The Student Room Group

What are the most difficult Engineering courses/ degrees at Uni?

Title.
It depends on the person studying it!

The topics I tended to find most difficult (as did a lot of my colleagues) were:
Information Engineering, which isn't as likely to be a course in itself but will be involved in an electronics or software course. Lots of maths in the frequency domain.
Thermodynamics, likely to crop up in Mechanical / Aeronautical - I found the concepts difficult to visualise as it's all heat flow.
As a degree, people tend to say Aerospace is the most difficult Engineering branch but I'm not sure if I agree since the only thing that makes it difficult is that we cover several different disciplines. I find EEE extremely difficult since I find it hard to visualise what's going on but a lot of my friends seem to find it quite easy/enjoyable. We all agree though that control systems engineering is a hard subject since a lot of it requires some fairly complex maths and in depth understanding.
Original post by thefish_uk
It depends on the person studying it!

The topics I tended to find most difficult (as did a lot of my colleagues) were:
Information Engineering, which isn't as likely to be a course in itself but will be involved in an electronics or software course. Lots of maths in the frequency domain.
Thermodynamics, likely to crop up in Mechanical / Aeronautical - I found the concepts difficult to visualise as it's all heat flow.

Swap Thermo for Fluids
Original post by united.spammers
As a degree, people tend to say Aerospace is the most difficult Engineering branch but I'm not sure if I agree since the only thing that makes it difficult is that we cover several different disciplines. I find EEE extremely difficult since I find it hard to visualise what's going on but a lot of my friends seem to find it quite easy/enjoyable. We all agree though that control systems engineering is a hard subject since a lot of it requires some fairly complex maths and in depth understanding.

EEE is a mind**** for me

Love aero ^^ . People say it's hard because when you see fluid mechanics for the first time in your life you rational mind is abandoning you.
Reply 5
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
EEE is a mind**** for me

Love aero ^^ . People say it's hard because when you see fluid mechanics for the first time in your life you rational mind is abandoning you.

I Lol'd. What about Mechanical Engineering?
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Swap Thermo for Fluids

Hmmm, when it started to get really hard for us (in 2nd year), thermodynamics and fluids were being taught as the same thing!
Original post by thefish_uk
Hmmm, when it started to get really hard for us (in 2nd year), thermodynamics and fluids were being taught as the same thing!

We have a single exam for both of these subjects ^^ (thermofluids) but lectures are separate.
Original post by Zuki
I Lol'd. What about Mechanical Engineering?

Fluid Mechanics is a core mechanical engineering discipline. Aerodynamics in aero engineering is an application of fluids =)

In mechanical engineering, personally I find Mechatronics a real pain in the ass hence why I said that EEE must be a mind****.
The class I find most difficult on my course is analogue circuit analysis, it can be a pain.

It just depends on your strengths and weaknesses
Reply 10
Overall I think EE and software is, but that is because none of those principles are mandatory these days in education....say for some electronics in physics.

Quick Reply

Latest