The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
I've just finished the Hunger Games...it was.... I don't really know. I saw the film before reading the book and whereas usually I prefer the book to the film, they just seemed to mirror each other. The descriptions in the book were in places rather forced and I found Katniss utterly dull. Like Twilight, and many other books of the young adult genre, there was just too much teenage angst for my liking!

Meanwhile, I've also been reading The Woman in White....now that is a book I am enjoying!:smile:
Just finished The Shadow of the Wind, unbelievable :love:
Finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy. :smile:
Finished Orwell's Burmese Days yesterday. Perhaps not as overtly political as 1984 and Animal Farm but it's still a damning indictment of British Imperialism with an ending every bit as depressing.

Burmese Days doesn't seem to have satisfied my mind's desire for racism however, as I've just started Maya Angelou's autobiographical work I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
Man's Search for Meaning- Victor Frankl.

Honestly, read this all in one go it was that engaging. Truly inspirational, would recommend it to anyone and I know its one ( and the only one so far) that I will read over and over again.
Pigeon English - Stephen Kelman
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
Also reading: Chess by Stefan Zweig, though it's often published as The Royal Game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royal_Game
So many great books listed in this post! I'm going to come here for inspiration.

I'm currently reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and just finished I'm Starved for You by Margaret Atwood. I wasn't that impressed with I'm Starved for You, it felt very similar to her previous books and a bit rushed.
Reply 2049
Kafka's The Castle.
Reply 2050
I'm not gonna sleep until I finish reading this final book - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Stieg Larsson)
Reply 2051
Finished reading 1
Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina- it's been really good so far :smile:

Original post by jazrizq
I'm not gonna sleep until I finish reading this final book - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Stieg Larsson)

I've read the whole trilogy, the last book is really good. Don't you think Salander is one of the best characters you've ever come across?
Reply 2054
Started reading 'Farenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury this morning. Enjoying it so far.
Why Does E=mc²? (And Why Should We Care?) - Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.
Lord of the Rings...but all of the volumes are in one book so it is beginning to hurt my hands just holding it.
Reply 2057
World War Z -Max Brooks

Pretty good, got some problems with it though, wishing each characters recount was longer, I get to know the character a little bit and then they're gone. :frown:
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner.

Quick Reply

Latest