The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chipper
Hi! I applied for the MSt (1800–1914) in January (the only deadline...) but it seems everyone on here either applied for early modern or contemporary. Any other Victorianists out there?

I'm 1660-1830. Good luck with your application :smile:.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1001
Original post by strivingon

Anyone got reply from IR

I don't think that IR decisions come before late March. They consider all applications after the January 20 deadline only (at least for the MPhil courses).
Original post by cyberpoet
I'm 1660-1830. Good luck with your application :smile:.

I'm 1900-Present. Best of luck to you both! We probably won't be hearing anything till March then, I'm guessing...
Original post by olleh88
Everything was done on Jan20th (my third referee sent out her reference on Jan20th but my application was done on Dec 22-24ish). got an email that my application is considered for Jan20th round- the second round.

When did you apply?

Same here, mid-Jan

the waiting is a torture :s-smilie:
Anyone got reply from IR

Original post by Scout-
I don't think that IR decisions come before late March. They consider all applications after the January 20 deadline only (at least for the MPhil courses).

For the MPhil the department definitely doesn't even start looking at applications until after the Jan deadline, and you won't hear back before March.
Original post by fadingwinters
I'm 1900-Present. Best of luck to you both! We probably won't be hearing anything till March then, I'm guessing...

Hello there 20th century; yes it's going to be an unbearably long wait. Which college did you apply to btw?
Reply 1006
Original post by hobnob
Sorry to bother you, but I seem to remember that you were given such a scholarship associated with another college when you applied last year, and that you got notified about the scholarship long before you got an official letter from your college telling you that you had been given a place. Do you happen to know anything more about this process?
(That is if I haven't just made a complete fool of myself by getting you mixed up with some other English MSt - if so, I apologise for having dragged you here for nothing!)

Yeah, that's me -- sorry for the slow response. I don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes, but the process as I experienced it was:

1. Letter from the department containing both the offer of a place and the news about the scholarship, specifically naming the college
2. Much later (at the same time that they sent out other offers) letter from the college offering the college place

I've had about one and a half conversations about the scholarship since I arrived, and my impression is that the decision is made by the department and then rubber-stamped by the college. But that's just how I read what I was told, not an authoritative statement.
I have an offer for the Wellcome Trust 4 year PhD in Infection, Immunology and Translational Medicine. =] So insanely excited!
Reply 1008
Original post by VioletsAin'tBlue
I have an offer for the Wellcome Trust 4 year PhD in Infection, Immunology and Translational Medicine. =] So insanely excited!

Congrats!! Where did you study before?
Original post by nk121
Congrats!! Where did you study before?

Thanks =] I'm currently at York.
Thanks =] I'm currently at York.

congratulations! are you doing a master's this year or are you going straight to a PhD? What condition did they give you?
Original post by Xristina
congratulations! are you doing a master's this year or are you going straight to a PhD? What condition did they give you?

No masters - just going straight in! It's a little daunting actually, haha! I need to get a 2:1, and I'm pretty confident I'll get at least that, so the pressure is off a bit now.
No masters - just going straight in! It's a little daunting actually, haha! I need to get a 2:1, and I'm pretty confident I'll get at least that, so the pressure is off a bit now.

wow, they only asked for a 2:1? Congratulations, they must have loved you :tongue:
Original post by Xristina
wow, they only asked for a 2:1? Congratulations, they must have loved you :tongue:

Haha! I thought that was the standard offer? :-/ either way... I'm not complaining!
Hi again,

They accepted my request for the inclusion of info pertaining to the research grant. I hope that will improve my chances a bit. I hope...

:smile:
Haha! I thought that was the standard offer? :-/ either way... I'm not complaining!

they normally specify, so for example from a friend they asked a 67 I think.
Reply 1016

Hello there 20th century; yes it's going to be an unbearably long wait. Which college did you apply to btw?

I didn't specify, which was probably a mistake. The good news is I don't really think you can go wrong. All the colleges are amazing for different reasons. I looked at the thread from last year to see how international applicants found out I'm from the US and I thought maybe they would send international applicants emails? I'm going to be out of town for the third week of March so I really hope so!
Reply 1017
My friend got an offer from Oxford to get 68%.
Seems Oxbridge is asking for 68% rather than 67% this year?
Original post by Zenobia
My friend got an offer from Oxford to get 68%.
Seems Oxbridge is asking for 68% rather than 67% this year?

Ha, it's to keep in line with inflation. You know, like how they raise fees every year for the same reason. :wink:
Reply 1019
Original post by redflipflop
Ha, it's to keep in line with inflation. You know, like how they raise fees every year for the same reason. :wink:

hahaha....made my day :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest