The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by NW86
Advice would be to continue applying bepanthen 2-3 times a day and do not go swimming again until it is fully healed. The healing process on your foot will be slightly different than your thigh due to the taughtness of the skin around your foot, hence the tightness/soreness and white flakes, pretty normal healing process tbh for skin like that.

If there are any issues post healing with an uneven finish, which is possible (but probably unlikely) just get it touched up, won't cost much to just clean up certain parts

Thanks for the reply, was getting worried! It's still flaky but now also super itchy, but I've kept bepanthem on it and shoes off as much as I can. Aye my artist does free touch ups up to a year after it's done if there's any problems, fingers crossed that won't be the case though :smile:
Reply 1621
Original post by minimarshmallow
I was told not to swim for 3 months after getting tattooed.
Keep putting on Bepanthen, don't swim again, and keep it uncovered to avoiding knocking off the scabs. They'll fall off by themselves and it won't pull the ink out.
And if it does look uneven, you can always go back for a touch-up. My tattooist does them for free as long as you haven't purposely done anything to mess it up, but it shouldn't be too expensive if you do have to pay.

I was told it was fine to have baths so I assumed it would be ok to swim for half an hour, but I guess not! Won't be doing that again in a hurry, it's so itchy now! So after 9 days if the scab comes away on it's own, as in over night or through wearing shoes, it shouldn't pull the ink out?

Mine also does free touch ups if needs be, but hopefully it won't come to that

Original post by SalC
I was told it was fine to have baths so I assumed it would be ok to swim for half an hour, but I guess not! Won't be doing that again in a hurry, it's so itchy now! So after 9 days if the scab comes away on it's own, as in over night or through wearing shoes, it shouldn't pull the ink out?

Mine also does free touch ups if needs be, but hopefully it won't come to that

I was told the bath was okay as long as you didn't let it soak too much...
And the chlorine in the water and the heightened chance of infection are why you shouldn't swim.
I'd try and keep shoes off if you can (sandals or court shoes if possible). Just let it heal and come off, like if you cut yourself. If it does get knocked off then fingers crossed it'd be okay, mine was, but the longer it has to heal untouched the better it'll come out... Mine took almost three weeks to fully heal on my ankle because its a high movement area, but my shoulders took less than a week...
I got my first tattoo on Tuesday :smile: it's quite a large dandelion on my foot with ten seeds blowing away from it. The dandelion was based on this one:http://images.borders.com.au/images/bau/97800995/9780099564973/0/0/plain/the-sense-of-an-ending.jpg - except the stem is thinner on mine and the tattoo is lighter. Haven't been able to take a picture as it's still quite red.

I'm going to sound like a wimp, but it hurt so much! Numbing spray was only applied half an hour after starting! (Took an hour in total). Did anyone else find their foot tattoo really painful?
Reply 1624
Original post by *Boofle*
I got my first tattoo on Tuesday :smile: it's quite a large dandelion on my foot with ten seeds blowing away from it. The dandelion was based on this one:http://images.borders.com.au/images/bau/97800995/9780099564973/0/0/plain/the-sense-of-an-ending.jpg - except the stem is thinner on mine and the tattoo is lighter. Haven't been able to take a picture as it's still quite red.

I'm going to sound like a wimp, but it hurt so much! Numbing spray was only applied half an hour after starting! (Took an hour in total). Did anyone else find their foot tattoo really painful?

It sounds lovely! :smile:

I found my foot a lot more painful than my thigh. I think it's just as the area isn't so "meaty" and is more directly on the bone.
Original post by SalC
It sounds lovely! :smile:

I found my foot a lot more painful than my thigh. I think it's just as the area isn't so "meaty" and is more directly on the bone.

You must be right. Some bits were agony, especially the stem!
After 3 weeks what should a small, red tattoo on my ankle look like?
I'm starting to freak out, because mine's been all flaky and wrinkly, but my friend's girlfriend's 3 day old tattoo looks perfect. When mine was 3 days old it was swollen and oozing.
Original post by Popppppy
I'm starting to freak out, because mine's been all flaky and wrinkly, but my friend's girlfriend's 3 day old tattoo looks perfect. When mine was 3 days old it was swollen and oozing.

This is mine33790_1809290111425_1215139570_2159479_4898964_n.jpg and that's when it was first done, wiped down so it would stop bleeding... but after 3 weeks the scabs had fallen off but there was a flaky layer of skin still to come off.
Three-five days and it was oozing orange ink every morning - but my tattooist told me that orange is the hardest colour to heal.
It depends where it is, how big, what colour, your own walking style (I move my ankle a lot because I walk slightly differently due to my insoles for my knee condition), what - if any- coverings you've had on it.
Give your tattooist a ring if you're concerned, but its fine to be worried, I think most people are after their first tattoo.
Original post by Popppppy

Red is a bugger to heal I found. All of mine healed apart from the red bits, which took twice as long to heal, and I think are a bit patchy i.e. some of the ink didn't take properly. All the other colours in mine are fine, it's just the red.
Original post by FilthyYouth
Got this done last week, going back soon to finish it up!

20hsgm1.jpg

Is it going to be colour? I have a really cool image of the apple in colour :smile:
Original post by Jace Falco
Your massive backpiece didn't scab anywhere? :zomg:

Honestly no. But keeping up with the after care took some serious dedication... it was a right pain in the arse :/
got a tattoo on my ankle already but wanting to get another one, I want the outline of a phoenix however I can't decide whether I want it on my hip or my ribcage .... so not sure where people think looks better?
Reply 1632

I just put my deposit down for this as a half sleeve, mainly because it looks badass. It doesn't really have any meaning apart from that (looking badass).
Well I've booked my wrist tattoo :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I really want to get a small tattoo on the back of my neck and I was just wondering if anybody else had this done and could tell me what it feels like? Also what do tattoos on the hip area (but a bit closer to the crotch) feel like? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by rosiecheeks
I really want to get a small tattoo on the back of my neck and I was just wondering if anybody else had this done and could tell me what it feels like? Also what do tattoos on the hip area (but a bit closer to the crotch) feel like? Thanks! :smile:

I've had a tattoo on my stomach (which is getting covered in July because of a stupid ****ty artist) and it kills at first, especially if there's not much flesh on your body. I got used to the pain after a while though. I wouldn't advise any tattoos around the stomach, rib or hip area if you aren't great with pain.
Original post by MarzipanButterfly
I've had a tattoo on my stomach (which is getting covered in July because of a stupid ****ty artist) and it kills at first, especially if there's not much flesh on your body. I got used to the pain after a while though. I wouldn't advise any tattoos around the stomach, rib or hip area if you aren't great with pain.

Okay thank you for the reply. Is it like a stabbing pain or a scratching pain? I just really want to get my tattoo but I am terrified of the pain.
Okay thank you for the reply. Is it like a stabbing pain or a scratching pain? I just really want to get my tattoo but I am terrified of the pain.

Being truthful, at first it felt like a razor skimming over sunburn, but after a while it numbs and just feels like you're scratching over sunburn if that makes sense? Honestly you'll be fine! It's not as bad as you think. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MarzipanButterfly
Being truthful, it first it felt like a razor skimming over sunburn, but after a while it numbs and just feels like you're scratching over sunburn if that makes sense? Honestly you'll be fine! It's not as bad as you think. :smile:

Hehe okay, thank you very much! :smile: I can't wait to get inked!
Hehe okay, thank you very much! :smile: I can't wait to get inked!

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest