The Student Room Group

Islamabad: Man killed by mob and body set on fire for ripped out Quran pages

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/04/pakistanis-kill-man-accus_0_n_1648970.html

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-07-05/pakistan/32550373_1_police-station-qurans-mob

ISLAMABAD Thousands of people dragged a Pakistani man accused of desecrating Islam's holy book from a police station in central Pakistan, beat him to death and then set his body on fire, a police official said Wednesday.

The incident highlighted the highly charged nature of Pakistan's blasphemy laws, under which anyone found guilty of insulting Islam's Prophet or the Quran can be sentenced to death.

Sometimes, however, people take the matter into their own hands.

A senior police officer, Mohammed Azhar Gujar, said in the incident Tuesday in Bahawalpur, a city in a deeply conservative part of central Pakistan, attackers stormed a police station where the man was being interrogated.

Gujar said the victim seemed to be mentally unstable. He was arrested after residents said he threw pages of the Quran into the street.

While the man was being questioned, some people started making announcements over mosque loudspeakers, urging residents to go to the police station and punish him.

Within hours, thousands gathered outside and demanded the man be handed over to them. Gujar said police tried to protect him, but the mob turned violent.

They burned several police vehicles and wounded seven officers before grabbing the man and dragging him into the street, where he was beaten to death and his body set on fire.

Gujar said the mob also attacked the house of an area police chief and burned his furniture and possessions.

It was unclear whether the man was Muslim, a member of Pakistan's Christian minority or belonged to another religion. His name was not released.

Pakistani Christians live in fear of being arrested under the blasphemy laws, which critics say are often misused to settle personal scores or family feuds.

Efforts to change the laws have made little headway. Last year, two prominent Pakistani political figures who spoke out against the blasphemy laws were killed in attacks that raised concerns about the rise of religious extremism in Pakistan.

During a visit to Pakistan in May, Gabriela Knaul, the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers, said lawyers are often reluctant to defend clients accused under the blasphemy laws because of intimidation, and judges are often pressured to convict.

Yet another case of a pakistani mob this time killing someone for insulting the Quran. The second in less than a week, if I am informed correctly. This, of course, comes as no surprise to people like me, however there are still people out there who would like to deny that these increasing attacks by gangs of muslims are anything to do with Islam. Now, can you imagine someone in the UK insulting Jesus or the Bible and in turn being murdered by people in the street and set on fire? Would this even happen on the Bible belt in the US? And not just 1, 2, no, not even 100 or 200, THOUSANDS of angry muslims committed murder and then brutally set this man alight, this kind of proves the survey that one third of muslims agree with killing for religon. Brutal, i must say. What are your views, is Pakistan a safe place to be, is it democratic and is one able to practice freedom of speech there?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it is not! Nor are any of the deeply Islamic countries.
I myself am from Afghanistan and my family wants me to go and see my country, but I ain't having none of it.
I'm atheist so if anyone found out something like this might happen to me =|
I've spent too many hours in the library studying to die lool

Islam is underdeveloped religion I'm not saying it in an insulting way but they just don't understand that just because many of them believe in the same thing
It doesn't mean they have the right to punish people who believe differently

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
This kind of thing probably wouldn't have happened 40 years ago. It is linked to the rise of Saudi financed Wahhabism in Pakistan.

Also, it was in Bahawalpur, not Islamabad. Also this isn't the second this week.
Original post by meraphox
No it is not! Nor are any of the deeply Islamic countries.
I myself am from Afghanistan and my family wants me to go and see my country, but I ain't having none of it.
I'm atheist so if anyone found out something like this might happen to me =|
I've spent too many hours in the library studying to die lool

Islam is underdeveloped religion I'm not saying it in an insulting way but they just don't understand that just because many of them believe in the same thing
It doesn't mean they have the right to punish people who believe differently

Good god, Afghanistan is the last place an atheist, or anyone for that matter, should be visiting

Are people actually allowed to visit for holidays at the moment? Cant be the safest of places what with it being 10 years down the line of war

What shocks me is not the Islamic belief which I dont have a problem with, but the brutal lengths muslims appear to go to day in day out, over a book

for my advanced western mind this is just to much to comprehend, how thousands of people can be so ferocious minded as to kill someone for this

RIP to this poor guy, atleast he is out of that hell hole
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
This kind of thing probably wouldn't have happened 40 years ago. It is linked to the rise of Saudi financed Wahhabism in Pakistan.

Also, it was in Bahawalpur, not Islamabad. Also this isn't the second this week.

Article says Islamabad mate, either way it makes no difference to the story

only the other day i saw a thread on here about another guy who had been lynched by a mob for exactly the same reason, luckily though he didnt die and wasnt set on fire like this poor bloke
Reply 5
The fact that the mosque speakers announced it to the city. I thought religion was about peace and forgiving.
Original post by pbsjohnz
The fact that the mosque speakers announced it to the city. I thought religion was about peace and forgiving.

Not really, its about telling lies, brainwashing and control

islam means submission, not peace however i'd say that for any religion
Islam is the religion of peace.
I will add, can you imagine muslim population rising a lot more in the UK and the result of it? Especially as most muslims in the UK are pakistani

You'll be seeing this sort of thing on your local highstreet in 20 years, if you live in the right area

NEWSFLASH:

12th July 2032
'Manchester- man killed by angry 1000 strong mob after saying Islamic Prophet Muhammed was a paedophile'
Original post by badcheesecrispy
I will add, can you imagine muslim population rising a lot more in the UK and the result of it? Especially as most muslims in the UK are pakistani

You'll be seeing this sort of thing on your local highstreet in 20 years, if you live in the right area

NEWSFLASH:

12th July 2032
'Manchester- man killed by angry 1000 strong mob after saying Islamic Prophet Muhammed was a paedophile'

:facepalm:Double facepalm:facepalm:
Somehow, you're predicting that public lynchings will happen in 20 years?
I'll know who to call if I get into the stock market.. :rolleyes:
Original post by NuckingFut
:facepalm:Double facepalm:facepalm:
Somehow, you're predicting that public lynchings will happen in 20 years?
I'll know who to call if I get into the stock market.. :rolleyes:

Wouldnt be surprised, if the rate carries on of british pakistani muslims marrying from overseas where the backward brigade are, bringing them over here then continue breeding like rabbits over here

You dont think things like this would happen here if muslims became a significant part of the population? Or do you know they would but like any muslim who obeys gods word (if you are one??) you keep quiet and continue taqiyyah so that people dont know the true meaning and intentions of the faith?

Of course I might be wrong here, I'm not saying this will happen but of course its very likely if muslims continue to overpopulate the country at the rate they are now
Wouldnt be surprised, if the rate carries on of british pakistani muslims marrying from overseas where the backward brigade are, bringing them over here then continue breeding like rabbits over here

You dont think things like this would happen here if muslims became a significant part of the population? Or do you know they would but like any muslim who obeys gods word (if you are one??) you keep quiet and continue taqiyyah so that people dont know the true meaning and intentions of the faith?

Of course I might be wrong here, I'm not saying this will happen but of course its very likely if muslims continue to overpopulate the country at the rate they are now

Statistics for ratio of fundamentalist to rationalist Muslims please.
Reply 12

NEWSFLASH:

12th July 2032

What's being Pakistani got to do with it? I'm ethnically Pakistani but i'm not part of that sick religion.
Reply 13

Umm surely it would be the complete opposite? Surely they would understand the western culture and accept it more if they lived in it. Also, these people are obviously not representative of the entire population. I'm sure many people are agreeing that what happened to the person was wrong - killing innocent people in Islam is wrong and is a sin.
animals.
Original post by Pesti
What's being Pakistani got to do with it? I'm ethnically Pakistani but i'm not part of that sick religion.

it hasnt, its just the majority of muslims in the UK are pakistanis and the majority of pakistanis are muslims, this crime has twice happened in pakistan but obviously it would happen elsewhere

of course, its not a pakistani issue where talking about here but an islamic one
Original post by JongKey
Umm surely it would be the complete opposite? Surely they would understand the western culture and accept it more if they lived in it. Also, these people are obviously not representative of the entire population. I'm sure many people are agreeing that what happened to the person was wrong - killing innocent people in Islam is wrong and is a sin.

It could be, I see westernized pakistanis everywhere, the other day i saw a purely pakistani girl arm in arm with a white guy, so this is a huge probability and the way i would like it to go tbh

sorry but imagine the tables being turned- a muslim in the UK being lynched by thousands of non muslims and murdered- i think many people would agree it is a problem with a sizeable percentage of the population and clearly a problem
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Florrick
The articles contradict one another. They name different cities.

Is this another atypical denial tactic? Your not honestly going to try and say that that means it didnt happen are you?

LOL
Reply 18
it hasnt, its just the majority of muslims in the UK are pakistanis and the majority of pakistanis are muslims, this crime has twice happened in pakistan but obviously it would happen elsewhere

of course, its not a pakistani issue where talking about here but an islamic one

I agree, it's Islam stopping a lot of Pakistanis integrating into the UK.
Reply 19
RIP to the man that was killed... Sooo so any disregards to islam by a muslim even if he/she is mentally retarded is punishable? Thats so bad :frown: what if a 11 year old did the same thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending