The Student Room Group

BTEC are Crap and Yet A level Students are CHEATS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FinalMH
Okay. First some advice. Don't generalize.

In your experience BTEC classes are the same as GCSE this reflects the standard of teaching done at that specific college. That doesn't mean its the same throughout the whole of the UK. I assume every single student got top grades?

What pisses me off is when you get A level students who patronize BTEC students because they believe they are better which in actually fact they just haven't woken up to the real world.

In all honesty the only BTEC students I have met who have passed with say 5 GCSE's grades A-C have been the ones doing a BTEC science course or a ICT course. When you look at say the BTEC students doing Joinery or say Childcare at my college you could understand why A-level students feel a sense of superiority.

My sister for example is doing Childcare and has the highest GCSE grades in her class and she came out with 1 A and 2 C's as well as D's and E and an F. I'm not saying this is everywhere but when she comes home the work she brings home for homework is normally a poster whilst the work she has covered is less then one side of A4 despite her being in college for the same amount of time as me.

I know people who do BTECS and I agree not all of them are stupid, my BF for example is doing Joinery and HATES it as he wanted to do something practical but is going to switch to A-levels in September as for example all they done today from 9 - 5 was a scale drawing of a triangle and learnt how to write in a paragraph (which apparently must of his class couldn't do).

BTECS are good if you are a far more practical person but then to say A-level students cheat because we may get a little help is a bit insulting when we are doing 3 or 4 (some of us even more then that) subjects and have to do exams whereas BTECS are coursework based (which is in a sense easier as you have more time and also teachers help!) as I'm pretty sure your teachers will go over with you what is required of you to put in your coursework.
Reply 61
besides isn't the OP saying "A LEVEL STUDENTS are cheats" also generalization
Reply 63
Reply 64
conclusion = take IB
Reply 65
Try getting into Cambridge with your btec
you're getting confused, the articles are about the exam boards, I wouldn't ever dream of cheating in any of my exams. Feeling slightly jealous of A-level students or something?
Original post by ComputerTune
:rolleyes: O look it seems that A level students aint as smart as they had first thought. They are cheats and always will be, BTECs are gaining ground on these so called A level students. Now it is our time to look down on you cheats:angry::angry::angry:

i cba to look at grammar feel free to make any remarks, just think i might have done it on purpose :wink:

Aaaah yeah, I forgot that every single a-level student cheated. Oh, wait....
Original post by Part A
You got into a **** uni, let's be honest here...

Edit: lol at the neg, I am speaking the truth...for god's sake, university of wales...

^_^ spoken like someone who truely isn't in uni yet.
Btec people don't even have to cheat, they get everything spoon fed by the teacher. Writing essays lol if you do everything your teacher says and copy from your notes from class I think it's easier to get a pass than fail.
Reply 70
being a person with both a BTEC and A-levels, I can't say I noticed any difference in the difficulty of them.
Although my BTEC is an Art & Design foundation, not sure if that counts as the kind of BTEC people are referring to in this thread? about 80% of the people on the course were straight from A-levels, with the aim of going to university after the foundation, which is only 1 year long, and can be done as a year 0 at university as oppose to at a college if somebody wanted to do that. I didn't fancy paying for an extra year though when I could do it at a local college for free!
Original post by Stardust Mirage
Btec people don't even have to cheat, they get everything spoon fed by the teacher. Writing essays lol if you do everything your teacher says and copy from your notes from class I think it's easier to get a pass than fail.

Oh wow...

Please don't infuriate me.
Original post by Part A
sorry but I'm capable enough to judge a good university and one that's crap...he made the point and made it sound like he got into a good university by doing a BTEC - in reality, the poster got offers from rubbish 'uni's' ; in essence, I'm making sure that young people that come on here and read this drivel that BTEC's will get you into uni aren't disillusioned. A-levels/IB or you will not get into a good uni.

and in reply to your comment, spoken like someone who goes to the worst of the 2 uni's in Newcastle :wink:

And in reply to yours, 2 offers from newcastle :wink:, newcastle was my insurance because i preffered northumbrias atmosphere.
Reply 73
He might be trolling. He put up a BTEC and A level debate a while back. Don't reply or you will just feed the troll.
Original post by Part A
fair play to you. I would have picked newcastle, you don't go to uni for the atmosphere

It's much harder to educate onself in an environment you dislike. :wink:

You don't only pick a uni for it's ranking. :smile:
Reply 75
LOL btec or A level it dosent matter, all dat matters is where u end up in the end of the day
Reply 76
Original post by Part A
You got into a **** uni, let's be honest here...

Edit: lol at the neg, I am speaking the truth...for god's sake, university of wales...

I'll be honest, I didn't neg you. and in some ways I agree. but my point was. I got into one. your statement was "a levels get you into uni, btecs dont" (paraphrasing here) and I was pointing out that I got into uni with a btec. that was all.
Reply 77
A qualification is a qualification at the end of the day. If it gets you into a good career at the end of it all, what does it really matter? That's what we're aiming for, right? Nobody cares what you got in your exams when you get into the real world.
TROLL.
Reply 79
Original post by Azwozzle
A qualification is a qualification at the end of the day. If it gets you into a good career at the end of it all, what does it really matter? That's what we're aiming for, right? Nobody cares what you got in your exams when you get into the real world.

My point.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest