The Student Room Group

Good universities for Geography???

Hi all,

I'm new to TSR but my mum and sister use it so I thought I'd join the club hahaaa..

Anyway, I'm applying to university next year, as I am in year 12 at the moment, and I want to do Geography. I'm struggling to find Universities to put as my choices (I know i'm in year 12 but you can never start too early) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any uni's? I've got three (including insurance) and i need two more...

I've looked at Glasgow, Newcastle, Nottingham, Exeter, Bristol and Southampton, but none of them really appeal to me...

So yeah, any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KatyPiee
Hi all,

I'm new to TSR but my mum and sister use it so I thought I'd join the club hahaaa..

Anyway, I'm applying to university next year, as I am in year 12 at the moment, and I want to do Geography. I'm struggling to find Universities to put as my choices (I know i'm in year 12 but you can never start too early) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any uni's? I've got three (including insurance) and i need two more...

I've looked at Glasgow, Newcastle, Nottingham, Exeter, Bristol and Southampton, but none of them really appeal to me...

Durham!!! and Exeter :smile:
Reply 2
Hi all,

Kings, UCL, Queen Mary, SOAS joint course, Royal Holloway
Reply 3
Thanks guys :biggrin: I'm trying to look at the Royal Holloway Geography (BSc) but the link is just taking me to the BA page for geography, do you think they entry requirements will just be the same? It's ABB for Geography BA...
Reply 4
Cambridge :biggrin:
Reply 5
durham, york, lse, ucl, sheffield, kings, birmingham
Reply 6
my top two are Birmingham and Queen Mary, sorry forgot to put that in there! hahaa..

Just looking at the York one, do they not offer just Geography? the Environmental Geography course look greaaat though!
Reply 7
Queen Mary.
I'm a second year studying Geography BSc. 'tis good.
Reply 8

[QUOTE="KatyPiee;35944025"]Hi all,

So yeah, any suggestions?[/QUOT

Im in year 12 too and want to study Gepgraphy at Uni, I agree with you from the Unis you've listed though Southampton did grab my attention I'm still unsure of the course. York do a great Environmental Geography course if thats what you're in to more ( its definitely going to be in my top 5) Portsmouth & Reading not bad either and if you dont mind being in the middle of nowhere Aberystwyth has a good Physical Geog course and its right by the sea!
Reply 9
The prob I've got is that I don't really want to study in London but don't want to be too far away from home at the same time.
Reply 10
Kings, UCL, Leeds, Queen Mary. I have offers to study BA Geography from the latter two, and BA Geography and Social Policy from Leeds also.

Do you have any idea about your predicted grades etc? That will help you to pick a choice when it comes to UCAS
Have you looked at Leicester? They're ranked quite highly I think...and also, they give £2000 a year to AAA students :colone:
i found some webpage that listed the best places for Geography...Oxford and Cambridge were high, Cardiff, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham.
And Oxford is having an open day on the 4th May, but its invitation only, so ask the head of geography at your school if theyve had an email:smile:
Reply 12
Thanks guys :biggrin: I'm trying to look at the Royal Holloway Geography (BSc) but the link is just taking me to the BA page for geography, do you think they entry requirements will just be the same? It's ABB for Geography BA...

I noticed that, too. I had to change the url from bageography to bscgeography myself to get to the page. Here you are http://www.rhul.ac.uk/geography/coursefinder/bscgeography.aspx
well its a toss up between the uni, the course, and other stuff like the location etc.

for physical geog. i thnk durham was great. of course oxbridge is incredible. i thought shefflied was really nice and decent entry grades...
basially start researching all the unis which ask for about the grades you hope to get, look at all their ourses then narrow it down to 5/6 then visit them all! sorted.
Reply 14
Nottingham, Durham and Southampton are good for Geography. The BSc (Physical) at Worcester is also apparently a good course, albeit a smaller university.
I am not going to Worcester. end of.
Reply 16
I'm not temped by Oxbridge, I don't think I could handle the pressure! hahaa, my sister is at Oxford doing french and spanish at the moment and she doesn't seem to stop.
I think Birmingham and Queen Mary are my top two, with York and Royal Holloway then Dundee as insurance, unless I find anything else amazing.... thanks for all your help!!

P.S. In June I'm going on a Geography open day at Queen Mary, Is anyone else going?
Reply 17
Southampton is great! - Great course depth in many fields of Geography.
Reply 18
Original post by rosiesaurus
I am not going to Worcester. end of.

Touch of snobbery?! It's a good yet small uni and people there love it.
I'm thinking York, Southampton, Nottingham then debating whether to try for Oxford or not and searching for another course will grab me, UEA course looks great but I don't see myself living there for 3yrs somehow...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending