The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Norton1
Well I've no idea if they take attendance or not, might be an idea to drop them an email and check what dates they want you to do things. The registration and stuff can be done all of freshers week and for a little while after so it's no big deal.

I don't expect them to take attendances but I'll definitely email the University before making any final decisions.

Since there's an off-chance that I'll get to Glasgow via Edinburgh and that flight
arrives fairly late (20:00) would you expect being able to check-in even in such late hours as was the case in December (example 1, example 2) ?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Kostaz
I don't expect them to take attendances but I'll definitely email the University before making any final decisions.

Since there's an off-chance that I'll get to Glasgow via Edinburgh and that flight
arrives fairly late (20:00) would you expect being able to check-in even in such late hours as was the case in December (example 1, example 2) ?

I wouldn't like to give you a definitive answer as I don't really know, but I think that it's unlikely to change as they know people are coming in from all over the place.

One thing you should check is if it's a Sunday night when your flight gets in the Edinburgh to Glasgow trains might stop quite early, or not be running as frequently as usual.
Reply 1382
Original post by Norton1
I wouldn't like to give you a definitive answer as I don't really know, but I think that it's unlikely to change as they know people are coming in from all over the place.

One thing you should check is if it's a Sunday night when your flight gets in the Edinburgh to Glasgow trains might stop quite early, or not be running as frequently as usual.

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out all the transits and which timetables will suit me after the landing. Thanks for your helpful posts. I'll try to give positive ratings to your posts as soon as the system allows me to.

Edit: Just read that the reputation I give is worth 0. Oh well.. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by noro
Im studying Physics and Astronomy. Im from Germany :smile: how about you?

Nice :smile: I'm from Ireland. Ich spreche Deutsch! :smile:
Reply 1384
Jesus, so many Germans! Hello there :smile:
Reply 1385
Original post by Lori1987
Jesus, so many Germans! Hello there :smile:

So far its just me :biggrin:
Who has all applied for Murano Large Flats? :smile:
I chose Queen Margaret because I liked it the most at the open day but a friend of a friend who stays in Murano mentioned that she went to a 'party' at Queen Margaret where there was no alcohol and everyone sat and played jenga. I'm not a party animal or anything, but really? Haha but in all seriousness does anyone know what Queen Margaret is like? It was a toss up between there and Murano so I hope I've made the right choice!
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Woo :biggrin: Have you got a time to move in yet ?

I dunno, I think it's around the 14th september, not sure i need to look at all the files and stuff. What will you be studying? I'm doing zoology so I'll prolly need to get the bus
The first move in date will be the Friday before Freshers' Week which runs from the 10th-14th of September, so Friday 7th. Most people turn up on the Friday (about 70%) with most of the rest coming over the weekend before the Monday (occupancy rates were over 90% last year by the start of FW). Assuming you want to just turn up before courses start, there's nothing to stop you picking your keys up as late as the 17th- but obviously your new flatmates will have been getting to know each other for ten days by that point.
Original post by bethany a smith
I dunno, I think it's around the 14th september, not sure i need to look at all the files and stuff. What will you be studying? I'm doing zoology so I'll prolly need to get the bus

I'm gonna be doing veterinary :smile: I think some of our lectures are on the main campus so will need to get a bus for a few of them.
Original post by 0404343m
The first move in date will be the Friday before Freshers' Week which runs from the 10th-14th of September, so Friday 7th. Most people turn up on the Friday (about 70%) with most of the rest coming over the weekend before the Monday (occupancy rates were over 90% last year by the start of FW). Assuming you want to just turn up before courses start, there's nothing to stop you picking your keys up as late as the 17th- but obviously your new flatmates will have been getting to know each other for ten days by that point.

hi! :biggrin: i wonder if you know whether it is possible that some students have to move in earlier because their lessons start earlier according to UCAS. It was said that Business course starts on the 1st of September. And I don't really fancy turning up earlier than others :frown:
Original post by Annie-Bananie
hi! :biggrin: i wonder if you know whether it is possible that some students have to move in earlier because their lessons start earlier according to UCAS. It was said that Business course starts on the 1st of September. And I don't really fancy turning up earlier than others :frown:

I sometimes think UCAS just guess for most courses- or put the start date at the start of the month you're supposed to start. We give student inductions to the Business School during FW, so there's no way an undergraduate course starts on the first. Especially since that's a Saturday. I'd be amazed if the course didn't start, like every other I know of, in the week beginning the 17th of September, which the University lists as the first week of teaching.
I'm gonna be doing veterinary :smile: I think some of our lectures are on the main campus so will need to get a bus for a few of them.

Veterinary was my first choice, but I'm not too confident in interviews or around people, so I went for zoology instead. Bus beats a 45 minute walk I suppose :smile: What kind of room you getting? Mines a single standard... What else can we talk about?
Original post by bethany a smith
Veterinary was my first choice, but I'm not too confident in interviews or around people, so I went for zoology instead. Bus beats a 45 minute walk I suppose :smile: What kind of room you getting? Mines a single standard... What else can we talk about?

Yea, interviews are a nightmare. Yea same here, single standard room :biggrin: Have you had a nosey around the campus, I was there two weeks ago and its amazing. Real nice city and Millies cookies is my new best mate :smile:
Original post by la-penseur
I chose Queen Margaret because I liked it the most at the open day but a friend of a friend who stays in Murano mentioned that she went to a 'party' at Queen Margaret where there was no alcohol and everyone sat and played jenga. I'm not a party animal or anything, but really? Haha but in all seriousness does anyone know what Queen Margaret is like? It was a toss up between there and Murano so I hope I've made the right choice!

I think a night of jenga constitutes as a fun night! So I guess I made the right choice in choosing QM
hey does anyone know how long the bus ride is from wolfson hall to the main campus? will I have to take 2 buses or is there a straight bus?
Yea, interviews are a nightmare. Yea same here, single standard room :biggrin: Have you had a nosey around the campus, I was there two weeks ago and its amazing. Real nice city and Millies cookies is my new best mate :smile:

I've been round the campus (veterinary and main) when I went on the reach project thing for people hoping to go into professions, I did'nt get to see the wolfson halls campus but I looked at pictures on an accomodation website, looks good. They showed us this amazing milkshake shop where this woman just get sweet and chocolate bars and biscuits, blends them with ice cream and makes the best milkshakes I've ever tasted. sadly, I have forgotten where it was :frown:
Reply 1398
Am I the only one here going to Kelvin Court (Unite) then? lol :colondollar:
have you all got your offers for accommodation? I applied back in march and i got a confirmation email saying i was in Category A, whatever that is, but I haven't heard anything since. Should I re-apply? When I log into my glasgow account it says my application was processed on the 12/03/2012 and it was confirmed on the same day :s-smilie: help! thanks! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest