The Student Room Group

Lazy people annoy me

Ok first of all...I'm fully aware that not everyone in the world is interested in "building muscle", "increasing VO2 max", "getting ripped" or whatever other fitness goals there is out there. It just so happens that we live in a world where there is much to do, and many things to take interest in and there is limited time to do it in.

However...everyone knows, on some level, that the gym and becoming generally healthier and fitter is a very good thing to commit to. People must understand that a stronger person is a more useful person. It should be common sense that someone who can do HIIT or run for long distances will have more energy in general, and be less bothered about routine tasks. It should also be obvious that people who eat decent, well-balanced meals will have more focus and a better feeling in general than someone who eats crap every day.

Personally, I don't really care if I get validation from other people or not. And it's not like I'd enjoy a crowd of people watching me set a new PB. It's not like that. But what I don't get is why people have to make snide comments about the fact you go to the gym? Or the fact they try and convince you to not even bother? Or they give you advice, knowing full-well they don't know what they're talking about. Seriously...if you're not interested in lifting then just don't lift, and don't speak of it. No need to try and talk down to people who do just to make yourself feel better.

It begs the question also. If they're feeling so self-conscious around people who take their health seriously...then why don't they do something about it? If it doesn't matter to them, then why do they always bring it up? Why can't they just live and let live and let people do their own thing?

Just can't wait for the day when people accept that this is what your about and just respectfully just let you get on with it. I'm guessing that doesn't happen until you're a certain size/BF%, lol.

/rant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Western Society embraces mediocrity. Unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by Dark Horse
Just can't wait for the day when people accept that this is what your about and just respectfully just let you get on with it. I'm guessing that doesn't happen until you're a certain size/BF%, lol.

/rant

Haha a lot of people, once they enter the real world and have jobs/children/a partner, really dont care about their body fat or dress size. Some people, myself included, don't give a rats ass about going the gym or getting 5 a day in, but as long as people are healthy enough for their way of living, who cares?
Reply 3
But people like to talk people out of different things all the time.
I admit I think it's because they feel bad that you're in a way "better" than them.
I agree if you can't put effort into doing something you have no right to hold an option of it to an extent. For example, I have a friend who tells me to buy ready meals as they are "cheaper" than cooking (as I cook all the time) and it annoys me she brings it up so often! I feel she knows they're not good and wants to bring me to the darkside and to think of it..... I've never seen her finish one.

Anyway back to the point,
knowing something is good for you and doing it are two different things.I find it hard to go to the gym but I love going to classes (Yoga etc),
but I do eventually go.It's finding the...motivation, the drive and the will to start and to continue that's the issue.
Well you annoy us too you ****ing troglodyte.
I'm not a huge fan of vanity but keeping fit is something to embrace rather than throwing fatty nutritionally empty crap down our necks.

They just feel bad they don't have the balls to go to the gym and stick to a decent regime. I guess you can be encouraging rather than hating on their ignorance though, Loads of people can't 'do' exercise as they aren't mentally/physically strong enough to start.

When I used to go, I went with friends, I would have never gone on my own through fear of ridicule.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by The Troll Toll
Well you annoy us too you ****ing troglodyte.

Didn't mean to cause offense, brah. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Tw1x
Haha a lot of people, once they enter the real world and have jobs/children/a partner, really dont care about their body fat or dress size. Some people, myself included, don't give a rats ass about going the gym or getting 5 a day in, but as long as people are healthy enough for their way of living, who cares?

I get all that. Some people don't lift. And some people can't put too much priority on how their figure looks.

That person shouldn't feel bad just because other people do.
People must understand that a stronger person is a more useful person.
Useful is pretty subjective. Useful for physical labour such as lifting. If you need someone to go up a chimney, weight room probably isn't the best place to start looking. For many people, their primary usefulness is sitting behind a desk, and the one they spend most of their life doing. Strong is only one aspect too, overall physical health is important, working on my flexibility has done wonders for my injuries over the last two years.

Also I would say lazy is the wrong word. Just because you go to the gym doesn't mean your aren't lazy, plenty of losers back home go to the gym most days, they're still lazy, thats why they did **** in school can't find/hold down a job. Someone who doesn't go to the gym but has their own start up at young age, or is the best in their respective field, and is making something of themselves is not lazy even if they are 25 stone of mostly flab. People have different goals, no one is more admirable than the other.

I admire people who are driven to better themselves. That should apply in all aspects of your life. If that is someone's motivation then fair play.

I do however hate, gym-adolescent culture. Terms like "jelly", "brah", "mirin". I think this is the type of thing that people see as negative, particular at student-y age. If someone was that "jelly" of what a pretty average person had achieved in a couple of years they would probably be going to the gym, no? I think that is what people will generally mock, the people who are doing it for validation from others, rather than the someone who wants to get stronger, faster, or just better because that is their aim.
(edited 11 years ago)
Good Cardio is a key factor that will result in you being one of the last survivors in a zombie apocalypse.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Useful is pretty subjective. Useful for physical labour such as lifting. If you need someone to go up a chimney, weight room probably isn't the best place to start looking. For many people, their primary usefulness is sitting behind a desk, and the one they spend most of their life doing. Strong is only one aspect too, overall physical health is important, working on my flexibility has done wonders for my injuries over the last two years.

Also I would say lazy is the wrong word. Just because you go to the gym doesn't mean your aren't lazy, plenty of losers back home go to the gym most days, they're still lazy, thats why they did **** in school can't find/hold down a job. Someone who doesn't go to the gym but has their own start up at young age, or is the best in their respective field, and is making something of themselves is not lazy even if they are 25 stone of mostly flab. People have different goals, no one is more admirable than the other.

I admire someone who is driven to better themselves. That should apply in all aspects of your life. If that is someone's motivation then fair play.

I do however hate, gym-adolescent culture. Terms like "jelly", "brah", "mirin". I think this is the type of thing that people see as negative, particular at student-y age. If someone was that "jelly" of what a pretty average person had achieved in a couple of years they would probably be going to the gym, no? I think that is what people will generally mock, the people who are doing it for validation from others, rather than the someone who wants to get stronger, faster, or just better because that is their aim.

Who the **** goes up chimneys? Do you live in the 19th century?
I also think what you're saying can be applied to academics, social life, work life etc..

It's what separates the champions of life to all you other gimps. Don't be lazy or risk becoming a gimp of life.
Reply 12

Those are terms thrown around on the interwebz. I'm talking about IRL

If you ever do decide to start eating clean and lifting/cardio, then people will say things, trust me. And about 5% of these things will be positive, if you get me.

And I don't think stronger = more useful can be disputed tbh. I can't think of many applications where weaker = better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Who the **** goes up chimneys? Do you live in the 19th century?
Who looks in the weight room for someone to go up a chimney, at any point let alone first. Oh wait, its clearly an example before the actual point :rolleyes:
I know this little mentally challenged girl at my work who is simply a lazy little cow.

I know it's not her fault that she's challenged, but she has such a STINKING attitude problem, I just cannot stand the sight of her.

She thinks work is about coming in and chatting to her pretend friends all day while I do the manual labour. She tries to treat herself as an equal to me, which I find very insulting. She takes it as some kind of victimisation if you tell her to do any kind of work.

Then she turns on the waterworks and complains that we are bullying her.

Whatever, people like her make me sick. Time she was sacked.

Sorry for the rant, but she really winds me up.
I agree about not making comments about what other people choose to do with their lives but saying that someone who regular exercises and goes to the gym is automatically more "useful" is just plain silly and wrong. More useful if you're a handyman/builder/warehouse worker, maybe.
Who looks in the weight room for someone to go up a chimney, at any point let alone first. Oh wait, its clearly an example before the actual point :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that it's a stupid example and the actual point you're making is probably stupid aswell.
Reply 17
Original post by thatrollingstone
I agree about not making comments about what other people choose to do with their lives but saying that someone who regular exercises and goes to the gym is automatically more "useful" is just plain silly and wrong. More useful if you're a handyman/builder/warehouse worker, maybe.

Says much for commitment, self-discipline, determination and perseverance. They're many ways to demonstrate these qualities...but training is a very good one. :smile:
Those are terms thrown around on the interwebz. I'm talking about IRL

If you ever do decide to start eating clean and lifting/cardio, then people will say things, trust me. And about 5% of these things will be positive, if you get me.
Depends, if you make a sudden change to your life and start eating differently and working out like an athlete because all of sudden your health and strength are massively important to you, when you never were interested before I would imagine people will say things. I went to a sports college, we had free gym membership and if you were on teams you could get a plan drawn up by PE teachers/coaches if you wanted it or needed it, and most people used it. No one said anything because it wasn't unusual.
What I'm saying is that it's a stupid example and the actual point you're making is probably stupid aswell.
The point that qualities to determine usefulness are dependent on use, is a stupid point? I think we're done here.

Quick Reply