The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA1 Unit 1 Psychology 10th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by x.Charlotte
Ahhhh, I'm literally looking at some of the past papers and going, what on earth does that mean! I'm really struggling with memory, funny that haha :P.

Memory's the easier half of the exam for me:colondollar:
Original post by Deyesy
Memory's the easier half of the exam for me:colondollar:

I find research methods easier.... pahha I think i'm just struggling because I keep avoiding it :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by x.Charlotte
I find research methods easier.... pahha I think i'm just struggling because I keep avoiding it :biggrin:

Well since I had to do them for my A2 Sociology exam in June, I'm absolutely sick to death of them :tongue:

Reallyyy what you should do is on some nights start with the bits you find hardest and alternate them :smile:
Reply 43
I'm resitting this exam and sitting the year thirteen exam in January. I'm predicted an A but I have to do well in both, eeeeek.
I have a revision guide for it, but it's not very good, I'd recommend flash cards, I used them last year and again this year, very useful :smile:

Original post by hhh123
Haha same I am currently revising for PSYA4 which is a nightmare... I've barely started revision for PSYA1 (I'm year 13 and am resitting it!)

I'm the same as you but in reverse, I haven't even opened my revision book for the half I'm doing now... *facepalm*
Reply 44
Original post by Mephestic

Original post by Mephestic
If anyone wants any advice feel free to ask;

I did this while working full-time as well as paper 2 and managed two A's with only 3 months revision for both.

They way I did it was firstly I went to the AQA website and printed off the specification - in there it tells you everything you need to revise.

Then print off the last 4-5 papers and see what the 12 markers were on and depending on that you can hedge your bets on what is likely to come up.
Most 12 markers have been asked - I reckon the Multi-store memory model is possible as if i recall when I was revising for May 25th exam - that hadnt come up for a while?

Eitherway ; best tactics I found was to write write write and re-write everything non-stop.

I would sit for hours re-writing things until I knew it - I recited it to myself in my sleep and while I had a shower.

Eventually you become a demon and can recall everything.

As for memorising numerous studies; Use acronyms

For example WHRSM was related to daycare and I simply memorised this acronym - every letter relates to a researchers name and it will trigger your memory if you remember it enough.

I memorised about 3-4 sets of these which game me about 20 researchers - its easy once you keep re-writing them.

Also do past papers over and over and compare your answers to the mark schemes as I was writing answers the first few times and thinking they were right for certain - but when comparing to the mark scheme they werent enough for full marks!

The mark scheme tells you how they want you to answer things and all answers need to be expanded in a particular way. Read the markschemes and they will show you.

Its time consuming yes and requires patience but believe me it pays off in the end.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I am just bricking it for paper 3 right now - its a bloody nightmere..

-Meph

I found this very useful! I am sitting the 2 units for AS in Jan and I am so stressed out.. I am doing set assignments I have to do at the minute but I just think the info isn't staying in.. I am so worried and really need help.. If you have any good sites..notes..videos or whatever that you think will help can you please message me ! Thank you :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by geekinthemaking

Thought I'd create a thread for this exam..

How's the revision going?
What are your target grades...

Anyone know what the possible 12 mark essay could be based on..

Please discuss.

Hey I think this post was very useful! I am taking both units in Jan and I am sooo worried ! I really need a good grade for what I want to do at uni so I was wondering if you could help.. if you know anything that might help me with revision.. notes.. videos..websites..whatever it takes.. I'm new to this and studying at home.. I would be so grateful for any advice :smile: Thanks
Reply 46
Thought I'd create a thread for this exam..

How's the revision going?
What are your target grades...

Anyone know what the possible 12 mark essay could be based on..

Please discuss.

Revision is going ok.... Suffering from depression at the moment so kind of struggling but trying to really push myself.

No idea about the 12 mark essay :/ which scares me slightly... I wish we knew it in advance... but then what's the point in an exam if we know the content :tongue: haha

Target grade = A :eek:

EDIT: Mock tomorrow... Will let you know how it goes.... aaahhh... BREATHE DEEP BREATHS :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by zoemoran
I found this very useful! I am sitting the 2 units for AS in Jan and I am so stressed out.. I am doing set assignments I have to do at the minute but I just think the info isn't staying in.. I am so worried and really need help.. If you have any good sites..notes..videos or whatever that you think will help can you please message me ! Thank you :smile:

If you have a decent textbook - summerise the main bits as best you can as you dont need to know everything - just enough for how many marks they ever ask you.

For the 12 mark question; just memorise 6 marks worth of an explanation with good depth and then 6 marks worth in evaluation which can be 3 points really which are simply expanded well.
Reply 48
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
I'm really finding it hard to remember all the researchers names and dates, I'm actually making the names and dates up when we're doing practice questions :frown:

Research methods :angry:

I have not a clue what to learn for research methods.
Original post by cdoyle
I have not a clue what to learn for research methods.

The main things I'm guessing are gonna come up in the exam are ethical issues, experimental design, directional and non-directional hypotheses and things like that.
Reply 51
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
The main things I'm guessing are gonna come up in the exam are ethical issues, experimental design, directional and non-directional hypotheses and things like that.

thank you! good luck with your revision!
Reply 52
would some nice, kind, soul ... implant all of their knowledge into my brain for this exam?! :biggrin:

edit: what's with the negging?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Ok I think I am getting a little bit confused over Bowlbys explanation of attachment (The Evolutionary Theory). Please could somebody check this paragraph, and give me some advice. Many thanks.

Bowlby argued that the evolutionary pressures within every day life have led humans to develop attachments which activate behaviours and therefore cause caregivers to maintain proximity. These behaviours typically include crying and clinging. Bowlby also suggested that caregivers and infants are genetically predisposed to respond to one another and thus have caring responses. These are called ‘social releasers’ and typically include smiling and gazing. These processes mean that the care giver and infant are constantly kept in close proximity.

I am not sure whether I am missing anything? (I do not have a teacher to check this against as I am teaching it to myself.)
Reply 54
Original post by hhh123
Ok I think I am getting a little bit confused over Bowlbys explanation of attachment (The Evolutionary Theory). Please could somebody check this paragraph, and give me some advice. Many thanks.

Bowlby argued that the evolutionary pressures within every day life have led humans to develop attachments which activate behaviours and therefore cause caregivers to maintain proximity. These behaviours typically include crying and clinging. Bowlby also suggested that caregivers and infants are genetically predisposed to respond to one another and thus have caring responses. These are called ‘social releasers’ and typically include smiling and gazing. These processes mean that the care giver and infant are constantly kept in close proximity.

I am not sure whether I am missing anything? (I do not have a teacher to check this against as I am teaching it to myself.)

I'd also include that according to Bowlbly, attachment forms during a critical period (up to 2 and a half years) or never at all. Bowlby also proposed the internal working model and said that the attachment formed acts as a template for all other relationships. I learnt Bowlby's theory usign this..

A- adaptive
I- innately programmed
C- critical period
I- internal working model
C- continuity hypothesis

It looks strange but it works! :P Best of luck x
Reply 55
Thanks so much s_axo. I will be learning that!

I have a feeling that the 12 mark question will be based upon explanations of attachment? If i'm right in saying this hasn't appeared in past papers?
Reply 56
Hi, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on revision? So far, I've got a mindmap with summarised information which I keep reading over but I'm not sure if that's enough to encode it into my long-term memory (:wink:)

Also, when I do past papers I noticed that the answers are always very articulate and 'wordy', is that necessary or would just quickly writing key points in sentences suffice?

Thank you and good luck to you all. :biggrin:
Reply 57
Original post by LeaX
Hi, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on revision? So far, I've got a mindmap with summarised information which I keep reading over but I'm not sure if that's enough to encode it into my long-term memory (:wink:)

Also, when I do past papers I noticed that the answers are always very articulate and 'wordy', is that necessary or would just quickly writing key points in sentences suffice?

Thank you and good luck to you all. :biggrin:

I am an A2 student but I am resitting this unit 1 module in Jan as I didn't do too well in it last year. However, in the unit 2 exam in June I got a grade A. My revision technique was simply re-writting everything over and over and over again. It worked for me. It meant when I got in the exam my brain didn't have to do ALL the work; but instead my hand did :- )

And as for the mark schemes, I have also found them very precise. But I think that getting the key point down and then elaborating will do the trick.
Reply 58
Original post by hhh123
Thanks so much s_axo. I will be learning that!

I have a feeling that the 12 mark question will be based upon explanations of attachment? If i'm right in saying this hasn't appeared in past papers?

It's ok :smile: happy to help

Explanations on attachment did actually come up! :frown: Would have been nice though!!
Reply 59
Original post by s_axo
I'd also include that according to Bowlbly, attachment forms during a critical period (up to 2 and a half years) or never at all. Bowlby also proposed the internal working model and said that the attachment formed acts as a template for all other relationships. I learnt Bowlby's theory usign this..

A- adaptive
I- innately programmed
C- critical period
I- internal working model
C- continuity hypothesis

It looks strange but it works! :P Best of luck x

We've been told to learn it like this:

M - Monotropic
U - Universally innate
S - Social releasers
I - Internal working model
C- Critical period