Clinical skills from the first year. Starting from the basics of history taking and examination, all the time interacting with volunteer patients and then real patients on weekly ward sessions.

Staff and students are all fantastically friendly. We are a slightly smaller medical school with (come 2011) a 160 intake each year. As such you get to know most people quite quickly and develop your own group of mates.

Though the medical school is a trek away, once you get there you have 1000+ beds directly across the road. The ARI+Royal Aberdeen Childrens'+Aberdeen Maternity hospital site at Foresterhill offer every specialty and clinical procedure under the sun.

Nearly all your tutorials involve clinicians teaching you or supervising you. This makes the whole thing more real and gives you the chance to find out directly how they use the knowledge.

The MedSoc organize great social events such as beerienteering which are always well attended and rather epic fun.

Cons

Anatomy. Prosection is fine, it's just the sessions generally which are difficult to follow. The learning outcomes could be a lot clearer.

Community course. Possibly the single largest waste of your time. Ever. Though the subject matter is interesting (as Rabbitt said) the method of assessment is such that it is pretty much impossible to fail. Not much incentive to really learn anything.

First year can seem rather disjointed at times. Course is still very new and is being tweaked every year. They add in seemingly random seminars and lectures which, though interesting, don't really flow well into the course.

The medical school is at least 30 minutes walk away from every uni or private halls in the city.

Sorry, I should have checked back before asking! :doh:

Although I would love to stay in Glasgow, I hear more and more people complaining that you have to "teach yourself the course" as there is little help available outside lectures/PBLs. It's good to hear that the staff in Aberdeen are friendly and helpful.

For some reason, pupils from my school have only been accepted by Aberdeen in recent years so, it's looking like that's where I might end up.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it's been very useful! :biggrin:
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
Sorry, I should have checked back before asking! :doh:

Although I would love to stay in Glasgow, I hear more and more people complaining that you have to "teach yourself the course" as there is little help available outside lectures/PBLs. It's good to hear that the staff in Aberdeen are friendly and helpful.

For some reason, pupils from my school have only been accepted by Aberdeen in recent years so, it's looking like that's where I might end up.

Thank you for the detailed reply, it's been very useful! :biggrin:

I'm sure it is simply coincidence that a lot of people from your school have been accepted.

If you ever have any other questions then give me a shout :smile:
Reply 124
anyone know what the ukcat cur off was last year and what it may be this year. I got 663 this and just wondering if i had a chance? :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by George89
anyone know what the ukcat cur off was last year and what it may be this year. I got 663 this and just wondering if i had a chance? :smile:

There isn't a cut-off like at Glasgow. They use it in selection for interview but it isn't the only factor. Have a look at this: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/admissions/requirements/

Applicants to Aberdeen offer a broad range of UKCAT scores. For 2011 entry:
the lowest total score for an applicant was 1640 and the highest 3350
the lowest total score for applicants made offers was 1790 and the highest 3310

This is also pretty handy: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/planning/application/
does any one know whether aberdeen favours scottish students like edingborough? and do the other scottish unis favour scottish students over English students? thanks.
Original post by withoutwax1111
does any one know whether aberdeen favours scottish students like edingborough? and do the other scottish unis favour scottish students over English students? thanks.

Aberdeen do not.
Original post by withoutwax1111

*edinburgh :tongue:
Reply 129
Yea Aberdeen seem alot nicer than other uni's !
Does anyone know how they score the academic section.
Do aberdeen look at AS grades or predicted ?
Reply 132
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
Do aberdeen look at AS grades or predicted ?

I rang aberdeen a week ago and they said to me that they dont look at AS's or GCSE's, they only check them to see if you meet minimum entry requirements . They said that they look at your predicted grades and check them with your AS's (to check that theyre not outrageous) but AS's arent used in the selection process for interview. They also said to me that even if i was predicted A*A*A* i still wouldnt get the full 25% for academics, only a graduate would get the full 25% or someone that actually has their A-levels or Highers.

So basically its nearly all down to your PS(22%) and ukcat(8%) i think and of course interview(45%). :cool:
Thanks for the info !

But I don't understand, if they only check GCSE and AS to see do they meet minimum requirements. Does that mean the 25% section for academics is based solely on predicted grades ?
Reply 134
Yea apparently they use just the predicted grades but the max % for someone with predicted grades is capped ( probs something like 18%, i asked but they wouldn't tell me!). And then for someone who actually has their a-levels or highers or a graduate degree they can get the full 25%.
Ok, thanks for the help !
Reply 136
Original post by maemg
Yea apparently they use just the predicted grades but the max % for someone with predicted grades is capped ( probs something like 18%, i asked but they wouldn't tell me!). And then for someone who actually has their a-levels or highers or a graduate degree they can get the full 25%.

Does this mean if I apply with AAAA in my A-Levels i will get the full 25%. Or would that require A*'s??
Reply 137
I'm not sure, i asked them if i had predicted A*A*A* or had got A*A*A* in my a-levels would i get the full 25%? and they said they couldn't tell me, they said i wouldscore highly though ?
**** medicine... getting into it is so bloody difficult! If you get into medicine then BRAVO - i respect you blud.
(edited 12 years ago)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Scottish applicants apply with known higher grades.

And English/Scottish/NIrish only usually apply with predictions (If they're first time)

Aberdeen told you that you couldn't get full marks unless you have achieved grades, so does this mean that Scottish applicants have a much much better chance of getting in, as they have known grades and therefore can achieve the maximum 25%.

Again I may be wrong but is this true ?

Quick Reply