The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nikstar95
No its a good thing bcoz if you click submit it saves a copy and sends it to Bath.... if you click save it will just save the copy for you !!!

:biggrin: Hope this helped!!

Thanks! :biggrin: I was just worried that maybe I was supposed to first click save and then submit, but now I realize it's not necessary :biggrin:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Meh, I'm sure it'll be a laugh all the same. :dontknow:

Yeah...and less money on rent = more money to have a good time, I've seen worse student accommodation at other unis tbf if they are just like the rest of eastwood
OHHH... thankz for the info.... this was one of the factors that made me think taking Sols/Marl was a bad idea....but now its all cleared !!!!

Thankzz Alot!!! :dance::dance:

BTW one more question what is the concept of a communal kitchen as in is it just cook your own food and get out or ppl cook for each other and have a good time????

Depends on each flat completely up to you and your flatmates. In ours we mostly cooked separately but people would hang around in the kitchen so they'd be people to chat to whilst you cooked/ate like someone might be cooking whilst someone else is eating or people would just come in for a chat. Occasionally we had like a flat meal and did something all together but we didn't do that very often, but our flat weren't very close tbh there were a couple of pairs that were but we weren't really ever a big friendship group like some flats are and only 2 of our flat are still living together, I know other flats where they cooked for each other all the time and the people in their flats were they're closest friends. And others where everyone pretty much cooked then ate in their room, so it completely depends but it doesn't really matter either way tbh.
I can only assume eastwood whb is the washbasin option.
Original post by thirstysailor
I can only assume eastwood whb is the washbasin option.

Yep. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by kvvn93
Thanks! :biggrin: I was just worried that maybe I was supposed to first click save and then submit, but now I realize it's not necessary :biggrin:

Your welcome!!! Happy to help :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Flippin-Mad
Depends on each flat completely up to you and your flatmates. In ours we mostly cooked separately but people would hang around in the kitchen so they'd be people to chat to whilst you cooked/ate like someone might be cooking whilst someone else is eating or people would just come in for a chat. Occasionally we had like a flat meal and did something all together but we didn't do that very often, but our flat weren't very close tbh there were a couple of pairs that were but we weren't really ever a big friendship group like some flats are and only 2 of our flat are still living together, I know other flats where they cooked for each other all the time and the people in their flats were they're closest friends. And others where everyone pretty much cooked then ate in their room, so it completely depends but it doesn't really matter either way tbh.

OHHHH!!!! Thats sounds a bit depressing eating alone everyday!!!
I would really want a big n lively group!!! :^_^:

:banana:<--- everybody should be as happy as him!!! :tongue:

Thankz for the info!! BTW which course are you studying at Bath??
OHHHH!!!! Thats sounds a bit depressing eating alone everyday!!!
I would really want a big n lively group!!! :^_^:

:banana:<--- everybody should be as happy as him!!! :tongue:

Thankz for the info!! BTW which course are you studying at Bath??

Haha well tbh that normally happens when people have stuff they want to catch up on iplayer (pretty much no one bothers with a tv licence/tv) or are skyping someone or something orr during busy times are eating and working. And even if your flats not like that most flats that are more like that tend to 'adopt' people they're friends with so if you really don't like it then there's always more options...orrr you can invite friends outside your flat around or something, I think it's just about being proactive if your flat aren't your kind of people, because there are all sorts at uni and everyone's new so no one will think you're stupid for asking if they want to pop round/go out or whatever. I'm doing psychology, which course are you applying for?
Reply 48
Hi, I tried to apply for accommodation yesterday at like half 9 but was told it takes 24 hours for you UCAS firm and insurance to be updated before you can register so had to wait till this morning to apply for Marlborough/Solsbury. I know they are really heavily subscribed so do you know how unlikely it is I won't get it? Thanks
Original post by tseymo1
Hi, I tried to apply for accommodation yesterday at like half 9 but was told it takes 24 hours for you UCAS firm and insurance to be updated before you can register so had to wait till this morning to apply for Marlborough/Solsbury. I know they are really heavily subscribed so do you know how unlikely it is I won't get it? Thanks

It's obviously going to vary year on year, but when I applied (2010 entry) I think I did accommodation about 3/4 days after it opened and got solsbury (my first choice) so you probably still have a good chance, I know some people who had done it a bit later than me too, some people won't have decided to firm them yet and others just won't be on the ball with accommodation type stuff so I think if you apply in the first week of it being open you have a good chance of getting what you want, but obviously no guarantees!
Reply 50
Okay thank you :smile: they say they take down options when they become too over-subscribed so it would be good to know when they take it down cause the longer it takes, the better the chances! It's just so annoying because I was so ready to do it early yesterday, I just had no idea about the 24 hour thing.
Reply 51
Just applied for sols/marl (Like everyone else).. probably left it too late to stand a chance considering EVERYONE seems to have applied there.
To be fair, ill be happy with anywhere, accomodation isnt the biggest deal of going to university anywhere. :smile:.

Feel sorry for anyone whose going to share a kitchen with me.. I BURN EVERYTHING!
Original post by tseymo1
Okay thank you :smile: they say they take down options when they become too over-subscribed so it would be good to know when they take it down cause the longer it takes, the better the chances! It's just so annoying because I was so ready to do it early yesterday, I just had no idea about the 24 hour thing.

Apply anyway, if you don't get it they try to give you something similar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tseymo1

Yeah they do, but it also depends on what % of people applying for a certain type of accommodation meet their offer, because I think they let it get a bit over subscribed presuming not everyone will meet their offer or whatever. Same thing happened to me which is why I didn't apply on the first day the year I came, we had to wait to get an accommodation email through before it would let you log on to apply, which took about 2 days and didn't decide to firm Bath until the day accommodation applications opened. But you're still pretty early so should have a good chance
Reply 54
Seems everyone's gone in for Sols/Mar!

Though, that being said I'd still be happy with Norwood or Westwood :biggrin:

Btw, is accommodation given on a first come first serve basis?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hemzo
Seems everyone's gone in for Sols/Mar!

Though, that being said I'd still be happy with Norwood or Westwood :biggrin:

Btw, is accommodation given on a first come first serve basis?

It looks likely. It says no one is guaranteed their preference which usually indicates first come first serve. But it also depends on what type of offer you get because unconditional offers get comfirmation of accommodation before august and these people are most likely going to get their choice of accommodation (providing they apply between now and august). As for the conditionals, which is the majority of people, nothing is guaranteed until august and because most conditional offers get their results on the same day, the only thing to distinguish between two people that have applied for the same type of accommodation is who applied first. So basically yes, it's first come first serve.

But remember not everyone meets their conditions so even if it is oversubscribed you still have a good chance of getting it. And generally if you apply within the first week you chances of getting your choice are greater.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Hi, I've just firmed Bath for Economics (L101) :smile:

Does anyone know how long it will take for me to be able for apply for accommodation, I just firmed Bath a second ago!
Also, I've narrowed down my accommodation choices to Eastwood, Westwood, Marlborough and Solsbury, does anyone know what any of these are like? On the open day I only saw Woodland, but I think that's a bit too expensive for me!

Thanks, and see you all next year hopefully :smile:
Original post by charlie224

Does anyone know how long it will take for me to be able for apply for accommodation, I just firmed Bath a second ago!
Also, I've narrowed down my accommodation choices to Eastwood, Westwood, Marlborough and Solsbury, does anyone know what any of these are like? On the open day I only saw Woodland, but I think that's a bit too expensive for me!

It take 24hrs after you firm before you can apply for accommodation. :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It take 24hrs after you firm before you can apply for accommodation. :smile:

Reply 59
Original post by charlie224

Why next year??? The term starts this Oct rite???

Quick Reply

Latest