The Student Room Group

Libraries in London!

I live in east London, is there any good libraries to study until late and that are in a good area. Basically.. a good environment to study in.

I know there's libraries in my borough however, I would like a nicer one abit further. Does anyone know any?

Not uni libraries OR membembership ones. Since I won't be allowed there or its to much hassle.

Thanks in advance.

I didnt know where to put this. So mods you may have to move it.

Scroll to see replies

Not sure how close it is to you, but I usually study at Walthamstow library. Opens 9-7
Reply 2
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Not sure how close it is to you, but I usually study at Walthamstow library. Opens 9-7

Is it good? And its pretty near by
(edited 12 years ago)
It's good if you get there early enough. It has sockets to plug your laptop in, desks, comfortable seats, books, and it's slap bang in the middle of Central, so you've got all the shops for a lunch break
Reply 4
It's good if you get there early enough. It has sockets to plug your laptop in, desks, comfortable seats, books, and it's slap bang in the middle of Central, so you've got all the shops for a lunch break

Ahh ok.. what about the atmosphere inside.. I can't stand screaming kids constantly
Are we allowed to eat in the library?
Does it get really packed?
There's a children's section; they stay there. Whenever I've studied it's been close enough to silent.
I've never seen anyone get pulled up for eating.

It doesn't get super-packed. You could probably find a seat at any time of the day, but the decks with the plug sockets are a bit more elusive, and you'd have to get there before about 10.30.
Reply 6
There's a children's section; they stay there. Whenever I've studied it's been close enough to silent.

It doesn't get super-packed. You could probably find a seat at any time of the day, but the decks with the plug sockets are a bit more elusive, and you'd have to get there before about 10.30.

Ahh ok thank you :smile: I'll have to check it out.
I went to the Barbican library for the first time last week, and I really liked it there :smile:. It was super quiet, so ideal if you're trying to get work done :yep:. It's massive, has so much stuff, and it's also inside a big centre where some other stuff goes on too :yep:
Reply 8
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I went to the Barbican library for the first time last week, and I really liked it there :smile:. It was super quiet, so ideal if you're trying to get work done :yep:. It's massive, has so much stuff, and it's also inside a big centre where some other stuff goes on too :yep:

Where is that? I don't need membership or anything do I?
Original post by .Missy
Where is that? I don't need membership or anything do I?

It's in the East of Central London, and no you don't need membership to enter. Click the link I'd provided or just Google it and you will get the info you need.
im not an expert on london libraries but maybe the british library ? and im not sure but i remember hearing something about senate house having a good library but they might be to far away :rolleyes:
Uni libraries usually let you in if you sign a vistor pass. You won't have internet access or issuing rights though

Thanks for that. I've been looking for somewhere decent near my office! Closing times are a bit on the early side though :frown:
Original post by Tokyoround
Thanks for that. I've been looking for somewhere decent near my office! Closing times are a bit on the early side though :frown:

No problem, glad I helped :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by calumsteele1
im not an expert on london libraries but maybe the british library ? and im not sure but i remember hearing something about senate house having a good library but they might be to far away :rolleyes:

It's in the East of Central London, and no you don't need membership to enter. Click the link I'd provided or just Google it and you will get the info you need.

Thanks guys for the suggestions :smile: Have any of u been to the sheperds bush library?. Apparently, they invested alot into and its meant to be good
Wrong side of London for me, nope.
Reply 16
LSE Library
Original post by .Missy
Thanks guys for the suggestions :smile: Have any of u been to the sheperds bush library?. Apparently, they invested alot into and its meant to be good

It's nothing special. It's fairly small, in order to use the wireless you need to be a member (and to be a member you need to live in the borough), it's usually quite busy and it was always noisy whenever I went in there. The study space is cramped and the desks are uncomfortable.
Reply 18
Original post by Revd. Mike
It's nothing special. It's fairly small, in order to use the wireless you need to be a member (and to be a member you need to live in the borough), it's usually quite busy and it was always noisy whenever I went in there. The study space is cramped and the desks are uncomfortable.

Thanks for that :smile: Guess I won't go there. I read somewhere 'It's been dubbed one of the UK's most innovative public libraries' and has a '2 million flagship' :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 19
Original post by isp
LSE Library

Don't you need to go to LSE? Or do they allow anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending