The Student Room Group

MA at Geneva School of Diplomacy?

Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations
-what is the reputation? Just need more information on the school/the MA in IR programme. I used the search function and found an old thread on it, however because the school is so new I am curious as to whether their reputation has increased/decreased...:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied and got an offer from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (aka. Graduate Institute of Geneva) which is a really great school, English-language, and very career-oriented. It sends a lot of graduates to work for the UN. I'm not sure we're talking about the same school though.
Reply 2
I'm referring to: http://genevadiplomacy.com/

I'll have to check out the Grad institute of geneva
Reply 3
Interesting, Sunflower.

Graduate Institute of Geneva is certainly cheaper, but is also two years. I wonder if anyone could shed some more light on these two schools.
Reply 4
Good Luck! I've never been to Switzerland but I've always wanted to live in Geneva, no matter how boring and dull people say it is. I applied to the Graduate Institute because of its reputation and career opportunities, but I declined the offer to study at Cambridge University. I may try to get into the Grad Inst for doctoral study tho because the location is ideal for me.
Reply 5
It depends what you want to do. I graduated from the GSD (Geneva School of Diplomacy) and am now working for the United Nations. I went there after a MA at Sorbonne because I knew it was the most connected school to the UN and the diplomatic world. I did the MIR there (International Relations). It helps because contrary to the Graduate Institute (HEI), most of the teachers at GSD are diplomats for the UN, their government, or high level in NGOs. They helped me to get into the UN. The director - a tough but super nice Irish guy - used to be the top UN negotiator in Bosnia during the war (among other places). I might even go back to do a PhD (if the UN allows me to take a break...).
Hope it helped...
Reply 6
BobbyK
The director - a tough but super nice Irish guy - used to be the top UN negotiator in Bosnia during the war (among other places).

You're hitting a chord here Bobby! I'm croatian-american and most of my research/case studies focus on the Balkans. Interesting stuff, I'm visiting the campus in August (going to be in Geneva for other reasons, not just flying all the way over there for the hell of it:smile: )
Reply 7
Hi Bobby, Greg.

I might have a few more questions. I certainly do notice those high-ranking officials teaching there. That's a big plus! However, I also notice that there is a lack of publications online coming from Geneva School of Diplomacy. (Typically, public universities get ranked by number of publications that appear on google). Geneva School of Diplomacy has very few.....

Now, I am wondering whether this is because school specializes in employment, negotiation, diplomacy rather than writing and publication. Or perhaps only a few students make it?

Anyway, please send me a private message if you don't want to post here. I would like to find out about student life, curriculum, and finally how are jobs linked to the institution (some universities have contracts with employees). Cheers.
Reply 8
Hi Greg and Mbobic,

Happy I could help. I know choosing a university from the internet can turn out to be quite... dangerous.
When you go in August, you'll find that the GSD's campus is 1) in the middle of a park, with a splendid view on the lake and the Alps, and the classes are in a chateau. Not too bad... And 2) there are maximum 15 students by class, which is a major plus of the school, because the classes become super-interactive and the teachers know you well - and they can help you.
I appreciated the small size of the campus, made things easier for the interaction with the other students and with the teachers - especially with a job perspective...

Greg, frankly I never notice or either cared about the publications online. Most of the students who go there don't really want to become academic, they want to work in the international relations system and get a job or internship, for example, at the UN after. So you're quite right in your analysis is the second paragraph.

Finally, regarding your question about the jobs, most of the professors in regular universities are ... professors and just care about their publications. At GSD, they all work in places where you wouldn't mind getting a job, and they wouldn't mind helping you anyway. Their network is amazing and, even if there is never any guaranty, I would say this is one of the best places in Europe to study with an employment perspective in the international relations.

Good luck people,

B.
Reply 9
Hi Greg and Mbobic,

Happy I could help. I know choosing a university from the internet can turn out to be quite... dangerous.
When you go in August, you'll find that the GSD's campus is 1) in the middle of a park, with a splendid view on the lake and the Alps, and the classes are in a chateau. Not too bad... And 2) there are maximum 15 students by class, which is a major plus of the school, because the classes become super-interactive and the teachers know you well - and they can help you.
I appreciated the small size of the campus, made things easier for the interaction with the other students and with the teachers - especially with a job perspective...

Greg, frankly I never notice or either cared about the publications online. Most of the students who go there don't really want to become academic, they want to work in the international relations system and get a job or internship, for example, at the UN after. So you're quite right in your analysis is the second paragraph.

Finally, regarding your question about the jobs, most of the professors in regular universities are ... professors and just care about their publications. At GSD, they all work in places where you wouldn't mind getting a job, and they wouldn't mind helping you anyway. Their network is amazing and, even if there is never any guaranty, I would say this is one of the best places in Europe to study with an employment perspective in the international relations.

Good luck people,

B.
Reply 10
hey ive graduated with a low 2.2 and was wandering if i would have a chance to study MA International relations at the school of diplomacy?
Reply 11
BobbyK
Hi Greg and Mbobic,

Good luck people,

B.

Thanks Bobby, I like that 15 person limit. I'm sure I'll end up applying, I think the campus tour should be very helpful. In reference to the post above me, I would like to ask what you (Bobby) see as standard entrance credentials? US gpa?
Reply 12
Hi,

Well, regarding the entrance credential, it's quite easy: if you manage to show enough motivation in front of the director, you're in. I mentioned it before, the director is a former field officer for the UN, tough field. He doesn't seem to believe in credentials, more in people. If you have the chance to meet him and you show some kind of passion for the international relations, with a project (where you would ideally like to work, to do what) you'll be fine. The director doesn't want the best students in the world, he wants the most motivated, the ones who actually want to do something about this world. Good for me, my credentials were clearly too low for this kind of school...Call the administration of GSD and ask for a phone meeting with the director. You'll get it.
Reply 13
how much is the fees and costs for accomodation
Reply 14
It's on their website.

MA - CHF 31′400 or £17,500
Reply 15
oh okay-is that the total cost including fees and accomodation?

would i be able to get in with a low 2.2?
Reply 16
Riz_K
oh okay-is that the total cost including fees and accomodation?

would i be able to get in with a low 2.2?

http://genevadiplomacy.com/prospective-students/fees-and-other-costs/

Fees and other costs

Tuition 2009-2010 and other fees*

Master’s degree (one year): CHF 31′400

*subject to modification
These fees do NOT include travel, living accommodation, meals, medical or health insurance and the required study trip.

Estimates of living in Geneva (food, accommodation, etc) come to 11,000CHF per year
Reply 17
Yup, just fee's.

Pretty damn expensive.. about £24,000 in total... puts me off.
Reply 18
would they accept me with a low 2.2 law degree
Reply 19
Riz_K
would they accept me with a low 2.2 law degree

None of us know.

The Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations evaluates applicants based on the breadth of their program of study, their academic achievements, the results of their national examinations, and the evaluation provided by their teachers and counsellors. The applicant’s written statement of purpose, as well as evidence of his or her maturity, also play an important role in the Admissions Committee. Admission interviews, either in person or by telephone, often take place.

Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution, good academic standing and a high motivation in pursuing studies in international relations.

Good academic standing could mean pretty much anything, no grade is specified. From the looks of it they focus on your motivation, desire and experience.

So if you are really passionate about the course and have some relevant work experience and of course have the required funds you should have a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest