The Student Room Group

PGCE and Student Finance Application Questions.

I just got a place on the PGCE course at the University of Manchester and am hoping to get my student finance application in by the deadline...so was hoping that somebody might be able to give me some advice. :s-smilie: Is it true that PGCE students should apply using the paper form, rather than doing it online? Are we classed as new or continuing students? ( I graduated in 2009, but have found conflicting information regarding the classification :confused: ) Would I use my old ART ID etc even if I'm classing myself as a new student? Has anyone already applied and received a reply from Student Finance? Or applied last year and could share any info? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Hello. I've applied with the old ART ID even though as a PGCE student you are a 'new' student. Seems a bit mad to me but there you go. I applied with a paper form in the end just because my online form somehow didn't reach them :/ but that's just me.

Just call student finance up if you are confused, they are very helpful people!
Reply 2
Original post by Writer_Kitty
Hello. I've applied with the old ART ID even though as a PGCE student you are a 'new' student. Seems a bit mad to me but there you go. I applied with a paper form in the end just because my online form somehow didn't reach them :/ but that's just me.

Just call student finance up if you are confused, they are very helpful people!

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 3
Anyone else have any advice? As I really would rather avoid spending hours on the phone trying to get in touch with Student Finance :s-smilie:
Original post by RachBee
Anyone else have any advice? As I really would rather avoid spending hours on the phone trying to get in touch with Student Finance :s-smilie:

I have found they answer their phones quite quickly, I've never been on hold for very long. I think lines are open until 8pm each day as well, which is really handy if you've been busy during the day.

Just call if you need to!
You apply as a new student, because it's a new course. Your Art ID is the same because it identifies you as an individual. I found the process was quite easy as they didn't need as much evidence this time around.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by RachBee
I just got a place on the PGCE course at the University of Manchester and am hoping to get my student finance application in by the deadline...so was hoping that somebody might be able to give me some advice. :s-smilie: Is it true that PGCE students should apply using the paper form, rather than doing it online? Are we classed as new or continuing students? ( I graduated in 2009, but have found conflicting information regarding the classification :confused: ) Would I use my old ART ID etc even if I'm classing myself as a new student? Has anyone already applied and received a reply from Student Finance? Or applied last year and could share any info? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Hiya I also received a place on the primary pgce for manchester. I haven't graduated yet, but started a new student finance application, this is a necessity as you are starting a new course. I did it using the online one, it was fine and went through within a couple of months. So yeah, you are a new student. Hope that helps!

Are you at UoM or MMU? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by amiiness1991
Hiya I also received a place on the primary pgce for manchester. I haven't graduated yet, but started a new student finance application, this is a necessity as you are starting a new course. I did it using the online one, it was fine and went through within a couple of months. So yeah, you are a new student. Hope that helps!

Are you at UoM or MMU? :smile:

Hi :smile: Congratulations :biggrin: I will be at UoM, are you too? i noticed that your location is Hull, does that mean you're at the University of Hull? I'm asking because that's where I did my undergraduate degree :biggrin:
I applied online and my application was approved very quickly, which has made me a bit worried :s-smilie: Hopefully it was just quick because I applied before the deadline *needs to stop worrying so much*
Original post by RachBee
Hi :smile: Congratulations :biggrin: I will be at UoM, are you too? i noticed that your location is Hull, does that mean you're at the University of Hull? I'm asking because that's where I did my undergraduate degree :biggrin:
I applied online and my application was approved very quickly, which has made me a bit worried :s-smilie: Hopefully it was just quick because I applied before the deadline *needs to stop worrying so much*

Thats so weird, yeah I have just finished my degree at Hull! What did you study? And yeah UoM, cannot wait to start! Where you living in september then?

It becomes approved quickly, but then you have to do all this other stuff, like sign a delcaration form etc. they should send you anything you need. There might be a page that says what is outstanding, often like parents income evidence, etc.
Reply 9
I've just finished uni within the last month, and am doing PGCE secondary mathematics. I rang student finance and they said i can't apply for a loan.

What to do? I need the maintenance loan

Or did i just speak to a retard?
Original post by Bogies
I've just finished uni within the last month, and am doing PGCE secondary mathematics. I rang student finance and they said i can't apply for a loan.

What to do? I need the maintenance loan

Or did i just speak to a retard?

If you've FINISHED uni you aren't a student... so you can't get STUDENT finance. You've totally missed the boat on that one, I'm afraid, seeing as you're meant to apply BEFORE uni, not after...
Original post by Writer_Kitty
If you've FINISHED uni you aren't a student... so you can't get STUDENT finance. You've totally missed the boat on that one, I'm afraid, seeing as you're meant to apply BEFORE uni, not after...

I'm assuming they meant they have finished their degree and they will be doing a PGCE in September. I'm which case they should be able to apply for a loan/grant/bursary etc as long as they have only previously had years worth of funding.

Reply 12
Original post by myblueheaven339
I'm assuming they meant they have finished their degree and they will be doing a PGCE in September. I'm which case they should be able to apply for a loan/grant/bursary etc as long as they have only previously had years worth of funding.

Yes, this is the case. I've just finished my degree in Economics and Finance, and i'm starting my PGCE in September. So I am eligible for a loan/bursary etc? Do i just start a new application with my old login ID
Original post by Bogies
Yes, this is the case. I've just finished my degree in Economics and Finance, and i'm starting my PGCE in September. So I am eligible for a loan/bursary etc? Do i just start a new application with my old login ID

Yes, you should be able to make a new application using your old details. You will be classed as a new student as its a completely new course.

Reply 14
Argh :frown: So Student Finance assessed me as living elsewhere during my course even though i put home on the online application :frown: and now they're taking forever to reassess my application :frown: AND the woman I talked to told me that I need to sign and return the declaration that I was sent with the original assessment, even though the amounts are wrong because I'm agreeing to the terms and conditions, not the amounts...wtf? I'm getting so stressed :frown:
Original post by RachBee
Argh :frown: So Student Finance assessed me as living elsewhere during my course even though i put home on the online application :frown: and now they're taking forever to reassess my application :frown: AND the woman I talked to told me that I need to sign and return the declaration that I was sent with the original assessment, even though the amounts are wrong because I'm agreeing to the terms and conditions, not the amounts...wtf? I'm getting so stressed :frown:

Surely you get more money of they think you're living elsewhere? I would argue its in their interest to get it sorted ASAP, so it's weird that they're taking ages to do it.

Reply 16
Original post by myblueheaven339
Surely you get more money of they think you're living elsewhere? I would argue its in their interest to get it sorted ASAP, so it's weird that they're taking ages to do it.

You're right, I should get less loan...so you'd think they'd want to fix it asap :s-smilie: Guess all I can do is keep checking my account online & hope I'll see the correct amounts soon :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending