The Student Room Group

manchester or bristol uni :)

hi buddy , currently i want to choose the uni between manchester and bristol for economics. mind to share some comments or review about these two uni? especially those who are currently studying there. your comment is much appreciated!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you thinking of applying or do you already have offers? If you already have offers then Bristol is the correct choice undoubtedly!
I studied at BSc Economics at Manchester last year. I was in exactly the same boat as you 4 years ago when I was in upper 6th. I went for Manchester simply because my brother went to Bristol and I wanted somewhere different. He had a bloody amazing time at Bristol and I absolutely loved Manchester.

Whilst Bristol has a probably higher prestige, Manchester is pretty good (though the teaching can be so so... hence why Manchester is so low on the university rankings... the student satisfaction rating is horrendous at Manchester. But I found it okay.)

Anyways, prospects from both unis are good. Especially if you do the BSc at Manchester. If you are doing a BA, go to Bristol. If it is the BSc, either place is good. Basically think of it this way, the BSc at Manchester has a lot of bright kids and so its quite rigorous. There were only 70 of us, whilst there were a few hundred in the BA. Yet in the WHOLE of the social science department, 7 out of the top 15 students were from the BSc.

Most of us our doing a masters. Im going to Cambridge later this year, about 5 of my friends went to Oxford for masters last year, another one went to LSE, another one is at Warwick because the Game theory department there is great.

Then, the others are in pretty good jobs.

So it depends on the strand of economics you are doing. BA = go for Bristol. BSc = either is great.

Just my opinion.....
Reply 3
Original post by bond13
hi buddy , currently i want to choose the uni between manchester and bristol for economics. mind to share some comments or review about these two uni? especially those who are currently studying there. your comment is much appreciated!! :smile:

I imagine that at Manchester, the class size will be much, much larger than at Bristol - the intake for pure economics at Bristol is something like 60 people per year, and the university as a whole is much smaller (Manchester overall has around 40,000 students), so that might be something you should consider.
Academically, Bristol. Overall, for academics, nightlife, socially, and in terms of expense, it will be cheaper to live in Manchester. Apparently there's a shortage for student housing in Bristol, as you will also compete with Uwe students in 2nd and 3rd years, and the supply doesn't meet the demand so you end up paying high prices.

Tbh, there's not much between the two. Both well respected Red-Bricks, you'll find Mancs is 20-30 in the tables (whether they deserve that place is another matter), while Bristol verges on the edge of the top 10 usually.
Reply 5
Original post by maxalexander
I studied at BSc Economics at Manchester last year. I was in exactly the same boat as you 4 years ago when I was in upper 6th. I went for Manchester simply because my brother went to Bristol and I wanted somewhere different. He had a bloody amazing time at Bristol and I absolutely loved Manchester.

Whilst Bristol has a probably higher prestige, Manchester is pretty good (though the teaching can be so so... hence why Manchester is so low on the university rankings... the student satisfaction rating is horrendous at Manchester. But I found it okay.)

Anyways, prospects from both unis are good. Especially if you do the BSc at Manchester. If you are doing a BA, go to Bristol. If it is the BSc, either place is good. Basically think of it this way, the BSc at Manchester has a lot of bright kids and so its quite rigorous. There were only 70 of us, whilst there were a few hundred in the BA. Yet in the WHOLE of the social science department, 7 out of the top 15 students were from the BSc.

Most of us our doing a masters. Im going to Cambridge later this year, about 5 of my friends went to Oxford for masters last year, another one went to LSE, another one is at Warwick because the Game theory department there is great.

So it depends on the strand of economics you are doing. BA = go for Bristol. BSc = either is great.

Just my opinion.....

I've firmed Manchester for economics and philosophy ba.

how easy would it be if I wanted to transfer to bsc economics after first year?

thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Tateco
Are you thinking of applying or do you already have offers? If you already have offers then Bristol is the correct choice undoubtedly!

I've received offered from both.is just that I'm considering which one to go.I have sibling studying at Warwick but none of her friend recommend either to study economic. Is economic good in this two uni?
Reply 7
Original post by maxalexander

Just my opinion.....

Thanks for your opinion.is really help to me:smile: but I think I applied econs and finance for Bristol and economic for Manchester. Is it hard to get in those top uni to study master? I think ur result must be excellent right. Cuz I planned to go US for master.
Reply 8
bristol but its a lot harder to get into

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending