The Student Room Group

Can I do Economics?

Hi, I am in year 12 studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and I really want to study Economics or an Economics-related course at a top uni like UCL or Bristol.

Do you think I can make a competitive application with these subjects? According to the 'A-Levels: Relative Difficulty...' sticky in this sub-forum I should be doing history too.

I'm thinking about doing economics at a top university. Which would be the perfect 4 A levels?
Check out my sticky threads in the economics forum.

But for econ at a top uni for perfection you want:
i) both Maths and Economics A-levels.
ii)Further Maths
iii)A science e.g. Physics
iv)Essay based subject e.g. History

Which I know makes 5 not 4. But:
i)Consider doing 5 not 4 subjects to A2.
ii)If you are intend on doing 4 subjects then starting 5 AS and not 4 gives you a choice of what 4 you carry on in your final year.

I know I should have done history (instead of f. maths) but obviously I can't do anything about that now. Do you think my chances of getting an offer from top unis has been too greatly reduced to even bother to apply?

I should point out Economics was not offered at my school otherwise I would have taken it (I had my name put down but due to undersubscription it was cancelled). Thanks.
Reply 1
For even a chance at UCL, you need F.maths, so that was good.

Your subjects are absolutely fine.
Stop stressing, get the grades, good PS and you'll hopefully be fine.
Your subjects look great, but if you dont have economics to offer, you should really have a humanities subject. University likes further maths, you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by uttamo
Hi, I am in year 12 studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and I really want to study Economics or an Economics-related course at a top uni like UCL or Bristol.

Do you think I can make a competitive application with these subjects? According to the 'A-Levels: Relative Difficulty...' sticky in this sub-forum I should be doing history too.

I know I should have done history (instead of f. maths) but obviously I can't do anything about that now. Do you think my chances of getting an offer from top unis has been too greatly reduced to even bother to apply?

I should point out Economics was not offered at my school otherwise I would have taken it (I had my name put down but due to undersubscription it was cancelled). Thanks.

I think you should be fine, although people who do history are widely considered as tanks :wink:. Economics was not available at my school either :frown:

I would recommend you contact st Andrews about the Economics and Film studies joint honors, its a real winner!
Reply 4
Yes those subjects are fine. Further maths is more important than history, especially as you are aiming for top 5 universities. If your college could not offer Economics, make sure you get your teacher to write it in your reference etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending