The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to skip school for a few weeks to revise for my exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
haha

this only makes it funnier

Uh ok dude.
Original post by Frodo Baggins
Every heard of an indian skippin school? (I misread his name as nanaji)

i read this as nanaji too lmao. well most indians used to go to school, i was the rebel and everyone hated me for it:cool:
If you believe you can properly revise on your own without getting distracted (and you'd get more done at home than at school) then go ahead.

I know half my year bunked a day last week to "revise" but not a single one of them did.
Reply 23
I am. I was ill just after Easter and so missed a few days, but then on the night before going back in I just thought about how much work I'd covered in those few days in comparison to the stupid posters and mindmaps (literally all I do) I was doing at college, and thought, 'Why not?'

Honestly, I've taught myself so much just learning it on my own. My college has been on my back, predicting me low grades, telling me I'm going to fail my AS Levels, etc, but I genuinely don't think that's the case. In the time I would have spent drawing posters to make the classroom look pretty, or going to the library to find there's no free computers (my teacher does this all the time in History; every lesson we get sent off to the library to do some research on the computers, only to find there's none spare), I've been doing past papers, looking at the specifications and AOs and writing out notes - exactly what I wasn't doing at college. This could all backfire miserably, but I think I'm more prepared for my exams than if I'd gone into lectures and done absolute crap.

(I should add that my college is rubbish and barely anyone gets good marks; on the rare occasion that someone gets a B, the teachers go wild with excitement. If you have good lecturers or go to a good college, you could always go in for a few days before the exams, because that's usually when they start to get a little worried and go over the exam spec. Other than that though, if you're motivated and prefer to work alone, I can't recommend skipping college enough.)
Original post by enigma1122
i read this as nanaji too lmao. well most indians used to go to school, i was the rebel and everyone hated me for it:cool:

What religion are you? Skippin school for exams is ok if you go to a crap school. lol NANAJI FTW!
Reply 25
Only if your doing A2's
Original post by Frodo Baggins
What religion are you? Skippin school for exams is ok if you go to a crap school. lol NANAJI FTW!

hindu and you? i went to a pretty decent school but i found that it was much quicker just learning the stuff out of class and going in every now and then to say hi to friends and get specific help from teachers. gcses and a levels are so spoon fed, with the huge bank of exam papers and questions and textbooks written by the exam board, dont really need teachers to pass the exams any more.
Reply 27
I know i am skipping school tomorrow. Study leave starts when all but 1 of my exams are finished. Useless!
What has being indian got to do with this? ( i am btw)

at my school, and maybe the asker's it is the indian and Sri lankan girls who do this a lot
Reply 29
Original post by najinaji
I'm quite considering doing this, as going back and forth to school all day to go over things I might already know/ things that don't matter seems like a bit of a waste of time.

Should I do this, and did anyone here who did this find it helpful?

If you're the type that can study on your own (without needing much guidance or explanation from your tutor/teacher), then I'd say go for it.

I did this for high school, and I did pleasingly well for my end exams. The problem was, the government in my country might see me as skipping school for all the bad reasons; so if it is required, get a letter from your parents (and for my case, my parents allowed me to do so).

Also, if you resolve to do this, make sure all you do is study at home, especially where the test is very, very, very important! You can't cheat yourself you know, so study smart and hard. :smile:

Otherwise, if you haven't learned all the topics at school, then don't skip it.

I only skipped where I have already studied all topics and just revised them at home, so it makes it easier for the tutors to shut up. (though they still scowl at me and call me a "truant!" and in college, they said I "left for Narnia"!) xD
Original post by tooambitious
at my school, and maybe the asker's it is the indian and Sri lankan girls who do this a lot

what? lol?:s-smilie:
Reply 31
Go for it.

Mind you, I hardly ever turn up as I self-teach any how; my attendance is atrocious :tongue:.
Reply 32
technically it is your perogative to go to college or not; you have no obligation to be there. However usually in the last few weeks of term lessons ARE revision time, and your teachers will be able to guide you in a way that textbooks can't. If you think you have the self-discipline to revise at home and are more suited to that learning style, then why not? your attendance at college doesn't matter any more anyway.
Reply 33
Go for it if you feel you'll get more work done at home.

Our study leave begins on the 29th and I have two maths exams before that.
We have finished the course for all subjects as well!
hindu and you? i went to a pretty decent school but i found that it was much quicker just learning the stuff out of class and going in every now and then to say hi to friends and get specific help from teachers. gcses and a levels are so spoon fed, with the huge bank of exam papers and questions and textbooks written by the exam board, dont really need teachers to pass the exams any more.

I agree actually. Well you have changed my opinion! p.s. I am a :bhangra:
what? lol?:s-smilie:

im not kidding, i have no idea why though :s-smilie:
Reply 36
Original post by Alexandra's Box
As the above says, if you can work well at home, then of course do so. I'd really want to but unfortunately, I'm doing GCSEs and have to keep going to school :angry:

OP said skip school.
Reply 37
Yep, I do it a lot, however there are downsides, as teachers and students start to think you are very arrogant, and you get much less time to hang around with friends, the head of sixth form and some teachers get very annoyed with it, however saying that I definitely benefit much more from it as my school is **** but you have to be motivated enough to wake up early and get the work done but when I do go school my maths teacher always presents me as a new kid in the class as I've missed that much school.
Reply 38
It really depends on the situation, but skipping school to revise can work out. If you're just covering the same stuff that you would have been doing in class then it's fine to stay at home and tailor your revision to your own needs.

I have an awful business teacher, and so skipped a months worth of lessons before the exams to revise at home. I ended up getting an A, so it can't be that bad a plan.
Reply 39
Original post by rohitbd
Yep, I do it a lot, however there are downsides, as teachers and students start to think you are very arrogant, and you get much less time to hang around with friends, the head of sixth form and some teachers get very annoyed with it, however saying that I definitely benefit much more from it as my school is **** but you have to be motivated enough to wake up early and get the work done but when I do go school my maths teacher always presents me as a new kid in the class as I've missed that much school.

Coming from someone who got into Barts, that makes me feel a lot better... :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest