The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mocking_bird
You mean you've not been taught it or you just don't understand it?
If you need any help, feel free to ask :smile:

haven't been taught it - will have to be a matter of making notes from the textbook. Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 561
Original post by clownfish
Couple of edits to these for you:

Oxidising agent and reducing agent are the wrong way around. The oxidising agent causes something to be oxidised, ie an oxidising agent takes electrons from something.

Also disproportionation: an atom cannot be both oxidised and reduced, it shols be a species or element that is oxidised or reduced.

:smile:

Ah yeah sorry my bad, I knew the definitions just typed them wrong
Reply 562
You mean you've not been taught it or you just don't understand it?
If you need any help, feel free to ask :smile:

i need some help, can i have ur email please :smile:
Original post by mobes
i need some help, can i have ur email please :smile:

It would be easier to just post it here or pm me :biggrin:
Reply 564
Finished the isa today... finally on to the end! :smile:

There was quite a tricky question (which had the majority of our class stumped), but the rest was fairly easy.
I made a silly mistake, only 1 mark, but besides that I feel kind of confident about it.

So yeah, good luck to everyone yet to do :smile:

Hiya! I will be having the practical test next wednesday but have no idea what it's going to be! What substance are we going to be tested for? Any hints for the practical and the written test?! Thx!!
Original post by joker_di
Hiya! I will be having the practical test next wednesday but have no idea what it's going to be! What substance are we going to be tested for? Any hints for the practical and the written test?! Thx!!

This isn't happening. :smile:
Reply 566
Original post by joker_di

You're such a joker! (see what I did there..)
Just wondering anyone has a good way of remebering the equations for extraction of metals and as they just don't stick in my mind except the extraction of tungsen equation.

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 568
Has anyone finished revision for all of their subjects?

Also did the jan 2012 mock today, feeling quite good about it :smile:
Its quite funny, by the time i got to Infared Mass spectrometry, i'd forgotten the the chapters of this Module.
Has anyone else found that things are really hard to learn, but veryvery easy to forget?
Original post by Mike Hunt is nice
Its quite funny, by the time i got to Infared Mass spectrometry, i'd forgotten the the chapters of this Module.
Has anyone else found that things are really hard to learn, but veryvery easy to forget?

In a way, but just try and practice the mechanisms/write out the reactions daily and they'll stick eventually.. it's what i've been doing recently and its helped a lot.

(Edit... I reread this and can't tell if youre talking specifically about infared or not :laugh: my brains dead... oh well either way, theres a tip :tongue:)
Reply 571
=0
Reply 572
It would be easier to just post it here or pm me :biggrin:

Like the mockingbird blog!! The name and the content :tongue:
I remember being in your lot's position almost 3 years ago. Best of luck!
In a way, but just try and practice the mechanisms/write out the reactions daily and they'll stick eventually.. it's what i've been doing recently and its helped a lot.

(Edit... I reread this and can't tell if youre talking specifically about infared or not :laugh: my brains dead... oh well either way, theres a tip :tongue:)

Lol, Mechanisms are actually okay.
No, i mean once i finished the last topic in unit 2, i'd forgotten the first topic lool.
It actually quite funny really.
Mechanisms have always been the bane of my existence, but I am slowly working my way through them and I now finally understand Free Radical Substitution and Nucleophilic Substitution! :jive:
So pleased, pretty sure the fact I had no idea how to do mechanisms the first time I did AS Chem was one of the main reasons I got a U! :colondollar:
Original post by starfish232
Just wondering anyone has a good way of remebering the equations for extraction of metals and as they just stick in my mind except the extraction of tungsen equation.

Thanks!

WO3 + 3H2 ----> W + 3H2O
Hazards: Explosion
Its the only reduction involving hydrogen :smile:
Original post by alilonghorn
Mechanisms have always been the bane of my existence, but I am slowly working my way through them and I now finally understand Free Radical Substitution and Nucleophilic Substitution! :jive:
So pleased, pretty sure the fact I had no idea how to do mechanisms the first time I did AS Chem was one of the main reasons I got a U! :colondollar:

Unlucky :/ did you redo AS alongside A2? or just redid AS?
Original post by cuckoo99
Unlucky :/ did you redo AS alongside A2? or just redid AS?

Just redoing AS, same for biology! My teacher would of let me do it alongside A2 but I decided I'd rather do the whole year and get a good grounding for A2. Seems to have been the right decision as I'm finally getting the results I want, just hoping it continues in chem2 and f212 :unsure:
Does anyone have any good ways of learning all the reactions/tests for halogens and alkali earth metals?
(I mean in terms of say... mmenomics or something like that, it would just make it a ton easier :laugh:)

They just arent sticking in my head no matter what i try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending