The Student Room Group

New job requires reference.. where can i get one from in my situation?

I was made redundant due to the store closing down. I've now been employed after 4 months but the job is asking for a reference. The store i worked at, the turnover was crazy and i had about 7 managers within 2 years, theyve all moved on.
I have the deputy managers home address but not number :/ (useless i know)
Where can i get a reference from?
I was thinking, calling head office or HR for a generic one?

I'm only in my first year of university and asking my tutor who i've only spoken to once or twice would be weird :/
Original post by sillysal

Directory enquiries should be able to tell you the number of the ex-manager, if you have a postal address. Phone and ask them if they can give you a reference. You can also try the company HQ if it still exists, but you will probably only get a technical reference, ie confirmation that you did work for them, the dates and that you were made redundant.

Your university staff will be used to giving references from people they only meet once per week or ever term. Just ask them and see what they say.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Directory enquiries should be able to tell you the number of the ex-manager, if you have a postal address. Phone and ask them if they can give you a reference. You can also try the company HQ if it still exists, but you will probably only get a technical reference, ie confirmation that you did work for them, the dates and that you were made redundant.

Your university staff will be used to giving references from people they only meet once per week or ever term. Just ask them and see what they say.

Should i put head office or HQ because they have 2 different postal addresses?
Should i put head office or HQ because they have 2 different postal addresses?

You mean they have an address for a HQ and an address for a Head Office? They are usually one and the same thing.
Reply 4
Use the Head Office as a reference, or the name of your last manager and the address of the (now closed) store.

Yes it doesn't exist I know, but it's not up to you to chase them up.
Reply 5
I was made redundant due to the store closing down. I've now been employed after 4 months but the job is asking for a reference. The store i worked at, the turnover was crazy and i had about 7 managers within 2 years, theyve all moved on.
I have the deputy managers home address but not number :/ (useless i know)
Where can i get a reference from?
I was thinking, calling head office or HR for a generic one?

I'm only in my first year of university and asking my tutor who i've only spoken to once or twice would be weird :/

Get a good friend of yours to do it. Always did it until I got a manager that would give me a good reference. It works!
Original post by katyness
Get a good friend of yours to do it. Always did it until I got a manager that would give me a good reference. It works!

It works as long as no-one finds out. If they do, then you face immediate dismissal (without a reference) and you could both face legal action, should the employer choose.
Ask your tutor, they will be used to writing references.
Reply 8
not entirely recomended but i had a friend who just gave his dad as a refference to call and claimed he was his manager, worked a treat but as afore mentioned it can backfire...

Quick Reply