The Student Room Group

Being a Special Constable while at uni

Is there anyone out there who was/is a Special while they were studying? I'd quite like to do it but I'm not sure if they'd be happy taking on a university student.
Reply 1
I haven't done it, but I know there definitely are people who have done it while they were at university. I wanted to do it but because I applied to my home town's force - it's only 90 mins from my uni, but because I was registered as living at uni at the time they couldn't accept me because you had to be living in that county.

One thing to bear in mind is that obviously the training takes quite a long time, and it can also take a while to get a start date afterwards too (depending on where you are - some forces will take longer than others depending on when they're recruiting for Specials).

Some forces will accept transfers from other forces too - so if you're moving back home after university (if that applies to your situation!) it's worth having a look into that too, because not all forces do accept transfers - some say that you can transfer with just some extra training, but with some forces it may be a longer process.

But definitely have a look into it, they shouldn't have a problem so long as you can commit to the 16 hours per month. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Liv1204
I haven't done it, but I know there definitely are people who have done it while they were at university. I wanted to do it but because I applied to my home town's force - it's only 90 mins from my uni, but because I was registered as living at uni at the time they couldn't accept me because you had to be living in that county.

One thing to bear in mind is that obviously the training takes quite a long time, and it can also take a while to get a start date afterwards too (depending on where you are - some forces will take longer than others depending on when they're recruiting for Specials).

Some forces will accept transfers from other forces too - so if you're moving back home after university (if that applies to your situation!) it's worth having a look into that too, because not all forces do accept transfers - some say that you can transfer with just some extra training, but with some forces it may be a longer process.

But definitely have a look into it, they shouldn't have a problem so long as you can commit to the 16 hours per month. :smile:

I'll give Warwickshire Police an email and see what they say. The 16 hours shouldn't be a problem at all. Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 3
paulmch,

Glad to see another student keen to join the Specials! I have just reached the end of the recruitment process and should be starting training in January. I am a university student and the force I am joining has had no problem with me being a student. In addition, I know a load of other students who are Specials and am not aware of any forces having a problem with this, provided you can commit the 16 hours a month, I think it is unlikely that they will have an issue.

I will just provide you with a warning in relation to the recruitment process: it usually takes an incredibly long time. I 'registered my interest' with the force in February this year and in theory should be out on patrol by the end of April so it does take a while. Having said that, it will depend on your force, some are particularly quick, for example it is rumoured Hampshire can normally get you from application to training in only four months. Training at my force is eight alternate weekends, so 16 weeks from start to finish.

It might be useful to know that the NPIA are in the process of rolling out a national standardised procedure for Specials recruitment which will mean its a more 'streamlined' process but forces have been quite slow to pick up on this so it is quite force dependant. Unfortunately I don't know any officers with Warwickshire but its probably worth trying to find a Special with that force and then you can have all of your questions accurately answered :smile:

Hope it all goes well, keep us posted!
Reply 4
Original post by TheOldBill0
paulmch,

Glad to see another student keen to join the Specials! I have just reached the end of the recruitment process and should be starting training in January. I am a university student and the force I am joining has had no problem with me being a student. In addition, I know a load of other students who are Specials and am not aware of any forces having a problem with this, provided you can commit the 16 hours a month, I think it is unlikely that they will have an issue.

I will just provide you with a warning in relation to the recruitment process: it usually takes an incredibly long time. I 'registered my interest' with the force in February this year and in theory should be out on patrol by the end of April so it does take a while. Having said that, it will depend on your force, some are particularly quick, for example it is rumoured Hampshire can normally get you from application to training in only four months. Training at my force is eight alternate weekends, so 16 weeks from start to finish.

It might be useful to know that the NPIA are in the process of rolling out a national standardised procedure for Specials recruitment which will mean its a more 'streamlined' process but forces have been quite slow to pick up on this so it is quite force dependant. Unfortunately I don't know any officers with Warwickshire but its probably worth trying to find a Special with that force and then you can have all of your questions accurately answered :smile:

Hope it all goes well, keep us posted!

Are you an A&S officer by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending