The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kimiechi
History, you?

Economics and Managment :smile:, what subjects are you doing? Im maths further maths, french, econ :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
In the same predicament! Also prefer the look of the Cambridge admissions process for Law. Hmmm.

Why do you prefer the Cambridge admissions process?

I too want to read Law, and I absolutely love the look of the Oxford course. I have no idea what the admissions process for Oxford is though, I heard they use LNAT and GCSEs to shortlist for interview?
Reply 62
Original post by tooambitious
Economics and Managment :smile:, what subjects are you doing? Im maths further maths, french, econ :smile:

I do History, French, English Lit and English Lang :smile: that's coincidental, there's a guy in my French class who wants to do that course, and takes exactly the same subjects as you (+politics) :tongue:
I do History, French, English Lit and English Lang :smile: that's coincidental, there's a guy in my French class who wants to do that course, and takes exactly the same subjects as you (+politics) :tongue:

nice subjects :biggrin:, a lot of people applying do Maths, FM, and econ :smile:
Original post by Defragmentation

I too want to read Law, and I absolutely love the look of the Oxford course. I have no idea what the admissions process for Oxford is though, I heard they use LNAT and GCSEs to shortlist for interview?

my sister is going through this predicament, so i can guess what kido means - at Camb they interview more people (like 85+%), disregard GCSEs (pretty much) and then when your at interview you do the Cabridge law test (quite different from LNAT) then i fyou have over 93% avg in your top 3 ASs you go into the pool automotically
as you said at Oxfod they use GCSEs and LNAT and only 50% get interviewed, it can be quite erratic getting interviewed, at my school three applied for law only one got an interview (she got in), but she had 8*s 2As at GCSE and aaab in ASs (b in history) one of the girls who was straight rejected, had the EXACT same LNAT score 7*s 3As at GCSE but aaaa at AS level, her ocncern is that if she had applied to Camb she would have (almost) definitely had an interview, and now shell never know if she was good enough for an offer, coincidently she has offers from both UCL and LSE, whilst the other girl got a UCL rejection (dont thin she applied to LSE)

tl;dr - at Cambridge you (probably) get an interview, at OXford it seems more erratic
Original post by Zoedotdot
It's a bit early for this thread, so I'm locking it for now. Come back in six months or so and there'll be more interest and it will be more applicable.

But ours (2012) started in March! :P

probably a good idea though :h:
Original post by Brand New Eyes

I just realised that we now get the role of the wise past applicants giving advice in this thread :ahee:
Does anyone know when we can expect the new prospectus to be published? :smile:

Also, :hello: everyone!
Original post by bíborcsiga
Does anyone know when we can expect the new prospectus to be published? :smile:

Also, :hello: everyone!

they're starting to deliver pre-ordered ones around now http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/finding_out_more/order.html
they're starting to deliver pre-ordered ones around now http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/finding_out_more/order.html

Thanks. :smile: I thought they'd start updating their online one first, as Cambridge did.
my sister is going through this predicament, so i can guess what kido means - at Camb they interview more people (like 85+%), disregard GCSEs (pretty much) and then when your at interview you do the Cabridge law test (quite different from LNAT) then i fyou have over 93% avg in your top 3 ASs you go into the pool automotically
as you said at Oxfod they use GCSEs and LNAT and only 50% get interviewed, it can be quite erratic getting interviewed, at my school three applied for law only one got an interview (she got in), but she had 8*s 2As at GCSE and aaab in ASs (b in history) one of the girls who was straight rejected, had the EXACT same LNAT score 7*s 3As at GCSE but aaaa at AS level, her ocncern is that if she had applied to Camb she would have (almost) definitely had an interview, and now shell never know if she was good enough for an offer, coincidently she has offers from both UCL and LSE, whilst the other girl got a UCL rejection (dont thin she applied to LSE)

tl;dr - at Cambridge you (probably) get an interview, at OXford it seems more erratic

How sure are you about the pool figure being 93%? I've heard from my head of sixth form, that people who average more than 90% get interviewed, but those with offers have above 95%. Awks considering I'm on 94% at the moment.

Hmm, I did kind of conclude that I preferred Oxford though, the course interests me much more and I like the idea that I wouldn't have to do an extra admissions test. Moreover, I think my GCSEs would be sufficient enough for Oxford, just not sure about the LNAT yet though aha, I haven't tried it but heard it was pretty hard!
Reply 71
Original post by Brand New Eyes

I wrote that post last July :p: Now is a perfectly acceptable time to have the thread!
How sure are you about the pool figure being 93%? I've heard from my head of sixth form, that people who average more than 90% get interviewed, but those with offers have above 95%. Awks considering I'm on 94% at the moment.

Hmm, I did kind of conclude that I preferred Oxford though, the course interests me much more and I like the idea that I wouldn't have to do an extra admissions test. Moreover, I think my GCSEs would be sufficient enough for Oxford, just not sure about the LNAT yet though aha, I haven't tried it but heard it was pretty hard!

someone posted the link to the pool info somewhere on here (ill try and find it), the avergae is 87% for humanities and 95ish for sciences

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers.pdf
Reply 74
Original post by medbh4805
I just realised that we now get the role of the wise past applicants giving advice in this thread :ahee:

I may not have taken part in the thread last year, but I (was) on the Facebook group and can consider myself an expert on how not to apply :biggrin:
x

:hi: I'm a 2012 applicant/ offer holder for History :smile: just thought I'd make myself known, there are actually quite a few current Oxford History students on TSR if you have any specific questions relating to the course.

Original post by medbh4805

:yep:...until I spent too much time on TSR, miss my Oxford offer, and then revert to being an applicant again :s-smilie:

Seriously though, if I do get in, I fully intend to be back on here, giving advice/ help :rolleyes:
Reply 76
Original post by Niki_girl
:hi: I'm a 2012 applicant/ offer holder for History :smile: just thought I'd make myself known, there are actually quite a few current Oxford History students on TSR if you have any specific questions relating to the course.

Ooh, congratulations on your offer!! :smile: which college, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

tooambitious pretty much took the words out of my mouth, but just to reiterate:

- Cambridge interview significantly more applicants
- As the CLT is taken at interview it is used as merely another piece of criteria in making the final decision; Oxford, on the other hand, use the LNAT as a means of shortlisting IIRC
- The fact that Cambridge don't use the LNAT means that it 'frees up' another space for a LNAT university. It's usually most sensible to only apply to up to 3 such unis, so that if you screw up the test you haven't ruined your chances everywhere.
- High UMS scores are taken into account. (However this can go both ways. As I only did one exam in January [and got 91/100] I currently have no real way of knowing or predicting whether my overall AS percentages will be strong or not.)

I agree with you to an extent though - jurisprudence is one of the areas of law which interests me most, so doing a degree with greater emphasis on it is appealing. As well as this, my school seem to have a much better history of success with applying to Oxford than with Cambridge (that probably doesn't mean anything, though).

I could do with visiting both institutes properly though. A lot of people say that the thing which convinced them to apply for one or the other was the 'feel' of the town/city when they got there.

Anyway, nice to meet a fellow lawyer. :smile:
Ooh, congratulations on your offer!! :smile: which college, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Thank you! My offer is from Worcester College :biggrin:

Thanks ever so much for digging that up! May I ask why you're interested in Oxford as opposed to Cambridge?

Latest