The Student Room Group

How do you deal with (over-)crowded gym?

i find that gyms can get very crowded (up to the point where everything is in use and there are people waiting for things to become free) between about 4pm and closing time and also during the lunch hour (12pm-2pm). for me i couldnt do heavy exercise very early in the morning (i have tried it before and it makes me feel awful). i dont work full time yet so i can go whenever i get a free hour during the day but i know most people dont have this luxury and are forced to go in the evening.

how do you deal with a crowded gym? i think many people are put off by crowded gyms esp. in the weights areas and so they dont go. i certainly know several guys who are put off by big groups of guys hogging all the benches for 45+ minutes and cancelled their gym membership as a result (they are busy with classes during the day so cant go then).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just tend to stay on the machine I'm on and constantly scan around looking for the next free machine and as soon as one is free I run for it! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Movember
i find that gyms can get very crowded (up to the point where everything is in use and there are people waiting for things to become free) between about 4pm and closing time and also during the lunch hour (12pm-2pm). for me i couldnt do heavy exercise very early in the morning (i have tried it before and it makes me feel awful). i dont work full time yet so i can go whenever i get a free hour during the day but i know most people dont have this luxury and are forced to go in the evening.

how do you deal with a crowded gym? i think many people are put off by crowded gyms esp. in the weights areas and so they dont go. i certainly know several guys who are put off by big groups of guys hogging all the benches for 45+ minutes and cancelled their gym membership as a result (they are busy with classes during the day so cant go then).

Typically I train when it's not busy (I work evenings so train at lunchtime). But if I have to train at peak hours due to different shifts it's only an issue with the flat bench. If flat bench is taken up by someone who's not at a similar strength level to me, I just **** it off and use DBs instead.

If I want to press and rack's taken up, I just clean it. If I want to squat I'll ask to work in or just wait.
I try to avoid peak times, usually go before 4pm or at weekends. You could try going on Sat/Sun as two of your days as these are typically less busy for obvious reasons.

If you can try going during the morning after 8am even if you find it hard to train then...it's better than waiting around for a bench/rack, just get up earlier or take a PWO, that should help with the early morning.
Just have to talk to more people. A slight downer but sometimes they're nice, so whatever.
Reply 5
Original post by Soph1990
I just tend to stay on the machine I'm on and constantly scan around looking for the next free machine and as soon as one is free I run for it! :smile:

Imagine of everyone did that :lol:
Reply 6
I avoid peak times.
Reply 7
Go at the end of the year. Most people tend to slack with their New years fitness plan by then and don't show up.
Reply 8
Original post by sexbo
Go at the end of the year. Most people tend to slack with their New years fitness plan by then and don't show up.

So, just wait 9 months for the gym to be less crowded.

What a clever strategy.
Original post by zjs
So, just wait 9 months for the gym to be less crowded.

What a clever strategy.

Beat me to it.

Another option would be cancelling your membership and making your own home gym, that is if you have the money/space.
Stretch! Go to the gym mats and just stretch for a while.
Do some star-jumps until their free.
Start using other people waiting as weights? It's what I do......it isn't. I just tend to go to the gym at less busy times (when I do go at all).
Reply 14
Intimidation
Reply 15
I cry and then run off....
but seriously, if theres a group of you, and you said canceled memberships, possibly buy a decent bench between you guys with dumbells as well etc. (thats if you know them well enough etc) Can sometimes be better then standing around not doing much if you always have to wait. Can do almost all (if not all) muscles groups with free weights. Cardio, nothing beats jogging outside... unless its pissing down.... Just a suggestion, defo don't have to take it at all.

But for over crowded stuff, just be confident and use machines that are free until one you want is available then go use it straight away, don't hover.
Reply 16
Go to a gym that isn't popular. Simples. I did this. I also go on off-peak times and I only rarely have to wait for anything. There has to be a gym in your area what noone knows about lol
Reply 17
Go at 8am

Seriously, most people in the gym are there for show and only the hardcore dedicated go at this time, same 15 people for 6 months at my current gym. They won't bother you at all, it's perfect.

It's in the evening when all the cardio bunnies arrive and the machines get used up.
Reply 18
I don't do mornings either so I am to go at 2 or 3. Even if I finished classes at 1 I'll hang around wasting time for an hour before I go. Busy gyms annoy me too much for me to bother try to put up with it. It was all right when I was doing a program that was more along the lines of '2 back exercises' rather than specific exercises but now I do specific things, I can't change the order that much so busy gym would make me take ages.
Reply 19
Go to bed earlier, and go in the morning.

Quick Reply

Latest