The Student Room Group

Osteopath to GEM

Hi all,

Before cluttering the forums up with this post I did read the stickies and search the forums for answers but I couldn't find anything recent or relevant...

I graduated from the British School of Osteopathy with an M.Ost which is an integrated masters(previously BSc honors program). I started considering medicine in my 2nd year of studies and now, after one year working as an osteopath, I am actively pursuing an application.

Where I am unsure is whether or not my qualification meets the minimum requirement. I know that at least a 2:2 is expected but my degree does not come with a classification, it is simply a pass or fail like dentistry or other vocational degrees.

Schools such as Bristol list osteopathy as an acceptable qualification for entry but they also stipulate a 2:1 minimum, so I wonder where that leaves me?
I do know that other osteopathic institutions classify their degree but the curriculum is more or less the same as all graduates have to meet strict criteria set by parliament to gain access onto the register of osteopaths.

I have emailed several GEP departments with my course unit breakdown (510 units total) but as of yet I have only received a reply from Barts who advised me that I do indeed meet the minimum requirements. However, I remain skeptical until I have heard the same news from others.

I'm sure I will hear back from them in due course but for now is there anyone who can shed some light on this for me? I want to be absolutely sure before I commit further to the application preparation.

I would really appreciate any help that can be offered.
do you get a % for your total degree? and with your masters did you get a grade of pass, merit ect or simply pass or fail...

also, theres loads of info here about grad medicine which may help
Reply 2
There is no % for total degree or grade of pass. Only a minority of institutions offer the classified version. There were however distinctions for clinical performance and dissertation. I did not get either. I wonder if the admissions department at Barts made an oversight in their evaluation of my degree as they did not ask for this.

Just to clarify, the masters was integrated as part of the 4 year course. It used to be a B.Ost (BSc) and it got upgraded to M.Ost before I graduated. In principle it is an undergraduate masters rather than a BSc followed by an MSc. It compares to the likes of an MEng.

Thanks for the link and your time taken to reply.
ahh i see... maybe it could be worth phoning a few departments up? as if you phone they cant ignore or forget to reply like with an email

+ id imagine that as long as your transcript looks good (all passes ect) and you have decent ukcat scores you probably would fair okay in applying & if you performed well on your interview. just explain why you've decided to change from osteopathy to medicine

good luck and let me know how you get on with contacting universities :smile:
Reply 4
I really think it would be worth emailing (not ringing - sometimes people will say anything on the phone without checking their facts but the written word is more reliable) to ask since you seem to be in quite a unique situation. Didn't you get a separate mark for the BOst part of the course?
Reply 5
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be considered even though i'm an atypical applicant.

Sadly, phoning them has been quite unhelpful. It's absolutely true, in my experience, that they advise you without proper facts. Maybe I am not speaking to the correct people, is there an authority in the admissions department I should request specifically?

The major concern I have is that I am told I am okay to apply and to then end up getting a letter after application saying 'sorry, you did not meet the minimum requirements'. That would be a major kick in the face after sweating blood over GAMSAT/UKAT/work experience etc...Heart breaking to say the least!

Is it worth having them write formally to me to confirm my eligibility for the course? Would the written word hold any weight if I am given the brush off when it comes to selection? I will wait for more replies from uni's and update here when I hear more.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
even if you have written confirmation that they will accept your degree, and they reject you. it wont give you any leg to stand on...

id say get a fair amount of work experience under your belt, study for ukcat/bmat/gamsat (everywhere has different requirements... check it out) and apply & hope for the best. if you dont try your luck, youll never know.
Reply 7
Ok, I will just have to just do it and see what happens.

In terms of other options if I don't get it this time, assuming I do something to improve my chances, is the second attempt more difficult? Do they take into account a first try?

Also how does it work if I applied to the 5 yr course? Do the uni's mind if a-levels are retaken at a late stage?
Reply 8
Original post by Kam Tej

In terms of other options if I don't get it this time, assuming I do something to improve my chances, is the second attempt more difficult?

Nope, same process: redo the UKCAT/GAMSAT, rewrite personal statement if necessary, send off UCAS form.

Do they take into account a first try?

No.

Also how does it work if I applied to the 5 yr course?

Exactly the same way but you won't be able to get a tuition fee loan, unlike with the GEPs.

Do the uni's mind if a-levels are retaken at a late stage?

Shouldn't do.
Original post by Kam Tej

(1) In terms of other options if I don't get it this time, assuming I do something to improve my chances, is the second attempt more difficult? Do they take into account a first try?

(2) Also how does it work if I applied to the 5 yr course? (3) Do the uni's mind if a-levels are retaken at a late stage?

1) you can apply as many times as you can, however if you do get rejected 1st time do more work experience for the 2nd time, improve personal statement & do more work in prep for ukcat, gamsat ect

2) same as gep, however you cant get student loans for it so it has to be self funded. so 9k a year fee's +about 4k to live off = 13k*5=65k

3)shouldnt do, they will probably just look at your highest level of qualification = degree & masters transcript

also, if you apply to 4 year GEP courses, some universities may offer you a place on the 5 year course if you perform well at interview but dont quite make the cut for the 4 year course
Reply 10
Thanks for the info guys.

Just to double check, if I applied for the 5 year program then my A-levels would be the main thing they would look at? If I repeated a-levels now and applied with the grades achieved would they be counted or my first attempt years ago?
Original post by Kam Tej
Thanks for the info guys.

Just to double check, if I applied for the 5 year program then my A-levels would be the main thing they would look at? If I repeated a-levels now and applied with the grades achieved would they be counted or my first attempt years ago?

Generally, a 2.1 degree will be the main requirement for graduates applying for the 5 year course. The majority of medical schools do not allow resit grades (A levels taken over 2+ years) for undergraduate and this may carry onto graduates. I think for GEM the best thing you can do, if they don't explicitly state their stand on A levels, is to email the schools admission team.
Reply 12
Ok, I will contact uni's to find out the situation regarding a-levels.

To update, I have been in touch with my uni to ask about how my degree classifies. They said they could not verify a class for me although they agreed to produce an academic transcript. This is a document that officially lists the exact units undertaken with number of credits and grades achieved in each. This is the document that needs to be sent to the med schools to find out if it meets the minimum requirement. So for anyone who finds themselves in my situation that is the thing to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending