The Student Room Group

MPs want to make ''obese/fatty'' a hate crime

So instead of better educating kids in school and following trends and practices in countries like Sweden which have extremely low levels of obesity, we should be accepting people for ''how they are''. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.financialpost.com/todays-paper/British+want+obese+hate+crime/6698986/story.html

Following murrika once again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They should make complaining about being fat and not doing anything about it a crime. If you hate being fat but stuff your face with chocolate everyday, then stop it, get off your arse and do some work. Bullying is wrong no matter the 'reason' for it, as is discrimination on the grounds of anything that doesn't directly impact the activity in question. Making the word fatty or obese a crime? well, obese is a medical term so that's ridiculous, but if we start banning all words then eventually people will think it's okay to be fat, which, biologically, physically and health-wise IT IS NOT.
Reply 2
fat people disgust me with their sense of entitlement. I'm sorry but i would say that less than 1% of fatties are fat due to a 'medical/mental condition'. They are just greedy fat pigs. And they are a drain on the NHS when their overloaded tickers get all BurgerKinged out. They are quite jolly though.
Reply 3
Definitely should not be a hate crime. May aswell make "skinny" and "slim" words of the same level.
Reply 4
Would it still be OK to walk around saying 'looking good' to all the slim people while starting pointedly at the fatty? :colone:

No but seriously, this is stupid. How is it a hate crime? While bullying is never good, but being fat is a lifestyle choice.
Reply 5
I find it pretty absurd that its being put on same level legally as racism.
Reply 6
Original post by Muscovite
fat people disgust me with their sense of entitlement. I'm sorry but i would say that less than 1% of fatties are fat due to a 'medical/mental condition'. They are just greedy fat pigs. And they are a drain on the NHS when their overloaded tickers get all BurgerKinged out. They are quite jolly though.

Oh dear. Took it a bit far there. Someone wishes he could have a Burger King... :tongue:
Reply 7
Eric Pickles behind this one?
Shocking. I think it would be wrong for people above a certain weight (clinically obese here) to be considered as 'normal' due to people being scared to state otherwise. If they are perceived normal then this could end badly, it wouldn't be addressing the rise in obesity in the slightest, and could even go on to encourage people not to diet or do anything about their weight probelm, simply coz it wouldn't be seen as a 'problem' by society any more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9

No, don't hold back, say what you really think...
Reply 10
Why should it be a hate crime when it can easily be changed/prevented? It's like saying criticizing alcoholics should considered be a hate crime.

It's just going to encourage the population to become even more obese, but if that does happen at least the silver lining would be lower life expectancy.
(edited 11 years ago)
And I was under the impression that the word "obese" is a medical term...
Reply 12

to be fair though they have no choice about it, if theyre mean to people theyll get ripped to **** for it :tongue:
Reply 13
Would this make refusing to date/dance with/kiss/sleep with someone because they're fat criminal? 'Cause in some of those cases I'd rather face jail.
I don't know why fat people complain about it as if it's something that can't be changed. Don't eat so much and do a good amount of exercise, you will lose weight. When will we stop telling people that it's okay to be fat because "it's just the way they are"?
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's pretty ridiculous to be honest, fair enough being called fat is no fun for anyone, but being called too skinny/no figure is equally as hurtful and I don't see any plans from them to make that a crime. And whilst they're at it they might as well make every insult a hate crime, like calling someone 'mean' or 'horrible'. I think it's just taking it a step too far, people will always make hurtful comments to get at someone and get a kick out of making them feel bad, but we can't really stop it, it'll always happen. We ourselves can just try our best to be good people :-)
It's like smoking: yes you can do it, but we won't put up with it, and it should certainly NOT be encouraged. Making calling people fat a hate crime would imply being fat is ok.

It is NOT OK. Smoking is not ok either. Not caring about the health of one's country is not ok. Wasting precious money while in debt and recession is not ok.

You can't help being black, gay, disabled or old. You most likely CAN help being fat.

P.S.: This is indeed extremist, but I will say it anyway: Supermarkets such as Sainsbury's should ban a lot of the junk food they sell as "normal" - the fat and sugar ridden crappy ****e.
Reply 18
Bull. But i do think those obese parents that also allow their children to be obese should be held accountable in some way. Other than that, if you're fat, it's your fault.
Reply 19
Original post by M1011
Would it still be OK to walk around saying 'looking good' to all the slim people while starting pointedly at the fatty? :colone:

No but seriously, this is stupid. How is it a hate crime? While bullying is never good, but being fat is a lifestyle choice.

This, firstly because the image in my head created by your first comment made me chuckle out loud in an empty room.

But also because you're right, 9 times out of 10 being fat is a lifestyle choice. Alright we all know there are a few random exceptions where obesity is caused by a medical condition, but the rest of the time people tend to eat what they want and do no exercise, and then complain when they don't look like a model.

And I'm absolutely fine with that as long as those people recognise the consequences of being overweight. I know a few fat people who just say 'Yeah, I'm fat. I like eating whatever I want and frankly can't be arsed to exercise' - absolutely fine.

But anyway, 'obese' is a medical term. It would be impractical to say the least to criminalise the use of a legitimate scientific word, or its alternatives. I could call you obese and say I was merely speculating as to your medical health.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending