The Student Room Group

Kings EMDP 2012 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Medican
The entry requirements are minimum BBC. Like other med courses I'm afraid if you don't meet the minimum entry requirements then it's likely to be a rejection. :frown:

Tausif, from what I understand, EMDP selection is based heavily on Academics and UKCAT however I also believe this is relative to how well your school does. If you have OK/Good academics with a good/decent UKCAT but go to a crap school it's likely you'll get an interview. But if you have Rubbish/OK grades with an OK/Rubbish UKCAT and go to a good school (i.e. one where EMDP offers are AAA/AAB) then you'll probably get rejected.

I think for Kings, PS plays a small role.

Ahh thats made me even more confused and dont know if i should be hopeful or not!
I got 580 for my UKCAT, 2 A's at GCSE in english literature and maths and my AS results in BCCD in psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively!
Taking all this into account, (not in a big headed way) but my personal statement is outstanding! Ive even volunteered abroad along with the normal work experiance etc...Also i think my references are decent...
So if i was to sum it up- i think il be lucky if i get an interview! Any honest direct advice?
:smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Medican
The entry requirements are minimum BBC. Like other med courses I'm afraid if you don't meet the minimum entry requirements then it's likely to be a rejection. :frown:

Tausif, from what I understand, EMDP selection is based heavily on Academics and UKCAT however I also believe this is relative to how well your school does. If you have OK/Good academics with a good/decent UKCAT but go to a crap school it's likely you'll get an interview. But if you have Rubbish/OK grades with an OK/Rubbish UKCAT and go to a good school (i.e. one where EMDP offers are AAA/AAB) then you'll probably get rejected.

I think for Kings, PS plays a small role.

Yeah their admission process is really a mystery. different people have different opinion of how it works based upon their observation. I have seen academically terrible students as well as plp with 6 or 7 A*'s receiving interview. probably they consider applications holistically. so if, let say, you are weak in terms of WE or extra curry, then you will make up for it through your grades.

Original post by Honey:)
Ahh thats made me even more confused and dont know if i should be hopeful or not!
I got 580 for my UKCAT, 2 A's at GCSE in english literature and maths and my AS results in BCCD in psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively!
Taking all this into account, (not in a big headed way) but my personal statement is outstanding! Ive even volunteered abroad along with the normal work experiance etc...Also i think my references are decent...
So if i was to sum it up- i think il be lucky if i get an interview! Any honest direct advice?
:smile:

I am a reapplicant. i had interview last year and one of my friend did so as well. she had ukcat 589, average GCSE with 1 or 2 A*s and ONLY 1 month GP reception work and no other extra curricular activities. She got interview and now studying there.
Reply 62
Original post by Tausif
Yeah their admission process is really a mystery. different people have different opinion of how it works based upon their observation. I have seen academically terrible students as well as plp with 6 or 7 A*'s receiving interview. probably they consider applications holistically. so if, let say, you are weak in terms of WE or extra curry, then you will make up for it through your grades.

I am a reapplicant. i had interview last year and one of my friend did so as well. she had ukcat 589, average GCSE with 1 or 2 A*s and ONLY 1 month GP reception work and no other extra curricular activities. She got interview and now studying there.

Really:O ahh thanks so much for that! really has cheered me up loads thanks!
Ahh that seems hopeful then! Do you know when we hear back from interviews? Im just worried they wont even bother reading my personal statement! we'l just have to wait and see i suppose... (Y)
Reply 63
Original post by Tausif

Yep. A boy that went to my school got 6 A* at GCSE 570 UKCAT and was the only one to get an interview for EMDP.
Reply 64
Original post by Medican
Yep. A boy that went to my school got 6 A* at GCSE 570 UKCAT and was the only one to get an interview for EMDP.

Dayyammm:s-smilie: so you havent heard about perhaps the ones that havent got all those A stars?
Ive emailed them asking if they will at least consider my app so their response will probably be the most accurate one! All i want is for them to read my PS and il be happy:smile:
Reply 65
Got a rejection. :frown:
Reply 66
Dayyammm:s-smilie: so you havent heard about perhaps the ones that havent got all those A stars?
Ive emailed them asking if they will at least consider my app so their response will probably be the most accurate one! All i want is for them to read my PS and il be happy:smile:

Yeah good idea.

Original post by sam-dent

What?!?! So sorry to hear that. :console: They're rejecting already? This is a bit surprising. How did they tell you?
Reply 67
Original post by Medican
Yeah good idea.

What?!?! So sorry to hear that. :console: They're rejecting already? This is a bit surprising. How did they tell you?

Via UCAS, I'm devastated! I cried for 1 hour.
Reply 68

Wat? they said they would only let us know after New Years.
Reply 69
Original post by Tan Theta
Wat? they said they would only let us know after New Years.

They've ruined my Christmas.
Reply 70

ahh, sad to hear it, so they let you know by track or myApplication? and wat were your ukcat and grades for AS and GCSE?
Reply 71

ahh, sad to hear it, so they let you know by track or myApplication? and wat were your ukcat and grades for AS and GCSE?

This. :redface:
Reply 72

Sam- dent i really am sorry to hear that! I know you probably dont wanna hear it but if it makes you feel any better you have got 3 other choices! so keep positive and im sure somewhere will work out!
What were your GCSE/AS Grades/UKCAT like?
goshh il prob be rejected too:o:(

Chin up buddy. When one door closes, another opens. Remember, you only need one offer.
Reply 74
Hey! ive applied for this with predicted grades ACC.. is that enough to be considered for interview? The minimum entry requirement is BBC ..:confused:

Sorry for the late reply... you may have just got through with ur predicted grades.

I hear some have started being rejected? the only reason i would image that has happened is because the minimum requirements were not met. I had the same issue with Bristol med school (5 year) in which i missed one requirement which i overlooked. In all honesty, i really think this whole requirement stuff needs to be looked at again! If someone doesn't meet the requirements, then they shouldn't be allowed to apply... its leaves the applicant with one less chance of getting into a uni or course of their choice.

Happy Holidays everyone :smile:
Reply 75
I applied
GCSEs 3 A*s 5 As and 3 Bs
AS: AAABB
PREDICTED: A*AA (i was expecting to be predicted a B in chemistry but my teachers changed their minds last minute)
UKCAT: 660
mainly because of my gcses and AS grades
I hope i stand a chance :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Lizziginne
I applied
GCSEs 3 A*s 5 As and 3 Bs
AS: AAABB
PREDICTED: A*AA (i was expecting to be predicted a B in chemistry but my teachers changed their minds last minute)
UKCAT: 660
mainly because of my gcses and AS grades
I hope i stand a chance :smile:

Welcome, never mind the idiots hating, that's all they can do.
AS grades are not really relevant and GCSEs are fine since it's not the standard 5 year course. As long as your school is in London and falls within the targeted group you should be fine.
Reply 77
Original post by Mobs25
Sorry for the late reply... you may have just got through with ur predicted grades.

I hear some have started being rejected? the only reason i would image that has happened is because the minimum requirements were not met. I had the same issue with Bristol med school (5 year) in which i missed one requirement which i overlooked. In all honesty, i really think this whole requirement stuff needs to be looked at again! If someone doesn't meet the requirements, then they shouldn't be allowed to apply... its leaves the applicant with one less chance of getting into a uni or course of their choice.

Happy Holidays everyone :smile:

Hey Mobs25, last year I can remember the interview dates clearly stated in their webpage. Do you have any idea when they will be interviewing this year? :smile:
Reply 78
Once your selected for interviews, are the offers only based on interviews? or do gcse/a levels/ ukcat still matter in whether you get an offer along with your interview?
Reply 79
Once your selected for interviews, are the offers only based on interviews? or do gcse/a levels/ ukcat still matter in whether you get an offer along with your interview?

I had interview last year and according to them, they will judge you solely on your interview performance to hand out offers.

This is a bit from my feedback letter I received after post- interview rejection:

Applicants are scored at interview and those with the highest scores receive offers. With the present level of competition for places, applicants who are exceptionally strong in all areas receive the highest scores.

Hopefully that should clear up everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest