The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

anyone know an easy recipe for pasta? (Apart from the usual tomato sauce one & mac'n'cheese)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 443
Original post by swaggiee
anyone know an easy recipe for pasta? (Apart from the usual tomato sauce one & mac'n'cheese)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hmm have you tried pasta bake? I like making up a bechamal sauce, chucking in some sweetcorn, tuna and cheese and baking, really lovely comfort food.
Reply 444
Triggers chicken curry

Ingredients

Chicken breast
Pattaks tikka masala paste (or make your own)
Garlic
Ginger
Almonds
Tomato paste
Yogurt
Lemon
Chillies (if you like spice)
Fresh coriander
Water
Oil
Seasoning

1) Chop the chicken into bite sized chunks and in a bowl mix enough yogurt to cover the chicken, about 1tbls of paste and mix the two together. Marinate for at least an hour in the fridge
2) Roughly chop the onions, garlic and ginger and chillies if using and warm some oil in the pan. Add the onions and sweat (this means a slow cook and you are not browning them) once translucent add your garlic, chillies and ginger and cook gently.
3) Once everything is soft and smells amazing add about a tbls of tom paste and about 3 tbls of curry paste and cook gently, giving it all a stir so everything is coated. Add about 100-200ml of water and simmer gently
4) Heat up your grill, line the tray with tin foil if you dont like a mess and stick the chicken on skewers. Pop them under the grill to cook. You want that lovely slightly burned edges similar to chicken tikka you get at your local indian
5) Once your sauce has reduced add it to your blender. If you have whole almonds you will need to blend these first and you need about 1/2 tbls of them in your mix. Blend till smooth then add back into the pan.
6) Your chicken should be cooked so gently pull it of the skewers and add to the sauce and cook it all very gently to ensure its all cooked through.
7) Add yogurt to the sauce to taste and a good squeeze of lemon and chopped coriander
8) Serve with some rice and a nann bread (or whatever, i'm not the food police)
Vegan oreo-style cookies

The original recipe came from this awesome book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cookie...d_bxgy_b_img_b) and I've found that you can do with less milk and more flour, and the baking powder isn't strictly necessary because they rise so much just with SR flour

3/4 cup soya margarine (tastes better than sunflower)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1 1/2 cups plain or white self raising flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

For filling:
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 cups icing sugar

- beat margarine, sugar and vanilla together. Add most of the milk and dry ingredients.
- dough should be sticky and relatively thick, add extra flour as needed. Place in fridge for at least 10 min to firm it up a little.
- preheat oven to 160C
- cover dough & hands in flour and form small balls (like, just a pinch of dough) and flatten onto a tray (line with baking parchment, they can stick to almost anything). Flatten to about 1/8" (they do rise). (Actually rolling them out seems like far too much effort for something so sticky, but if you want to do it between two sheets of baking parchment, cut on the parchment, remove excess and transfer the whole sheet to a tray)
- bake for 12 mins
- mix filling ingredients in a blender, assemble once cookies are cool.

The most I've made from this amount is about 40 halves and the lowest 22. Enjoy :smile:
Corned Beef Hash (might not sound exciting but its yummy with some crusty bread)

1 Tin of Corned beef
1 Onion chopped small
4 carrots chopped
4 large potatoes in thumb size pieces
mug full of frozen peas
table spoon of gravy granuals
worcestershire sauce and salt to taste

chuck it all in a big pan, stir regulary to make sure it doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan. serve when the potatoes and carrots are cooked through
another one

Tunisian Chicken with cous cous

chicken legs and thighs est 2 - 3 pieces per person))
cous cous
2 cartons of passata
1 small tin of tomato puree
2 onions cut into large chunks
4 courgettes cut into large chunks
3 sweet potatoes as above
salt and pepper
garlic to taste (i use roughly 8 cloves for 5 people)
chilli to taste (I use 3 teaspoons)
mixed herbs (2 teaspoons)

brown off the chicken and put in large casserole dish with all the veg, passata, puree, garlic, chilli and herbs and 1/2 pint of water (you will use juices to cook the cus cous later on so make sure theres plenty)

cook for approx 2 hours till veg cooked and chicken tender.

remove enough of the tomatoey stock to soak the cous cous,

serve with this salad, its lovely

2 apples finely chopped
2 celery sticks as above
3 tomatoes ''
large half of a cucumber ''
1 red pepper
1 green pepper ''
mix together with a big slug f lemon juice
big slug of olive oil (the garlic infused is the best)
plenty of salt and pepper
I found this on the back of some Hershey's cocoa and I made it, I wasn't expecting much from a recipe on the back of a box, but it's honestly the best chocolate cake I've ever made! So rich, moist and chocolatey.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=Redirect-recipes%20(asp)&id=184
Peanut Butter Balls :smile:

These are really healthy, satisfy the sweet craving you get, and has lots of protein in them, very filling.

1 Cup Organic peanut butter
1 Cup Organic honey
1 Cup of chopped mixed nuts (best are almonds, hazelnuts)
2 Cup of fruit muesli
1/2 Cup of raisins

1. Chop the cup of mixed nuts
2. Measure out the muesli and raisins.
3. Pour into a saucepan, the honey and peanut butter
4. On a very low heat, gently melt and stir together the peanut butter and honey.
5. Once mixed together take off the heat, and mix in the muesli, raisins, and nuts.
6. Put in the fridge for around 2 hours to completely cool down
7. Mould into bitesize ball shapes and voila :smile:
Shepherd’s pie with an Italian twist budget friendly
Ingredients
- tomato pasata (buy a value carton, normally no more than 20p to £1 Tesco are cheapest), it’s basically mashed up tomatoes, saves you buying the tomatoes and mashing them up yourself!
- dried basil
- brown sugar
- red wine (look for small bottles or Tesco’s even do cartons if not, buy a big bottle and then you’ve got a drink and all!)
- teaspoon of Worcester sauce
- potatoes get the rooster variety, or Maris Piper/King Edward, or you can buy a packet of premashed potatoes and skip all the potato cooking steps!
- beef stock cube
- tomato puree this stuff lasts for ages if kept in the fridge and comes in very handy
- chopped red or white onion it’s up to you, red provides a bit of a sweeter flavour, white a bit sharper
- red pepper finely chopped
- carrot either finely chopped or grated
- mushrooms baby button ones are good, you can cook a couple of different meals from one pack
- beef mince - defrosted
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- grated cheese either cheddar or mozzarella, cheddar provides a stronger cheesey flavour
- Optional you might want a bit of garlic or chilli for an extra flavour.
- Double pouring cream or semi skimmed milk, plus a bit of butter for the potatoes.
First you need to get the potatoes ready peel them, wash them well and then chop them into quarters. Bung them in a pan full of water, get it on the hob on a high heat. Keep the water boiling.

While you’re waiting:

Get a sauce-pan. Pour the tomato pasata in, heat it gently. Add a wee pinch of basil, a wee pinch of salt, a teaspoon of brown sugar, a small (250ml) glass of red wine, the Worcester sauce and stir. Crumble in the stock cube. Bring the sauce to the boil (when it’s bubbling!) and then remove from the heat (to an unused ring).

Chop up the pepper, chop up the onion (hold a teaspoon in your mouth or wear goggles to prevent tears!), wash the mushrooms and depending on preference (and size of mushrooms!) chop them or just keep them whole, chop or grate the carrot.

Take a frying pan and put this on the heated ring, add olive oil and the defrosted mince. Stir it quickly, with a wooden spoon, until it’s brown. Turn the heat down a bit, so that the mince is just cooking but not so fast that it’ll burn. Add the vegetables and stir. Keep this on the heat for a while, turning up and down as needed and keep stirring. You’ll know it’s done when the mix smells gorgeous. Add the garlic or chilli if you fancy.

Turn the heat down or better, move the pan to a cool ring, and add the sauce. The reason for moving it is to prevent the sauce spitting at you when it hits the hot pan!

Keep it on a low heat for a bit.

So now we’ve got to sort the potatoes. Drain them with a coliander if you’ve got, or with a small pan lid if you haven’t. Pour a wee bit of the milk (or cream) into the potatoes and then add a table spoon or two of butter and a bit of salt and pepper. Mash them up with a potato masher til all the lumps are gone (all larger supermarkets or even the pound shop will have). Add half the grated cheese and stir.

Now get an ovenproof dish. Place your mince and veg mix in the bottom of the dish, and then put the potatoes on the top. Add to that the rest of the cheese to give it a good crispy coasting.

Bung the whole thing in the oven; give it an hour or so until the cheese is bubbling and a good golden brown.

Brilliant with garlic bread and a cool glass of white wine (or lemonade!)

It will take a while to make but it’s good for a whole flat meal and a lot of the ingredients will do multiple meals.
Reply 451
Tastes a million times better than it might sound, the Cola boils down to a sweet lighly flavoured sticky glaze, made with cheap easily accessible ingredients, plus it's relatively simple to cook.

-900g pack of chicken wings cut in half (cost less than £2 usually) or drumsticks
-1 can of Coca-cola (NOT diet or zero or anything like that)
-1 shotglass of dark soy-sauce
-Cooking oil
-A decent cooking pot preferably with a clear lid
-Tongs or decent serving spoons
-1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice (not essential)

Pour the oil into the pot, just enough that it covers the bottom. Then crank up the heat, you know it's hot enough once it begins 'smoking', rippling and cracking. Remember, NEVER throw water on it IF it catches fire. Keep a damp towel at hand and place it over the pot if this happens.

Carefully push the chicken into the pot off of the edge of a chopping board. Stir round once, oven gloves over a long sleeve wouldn't go amiss here. It will get spluttery. Reduce the heat. Cover with the lid and stir occasionally. You know it's cooked once all sides of every piece of chicken is opaque, and somewhat crispy looking.

If diet is a concern, then you may drain off the fat at this point. Add soysauce and the five spice if you are including it. Turn the heat up for a bit and stir round until there is no visible excess soysauce and it's all soaked into the meat.

Pour in the entire can of Cola, then allow to boil down but DO turn down the heat gradually because it could burn. Take it straight off the heat once the sauce has turned to a syrup like consistency and not a gravy like one.

There you go, might sound bizarre but it tastes EXACTLY like the chicken wings you get from Chinese restaurants. Makes you wonder what they put in their food.

I whipped it up for my mate with his chicken the other night, he can't cook. We enjoyed it so much we tried it again with Tango. Then also with Mountain Dew with a knife-end each of oregano, thyme, rosemary and a small crushed garlic clove instead of 5 spice. Hell, let your ideas run wild, then report back with what works well!
(edited 11 years ago)
Sounds slightly bizarre, although them again I've used coke in BBQ sauces so I guess this isn't too far removed! If I ever get bored of buffalo wings, my current vice food-wise, I will definitely give these a go (:
My dad boils a gammon joint in coke and it comes out lovely. It makes it nice and sweet and takes away some of the saltiness.
http://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/lemon-tart.aspx

You will not regret. It is incredible. Well worth the time.
The Katsu Chicken:

Thinly sliced chicken breasts
1 egg (beaten)
Half a cup of flour
1 cup of panko bread crumbs
Chilli flakes (optional)

Dust chicken breasts one by one with flour, dip in the egg and then coat with panko bread crumbs.

Shallow fry until cooked and golden brown. Slice into vertical or diagonal strips.

The Curry Sauce:

1 onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons of curry
3 garlic cloves crushed or chopped into tiny peices
I cup of Beef stock
2 heaped teaspoons of Corn Flour

Fry onion and garlic for approximately 2 mins until soft but do not let it turn brown. Add curry powder and continue to fry, for a further 8 minutes until the curry has blended and fried with the onion. Add beef stock and simmer for 10 mins. Finally, mix the corn flour and a little bit of water to create a paste and then add a whole up of water to the paste. Add this paste to your curry and continue to stir until thick. Allow to cook for a further 5 mins. Finally your kastu curry sauce is ready.

Rice:

Can cook either white or brown rice, depending on nutritional preferences.

To serve:

Dish the rice on a plate, lay the vertical pieces on the rice and then liberally pour the curry sauce over chicken pieces. Wall-ah, your dinner is served.
My mum has made this in the past- it's good actually! :smile:
anybody on here got a good recipe for welsh cakes? Met somebody from Wales last year back in Australia who made brilliant ones, and have not had any ever since :frown:
Reply 458
Original post by Kiwihoney
anybody on here got a good recipe for welsh cakes? Met somebody from Wales last year back in Australia who made brilliant ones, and have not had any ever since :frown:

I can't vouch for the authenticity of this recipe (especially as I can't remember where I got it from) but I can confirm it does result in some rather good cakes:

1. Mix 225g plain flour, 85g caster sugar, ½ tsp mixed spice, ½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt
2. Rub in 50g butter and 50g lard until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then mix in 50g dried currants
3. Work in a beaten egg to form a soft dough - adding milk if it seems dry - until it has the consistency of shortcrust pastry (should be on the soft side rather than tough)
4. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1cm and cut into rounds of diameter 6cm (makes around 16 cakes)
5. Dry fry the rounds in a heavy based pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side until crisp and golden brown
Original post by onefour
I can't vouch for the authenticity of this recipe (especially as I can't remember where I got it from) but I can confirm it does result in some rather good cakes:

1. Mix 225g plain flour, 85g caster sugar, ½ tsp mixed spice, ½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt
2. Rub in 50g butter and 50g lard until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then mix in 50g dried currants
3. Work in a beaten egg to form a soft dough - adding milk if it seems dry - until it has the consistency of shortcrust pastry (should be on the soft side rather than tough)
4. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1cm and cut into rounds of diameter 6cm (makes around 16 cakes)
5. Dry fry the rounds in a heavy based pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side until crisp and golden brown

:adore:

Quick Reply