The Student Room Group

Splashing pedestrians?

Has anyone done this and don't lie :tongue:

I'm only creating this thread since this nearly happened to me whilst i was eating my chips during my lunch break. Some young lads in a van (who collect scrap metal) made the effort of changing lanes just to drive through a puddle on the edge of the road to try splash me and my lovely chips covered in burger sauce. Lucky i was walking faster than i usually was.

Scroll to see replies

Is the woman in the car... laughing? :no:
I would not be happy if this happened to me :unimpressed:
Reply 3
That car wouldn't be in one piece if that happened to me
When this happens to me I laugh so they don't get the satisfaction of seeing me annoyed. I think I'm slightly immune though considering the walk down the lane to school was always full of massive puddles and with a teeny tiny pavement. I often turned up to class with the appearance of a drowned rat.
Reply 5
It's illegal.

Under section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to perform a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness which causes inconvenience to other road users.

In other words, driving without due care and attention.

The Crown Prosecution Service specifically include: "driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed" in its description of this section of the act.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by marcusfox
It's illegal.

Under section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to perform a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness which causes inconvenience to other road users.

The Crown Prosecution Service specifically include: "driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed" in its description of this section of the act.

I love it when someone who knows the law comes into a thread :sexface:

We just love to spoil the fun :sexface:
It's illegal.

Gosh dammit! I could have totally sued.
:tongue:
Reply 8
As a pedestrian, when I see a huge puddle and a car approaching i will walk into the road and around the puddle.
Thus the car is forced to slow, as by law it should do anyway.
I have never done this to a pedestrian, the other day i drove through a puddle which made a a big splash so if someone was there they would have gotten wet but usually if i see someone on the pavement and a puddle I slow down and go round the puddle as much as I can (depending on the width of the puddle and the road of course.) Used to make me so angry would people would do it deliberately to get me wet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
When I was 17 I once drove through a puddle and soaked my distributor. Car cut out instantly.
These days I go around them. The walk home for some WD40 and kitchen roll wasn't fun!
Reply 11
I've done it before but not on purpose...

And it has happened to me but nothing major like the pik in the OP
Reply 12
i avoid going near these puddles as a pedestrian for this reason. too many people are sadistic.
It's illegal.

And, if done deliberately, would constitute an assault. The driver of the pictured car in the OP wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Happened to me as a pedestrian before :angry: I just picked up the nearest thing to me & proceeded to launch it towards the car. An eye for an eye I suppose :yy:
never have (to my knowledge) :O

partly because it is not nice.........but mostly because i donot want to make my car's shiny disc brakes go rusty ;_;
Reply 16
It happened to me. The guy did it on purpose, too. Soaked from head to toe. *******
Reply 17
When I was about 12 me and my friends purposely stood by a puddle willing people to drive over it to get us wet. This was in the morning before school and it was so fun, but we forgot about the part where we'd be wet all day. Sounds so stupid now
Look at that bitch, and they're in an audi, shocking.

I try not to splash people but if I can't avoid the puddle then they should be walking as far over on the pavement as possible.
Say that you accidentally drench someone whilst going over a puddle, would you stop and say sorry or go on?

Quick Reply