The Student Room Group

Do charity shops really have vintage clothes?

I have always looked in charity shop for vintage clothes, but never found anything. So I have come to wonder whether they acctually sell vintage clothes, or is that simply a media myth??

Very rarely, I work in Cancer Research and have found the occasional piece but I don't know when or if at all it makes it downstairs once I've sized and tagged it. You might find that sometimes they don't have vintage clothes downstairs but they may be in storage somewhere instead.

Have you tried asking the managers?
Reply 2
Rarely, I have seen a couple things, but not anything I would personally wear.

There is an Oxfam Originals in Manchester, and that unfortunately looks to be the only one, ebay is pretty good for vintage clothes though.
Reply 3
Near where I live there are quite a few where you can find some nice vintage things. But you have to go in quite a lot - but I work in the city centre so I can pop in often. There are also a lot of vintage shops but they tend to be quite expensive

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
I guess they're vintage by default! Whether they are any good is usually a firm NO! :')
Reply 5
I got a really nice jumper from Oxfam once, but that was a total fluke. It's definitely a myth normally. There is vintage that people want to buy and then there is Aunt Agnes who died last week and wore the same coat everyday for their last 30 years of her century-long life and we don't want this coat any more than you do, we can't even sell it, so we're giving it to Oxfam.
Reply 6
i dont think so, i volunteered at Oxfam for a couple months and most of the clothes we got were just like clothes people had grown out of or didnt like anymore, however, we did also get a lot of clothes from really old people, so i guess that counts as vintage? :s-smilie: your best bet for vintage clothes are ACTUAL vintage stores, if you live in london, then Brick lane is the place you wanna

im always a bit weary of charity shop clothes though! and that's purely because i dont know where the clothes originated and who's worn them! lol they usually have nice jewelry though
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes you can, but it's far and few between.

Theres actaully an excellent charity shop here (not saying which one or where) where there seems to be one person donating the most amazing vintage designer and they sell it for pennies!!! I've got so much of my wardrobe from there, only problem is that it's a size 12 so everything I get I have to take in a bit.
But excellent non-the-less.
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Yes you can, but it's far and few between.

Theres actaully an excellent charity shop here (not saying which one or where) where there seems to be one person donating the most amazing vintage designer and they sell it for pennies!!! I've got so much of my wardrobe from there, only problem is that it's a size 12 so everything I get I have to take in a bit.
But excellent non-the-less.

:lolwut:
Reply 9
My mum found me a Vivi Boutique dress in a charity shop the other day for £8 :biggrin: I think someone had donated it because it says large but it's actually an extra small or small.

Quick Reply

Latest