The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does everyone hate Birmingham?

Seriously, everyone in this country seems to hate Birmingham.

People always saying how it's a ****hole or how dumb we sound with our accents.

What have we done to deserve this ill treatment?

Birmingham deserves respect as the Second City of the UK.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm from Brum and most of it is a dump.
Original post by TRS-T

People claim you are dumb not because of your accents but because of your grammar.
I have been in Birmingham about 3 times of which 2 times were to get to the airport. When you drive past the city or enter it you can literally see the whole city, it looks so grey and grim. The look of the place makes me shiver :s-smilie: I'd hate to live there...
Plus, the British will moan at anything - the Olympics is one of the greatest sporting events ever and we still complain. We are one of the richest countries in the world and we still complain.
Reply 5
It is pretty grim here.
Reply 6
The bullrings nice...
Everyone ? One of the best nightlifes apart from that ....
Went there for a gig at the LG Arena in May, spent the following day in the city (namely the Bullring area). Seemed quite nice.
Reply 9
I don't hate Birmingham. There are some very pretty areas! Like selly oak and edgbaston. And the university is one of the nicest campuses I've seen in the UK.
I've never been there! But for some reason i just wouldn't consider ever going.. i don't know why..
Reply 11
Because its a dump, in the politest way possible... there may be some nice areas but the majority id avoid like the plague.
Also being Britains second largest city doesnt mean its nice/good etc. just means more over crowding
Reply 12
I really like Birmingham!

People appreciate different architectural styles I suppose. Brindley place/Edgbaston are lovely! I really like Digbeth...
Reply 13
Parts of Birmingham are very green. The River Rea cycle route, the Worcester canal, River Cole walk etc. Its a great city.
Reply 14
Why u dissin' my city Bro?

Seriously though there are some horrid places in Birmingham, but then there are some lovely places here too.
Reply 15
There's horrid places in every city.
Reply 16
0121! FAMM

BIRMINGHAM :biggrin:

No.
I've never been there but I wouldn't say its a bad place and like someone just said it does have a reputable night life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by TRS-T

Well if that's how you think, then I know why a lot of people would hate it. Either Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast should be the "Second City of the UK", particularly because they all host national legislatures, similar to London and most other countries.
Original post by TRS-T

In my experience, when most people ridicule the accent and attempt to imitate it they actual do a Black Country accent.
Reply 19
Original post by zaliack
Well if that's how you think, then I know why a lot of people would hate it. Either Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast should be the "Second City of the UK", particularly because they all host national legislatures, similar to London and most other countries.

Its the 2nd biggest city, that's why its called the 2nd city.

Latest