The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Has anybody been volunteering in a care home? I've started a few days ago at a local care home but I dunno I felt sort of awkward and even a bit anxious working there :s-smilie:

Maybe it's because I need time to settle down (never really had experience in dealing with the elderly before) but I don't know how to speak to the residents, or what exactly to talk to them about (I feel like I might offend them or something). They all seem to talk about things that happened 50/60 years ago so I wouldn't be able to join in with their conversation anyway.

Has anybody been in a similar situation ? Could you tell me how you dealt with it and how I should go about this? Thanks :redface:

I volunteer at a hospital. After bout an hour, the staff don't really know what to do with me so they just let me shadow them on obs (W/E!)
I feel so out of place when an elderly patient is speaking about their loose bowel movements in front of me, a little sixth former.
I can't even look in the patients' eyes... ::tongue:

Just make little small talk. I've found that elderly people are usually appreciative for really any social contact. They're not picky like teens!
When they talk about the good old days, just say things like "really?" "What was that like" "That must've been fun"
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anybody been volunteering in a care home? I've started a few days ago at a local care home but I dunno I felt sort of awkward and even a bit anxious working there :s-smilie:

Maybe it's because I need time to settle down (never really had experience in dealing with the elderly before) but I don't know how to speak to the residents, or what exactly to talk to them about (I feel like I might offend them or something). They all seem to talk about things that happened 50/60 years ago so I wouldn't be able to join in with their conversation anyway.

Has anybody been in a similar situation ? Could you tell me how you dealt with it and how I should go about this? Thanks :redface:

I volunteer with Age UK at a community cafe where people have memory problems. It's both similar and different to your experience. I have however had brief experience of care homes with my own family.

Something to remember is that many of the elderly people do not want to be there. Most want to be at home where they feel comfortable. Some will cry but it's important at that time to be as comforting as possible, let them know you care and just converse with whatever seems right. :smile: remember they're still human too and, on the whole, enjoy your company.

:smile: good luck!
Original post by AspiringGenius
I volunteer with Age UK at a community cafe where people have memory problems. It's both similar and different to your experience. I have however had brief experience of care homes with my own family.

Something to remember is that many of the elderly people do not want to be there. Most want to be at home where they feel comfortable. Some will cry but it's important at that time to be as comforting as possible, let them know you care and just converse with whatever seems right. :smile: remember they're still human too and, on the whole, enjoy your company.

:smile: good luck!

Ah thanks :smile: And I've never thought of it that way - I'll take that into account when I go there next week.
Ah thanks :smile: And I've never thought of it that way - I'll take that into account when I go there next week.

It's different at Age UK, but when I did GP shadowing, I briefly visited the nurse home with my GP and both weren't happy. My grandmother also wanted to be home. It can be really painful having to be dependent on people and more often than not the caters don't give people the time of day so just wear a smile, hold their hand if it seems appropriate. :smile: you will start to relax into the role!
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Thread two! It's all shiny and new :party:

If you're new here, this is the thread for current year 12s (2011-12) who are hoping to apply for medicine for 2013 entry. Common topics in this thread are angst, discussions about our applications such as work experience and entrance exams, more angst and inappropriate conversations.

The mods combined them and put me as the oP. I'm a model!
Original post by Jemine1
I volunteer at a hospital. After bout an hour, the staff don't really know what to do with me so they just let me shadow them on obs (W/E!)
I feel so out of place when an elderly patient is speaking about their loose bowel movements in front of me, a little sixth former.
I can't even look in the patients' eyes... ::tongue:

Just make little small talk. I've found that elderly people are usually appreciative for really any social contact. They're not picky like teens!
When they talk about the good old days, just say things like "really?" "What was that like" "That must've been fun"

Wow you're so lucky - both volunteering and work experience in one go :P

Yeah thats exactly how I feel - I just end up smiling awkwardly at them lol.

I'll try to make more small talk with them when I go next week - hopefully i'll feel a bit more comfortable. Is there any topic/questions I should avoid? Thins that might make them feel uncomfortable or 'old' if you know what I mean? I don't want to end up upsetting them :s-smilie:

Btw do you volunteer on the hospital wards? What to you normally do there if you dont mind me asking :P ?
It's different at Age UK, but when I did GP shadowing, I briefly visited the nurse home with my GP and both weren't happy. My grandmother also wanted to be home. It can be really painful having to be dependent on people and more often than not the caters don't give people the time of day so just wear a smile, hold their hand if it seems appropriate. :smile: you will start to relax into the role!

When you say 'both weren't happy' who are you talking about :redface: ?

Even though i've only volunteered for 2 hrs I have very briefly noticed that a few of the residents seem to have a sort of pained expression when talking about their children :s-smilie: I dunno maybe i'm just imagining it...

Yeah I do try to wear a smile at all times. Some of the residents are just so sweet and I would love to hear their stories and yeah like you you said it's probably only a matter of time before I get settled in properly :smile:
Missed the ending of the previous thread :sad:
When you say 'both weren't happy' who are you talking about :redface: ?

Even though i've only volunteered for 2 hrs I have very briefly noticed that a few of the residents seem to have a sort of pained expression when talking about their children :s-smilie: I dunno maybe i'm just imagining it...

Yeah I do try to wear a smile at all times. Some of the residents are just so sweet and I would love to hear their stories and yeah like you you said it's probably only a matter of time before I get settled in properly :smile:

Sorry my in comprehensive thoughts :-( I visited two people with the GP I was shadowing.

Yeah that's right, just go in with a good attitude and people will love yr company :smile:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Missed the ending of the previous thread :sad:

Looks like my post was put to OP :s I've tried to pro it up a bit :smile:
Sorry my in comprehensive thoughts :-( I visited two people with the GP I was shadowing.

Yeah that's right, just go in with a good attitude and people will love yr company :smile:

Ah ok thanks :smile:
Looks like my post was put to OP :s I've tried to pro it up a bit :smile:

It's looking good :top:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
It's looking good :top:

Finished. It is art. Although I think DarkAndTwisty may be the slightest bit annoyed :teehee:
Reply 93
New thread! :biggrin:
Lovin' it! :wink:
So this is a list of:

2013's most geekiest medicine applicants?

Just seen this, that's not correct.. TSFMS and I are not applicants :tongue:
Reply 95
Original post by Orinincandenza
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=1676338

Top Few posters from last thread: (up until me :smile:)

Natalie21 1,723
oli_G 807
Boom533 582
Gcayte 539
DarkAndTwisty 539
erniiee 493
Jemine1 488
SaintSoldier 274
Pride 269
TooSexyForMyStethoscope 210
AspiringGenius 205
Last Chance 204
Aspire_to_Inspire 204
fletchdd02 197
Lily Academia 195
Penguinsaysquack 193
Orinincandenza 163

:cool: Yay new thread! :smile:
Reply 96
So this is a list of:

2013's most geekiest medicine applicants?

:giggle:
Finished. It is art. Although I think DarkAndTwisty may be the slightest bit annoyed :teehee:

Dude, if someone else gets the start of Mark 3 (if there even is one), I will not be best impressed.
Reply 98
Anyone know where I can watch series 1 Junior Doctors: Their life in your hands? The only ones I can find are very slow :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
:mad:What goes on in the Work experiance departments in hospitals

Latest