The Student Room Group

Getting an A with a terrible empa grade

Hey guys, i was wondering if it was even remotely possible to still get an overall A at AS level in physics if you totally failed the EMPA.
I'm sure I got a D or E grade :frown: and I really need an A overall, even if it is borderline, so is it possible if i get extremely high in my unit 1 and 2s?
thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Pinkhead
Hey guys, i was wondering if it was even remotely possible to still get an overall A at AS level in physics if you totally failed the EMPA.
I'm sure I got a D or E grade :frown: and I really need an A overall, even if it is borderline, so is it possible if i get extremely high in my unit 1 and 2s?
thanks in advance!

Hey, Yes it is possible! Assuming your EMPA is worth 60 ums marks, for your minimum, an E is 24 ums. You'd need 216 ums in unit 1 and 2 combined to get 240 ums overall for an A, which works out to be about 90% of the ums available in each unit. Technically, you could get an A without doing the EMPA at all but you'd have to get 100% ums in both exams! Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Ok, phew, thanks for that :smile:
I guess i'm going to have to do some serious revision then :tongue:
Reply 3
Don't worry, i am sure there are stacks of people in the same boat. Don't let it knock you.
I had pretty much the same experience. and now i feel as if i need to prove myself. Good luck!
Reply 4
Well at AS last year i got a D in my empa and still managed to get an A overall in physics overall (cus i got 106 UMS in both written UMS). But now im screwed because we had our A2 empa and even though i worked towards it im pretty sure i didnt do well. Plus i need an A* in physics to get into my uni so...now im fu**ed. But enough about my life story good luck for your EMPA
Reply 5
your Uni will probably still take you if you have an A and not an A*

hope it goes well :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by vVShabbaVv
your Uni will probably still take you if you have an A and not an A*

hope it goes well :smile:

Hey thanks :smile:. Nah im pretty sure ill get rejected if i dont get the grades. I say that because its imperial college mechanical engineering and its probably their most popular course (I say this with no intention to brag so please dont judge me ahah). They ask for A*A*A but meh i wouldnt go crazy if i dont get in lol.
^^^^^ :rofl: What?
Reply 8
Original post by Alexandra's Box
^^^^^ :rofl: What?

You heard me :P

Quick Reply

Latest