The Student Room Group

Foundation Year for Entry

Okay so I'm going to try and say this as clearly as I can since I'm not very good at explaining!

I'm currently studying Art, English Literature and ICT in South Wales (just finished my AS year) and I want to apply for Liverpool John Moores Uni.

I've been told I wouldn't be able to get onto the course without a Foundation Degree in Art & Design which sadly my college nor LMJU can accommodate me with. My questions are:

Am I able to take a foundation degree alongside my A Levels this coming September? - Perhaps online or my college can give me a crash course for their 2 year BTEC.

If I cannot, do I apply to the University for the Foundation Degree or will I have to apply to Liverpool Community College (I think they do it) and then apply for LJMU in 2014?

Thanks for any help!

Adam
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
A Foundation degree is basically the first two years of a three year bachelors degree, it's a level 5 qualification equivalent to the HND. You can't do it at the same time as A levels which are level 3.
You might be confusing it with the foundation year which is a one year course taken before starting a degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
A Foundation degree is basically the first two years of a three year bachelors degree, it's a level 5 qualification equivalent to the HND. You can't do it at the same time as A levels which are level 3.
You might be confusing it with the foundation year which is a one year course taken before starting a degree.

Thanks for your quick reply. It does seem as though I'm getting confused with the two, this was some of the email I received from LMJU:

"To answer your questions:

· If you are studying for three A levels we still require you to do an Art foundation course. Unfortunately we do not offer a foundation programme at LJMU so you would need to source this at a local college for example"

Is it possible to do a foundation year alongside a levels in my own time so I do not have to spend another year in college?
Reply 3
There's a list of colleges doing art foundation courses on ucas website. Can't provide a link as I'm on the phone.

A google shows there's a possibility of doing a distance learning course (at your own expense), i'm not sure if it'd be acceptable to ljmu. Other than that you could always ask at your college.
Reply 4
Ps might be worth starting a new thread on the creative arts course forum to ask.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice, I'll post a thread now!
Reply 6
Are there no colleges near you that do an art foundation course? It may be worth checking other colleges ect.
You won't have time to do it alongside your A levels, the vast majority of people do it the year after they do their a levels.
Most art courses will require you to have done one of these before they will accept you on to a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest