The Student Room Group

AAT-ACCA vs University Degree: Accounting

Hi, I was looking at options for becoming an accountant and found that instead of a university degree you can become a chartered accountant (i think) through the AAT ACCA fast track but I was just wondering if taking this route can inhibit career choices or if employers have a lower rating of non-uni qualifications.

Please can someone help me with this? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Chartered certified accountant via CAT-ACCA route

Chartered accountant via AAT-ACA route

are the choices

Only do it if you are sure you want to be an accountant and don't want to experience the social side of university etc.

It will save you taking out student loans etc.

The jury is out on whether it will hold you back in the future

Once you are fully qualified a lot of it depends on your experience

But some firms still prefer graduates
Reply 2
If you want to become a CA/ACA/ACCA then the AAT as a good route. The AAT course will give you exemptions from TPC exams (could not tell you how many though, and that's fro scottish CA qualification) and the best thing about it is, you'll get the much sought after work experience. Tbh, if you are 100% sure that you want to be an accountant, I would recommend the AAT route. You are not guaranteed a CA/ACCA job after it, but at least you will have experience, which is invaluable today. But again, it depends on other things. it may that in a few years' time you may want to change and become a teacher/Phd, which requires a masters' degree, but nowadays you can get masters degrees from institutions such Lsbf which offer Masters if you sign up for ACCA papers etc . However, Uni does provide a very good theoretical grounding in the subject, and if you go to an ICAS/ICAEW accredited uni, you will get exemptions from their TPC exams; all you would do then is complete four exams, i believe, and a final TPE exam with your 3 years training with a sponsored firm and you're qualfied. Tbh, employers value A-levels/highers more than degree classifications for these things; It is a good reflection of whether you are capable enough of passing CA/ACCA exams than the degree. So if you have good A-levels and you are certain you want to do accounting, do the AAT route. I have done acc and fin undergrad and post grad. If i had to do it again, I would have done AAT. I'm rambling, but I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending