The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

hello everyone

i have made an application through UCAS to study a degree at my local college, 3years full time.

i`m 35 years old, and i have been offered a place on all three of my course choices, Law, Law and Accountancy and Accountancy.

I have not decided which course to take yet, as i enjoy all these subjects, but i suppose my main question is, am i likely to succeed in forging a career based on achieving a degree in one of these subjects or am i just to old?

I used to own my own company, which is what has sparked my interest in this subject field, so ifeel i am going to enjoy studying the subjects. The thing is i would like to maybe forge a career in this area after i have graduated.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

bye for now!!
Hi! I am 20, and I will be applying to universities again this autumn. I messed up with my applications again, so I will go with second gap year as an Au pair next and then apply to uni again.
It was so nice to find this forum since I already feel old beginning my studies at 21.
Hi:smile:,21 isn't old-I'm 30,and finally going back to study after several failed attempts, and looking after my son.I was working in accounts and hated it,but have wanted to study nursing since the year dot.I applied a couple of times,but the course was always full,so after being made redundant in January,I am finally able to restudy this September,yay!I am doing a distance Access course in Mental Health Nursing,so I can work around it,and I can't wait!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 703
Hi guys!

As I've almost finished my undergrad degree (Reading uni) and I'm an OLD student (31) I'm the perfect person to ask any questions! :biggrin:
Reply 704
Hi I'm 38 and have just firmed my unconditional at Dundee for Primary Education.... slightly worried about the whole age thing because when I attended the interview out of approx 40 people I was the only one over the age of 20. :eek:

However, I am very excited about starting a new chapter in my life :biggrin:
Reply 705
Hello..i'm 22 but I will be 26 when I start uni :frown: I wish I could start uni this year but I have to go through 3 years of college (doing a subject I hate) Anyway when I eventually make it to uni, I'll (hopefully) be studying product design at Birmingham City, Stafford or Wolverhampton university.
Reply 706
Starting event management this year just after turning 26!

Why not eh?!
Reply 707
Original post by Shug1
Hi I'm 38 and have just firmed my unconditional at Dundee for Primary Education.... slightly worried about the whole age thing because when I attended the interview out of approx 40 people I was the only one over the age of 20. :eek:

Hi, nice to see someone in a similar position to me. I'm 31 and starting a Primary Education degree at Durham in October. Really looking forward to the degree but I had the same experience at the interviews :eek: Just hoping I'm not the only 'oldie' on the course :smile:
Original post by Shug1

Wells hats the thing you see, a new chapter!
Hi, I'm Laura, I'm 21 and have a little boy that's 16 months. I'm in my second and final year at AUCB (Bournemouth Arts) Studying Commercial Photography, I can't wait to finish haha.
Reply 710
Hello,
my name is Daniela, I am 29 years old and I have two kids. I am starting the Access to HE in September 2012 :smile:
Reply 711
Original post by DaniD
Hello,
my name is Daniela, I am 29 years old and I have two kids. I am starting the Access to HE in September 2012 :smile:

I've just come to the end of my 2yr pt access and have loved every minute of it...defo one of the best things i've ever done, can't wait to go to uni in Sept.......enjoy!!:smile::smile:
I thought it was about time I introduced myself. At 51, I guess I am one of the more senior of the mature students on here, although I'm encouraged to see one or two others in their fifties!

I have been a journalist all my working life, but was made redundant two or three months ago. Photography's been a passion for a few years and I'm keen to polish my skills by taking an HND and maybe use them to forge a new career or combine them with the writing and editing.

I love learning, having taken several courses with the Open University and also studied a philosophy AS-level at night school, so I'm really looking forward to this course. Whether it opens new career doors or not, I'm sure it will be a great experience.
Reply 713
Original post by clairemc
Hi, nice to see someone in a similar position to me. I'm 31 and starting a Primary Education degree at Durham in October. Really looking forward to the degree but I had the same experience at the interviews :eek: Just hoping I'm not the only 'oldie' on the course :smile:

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I too am starting the BA in primary ed at Durham in October, and as I'm 39 you are a youngie to me!! ;-) x
Reply 714
Original post by Jjsr2004
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I too am starting the BA in primary ed at Durham in October, and as I'm 39 you are a youngie to me!! ;-) x

Oh, I am so pleased to meet someone else in the same position as me :smile:. You must live locally then do you? Is your offer unconditional? :biggrin:
Reply 715
Oh, I am so pleased to meet someone else in the same position as me :smile:. You must live locally then do you? Is your offer unconditional? :biggrin:

Hi,
Yes I'm in Darlington so not far at all?? What about you?
My offer is conditional on me actually getting my Maths gcse!! I'm pretty confident tho. Is yours unconditional?

Are you excited, nervous- both??? :wink:. I am.... Worried about the amount of work we're going to have, but can't wait to get started....

Do you have family??

Jx:colondollar:
Reply 716
Hi,
Yes I'm in Darlington so not far at all?? What about you?
My offer is conditional on me actually getting my Maths gcse!! I'm pretty confident tho. Is yours unconditional?

Are you excited, nervous- both??? :wink:. I am.... Worried about the amount of work we're going to have, but can't wait to get started....

Do you have family??

Jx:colondollar:

Hi J, I'm from Redcar, so a little further out I think but not too bad. Yes my offer is unconditional. I have the relevant GCSE's altho they are 15 yrs old so could probably do with brushing up. I have a young family so my main worry is juggling everything. I have worked since having the kids but more recently I've been used to being just mum :redface:. What about you?
Reply 717
Hi J, I'm from Redcar, so a little further out I think but not too bad. Yes my offer is unconditional. I have the relevant GCSE's altho they are 15 yrs old so could probably do with brushing up. I have a young family so my main worry is juggling everything. I have worked since having the kids but more recently I've been used to being just mum :redface:. What about you?

Yes, I have an almost 8 year old, and an almost 3 year old, so probably in the same boat! I'm worried about the juggling it all bit too!! And a little worried about the academia side too- worried I'll keep up with it all!!

I qualified as a general nurse in 1994, so that qualification gets me entry luckily. I left nursing in 1997 to become a medical rep which I left in 2006 to move to Spain and be a full time mum. Came home in 2008 and have been full time mummy since really.

Time for me now tho, and I always wanted to do teaching, so although I know it going to be hard work, its really, really what I want to do!!

Great to talk to someone before October tho- what college are you in again??
Jx
Reply 718
Yes, I have an almost 8 year old, and an almost 3 year old, so probably in the same boat! I'm worried about the juggling it all bit too!! And a little worried about the academia side too- worried I'll keep up with it all!!

I qualified as a general nurse in 1994, so that qualification gets me entry luckily. I left nursing in 1997 to become a medical rep which I left in 2006 to move to Spain and be a full time mum. Came home in 2008 and have been full time mummy since really.

Time for me now tho, and I always wanted to do teaching, so although I know it going to be hard work, its really, really what I want to do!!

Great to talk to someone before October tho- what college are you in again??
Jx

I have a 6 year old and a 4 and half year old, so yes in a very similar boat. And reading your post I have exactly the same worries lol. I went into a career in law following A levels, but finished my law exams around 7-8 years ago! I've done no exams since then and been a full time mum for around 18 months. Teaching is something I wish I had done so much sooner, but at long last I'm getting there. I've been allocated John Snow College, what about you? :wink:
Reply 719
I have a 6 year old and a 4 and half year old, so yes in a very similar boat. And reading your post I have exactly the same worries lol. I went into a career in law following A levels, but finished my law exams around 7-8 years ago! I've done no exams since then and been a full time mum for around 18 months. Teaching is something I wish I had done so much sooner, but at long last I'm getting there. I've been allocated John Snow College, what about you? :wink:

John snow too!!:smile:

That makes me feel so much better!!!

I'm sure after studying law, the academic side will be a walk in the park for you:wink:

I'm sure we won't get our timetables until we start but I understand it's a full on course and is tough going.

I can't wait to get started though, and also wish I'd done it straight from college!

Never mind- our life experience can only be a positive thing,mane I'm sure there will be lots more in the same boat as us.....

Jx

Quick Reply

Latest