The Student Room Group

Job Offer - Advice needed regarding AAT!

Hi there,

I graduated in July 2011 with a 2:1 in Business Management and have been working in a sales role ever since (continuation of student job). Because of this, I am in a position to wait for the right job role vs. just taking a job because I need a job! Only recently due to personal reasons, I have been actively searching for the right role.

I have just had a job offer for a trainee accounts position however, I am unsure of whether to take it. It is for a technology company needing a new accounts and admin assistant.

I was first contacted by a recruiter about this position. He claimed it was a graduate position, offering study for the AAT. I thought this was really good and went forward for the job. It is offering £13,000.

However, since attending the interview (and subsequently getting the job offer) I have been told by my new line manager that they only fund the foundation level (which from my degree I may be exempt from) as it is all the benefits the business! I feel the recruiter may have lied about this being a graduate role as i have read that graduates do not usually do the AAT.

My ambition is to become an accountant and do the ACA or CIMA. My question is, is the job a worthwhile role seeing as they are only funding the first level of AAT? I'm wary of getting stuck in a rut. Or have I read incorrect information re: the AAT and becoming an accountant?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With a 2:1 and a minimum of 280 UCAS you meet the requirements to apply for ACA training positions at the moment, have you tried this?

AAT is a valid route to ACA but this is generally for people without a degree.

With regards to the job offer I wouldn't take it based on their claim to only need the foundation level (I assume level 2?). This claim stinks of 'no job progression', which would be the only reason for you to leave your current job!
Reply 2
Original post by starliight
Hi there,

I graduated in July 2011 with a 2:1 in Business Management and have been working in a sales role ever since (continuation of student job). Because of this, I am in a position to wait for the right job role vs. just taking a job because I need a job! Only recently due to personal reasons, I have been actively searching for the right role.

I have just had a job offer for a trainee accounts position however, I am unsure of whether to take it. It is for a technology company needing a new accounts and admin assistant.

I was first contacted by a recruiter about this position. He claimed it was a graduate position, offering study for the AAT. I thought this was really good and went forward for the job. It is offering £13,000.

However, since attending the interview (and subsequently getting the job offer) I have been told by my new line manager that they only fund the foundation level (which from my degree I may be exempt from) as it is all the benefits the business! I feel the recruiter may have lied about this being a graduate role as i have read that graduates do not usually do the AAT.

My ambition is to become an accountant and do the ACA or CIMA. My question is, is the job a worthwhile role seeing as they are only funding the first level of AAT? I'm wary of getting stuck in a rut. Or have I read incorrect information re: the AAT and becoming an accountant?

Thanks so much for any advice!

I would decline the offer and apply for grad ACA roles..... the recruiter is lying, there is no way that is a grad role. Recruiters will bull 5hit you and lie through their teeth to get there fee, they do serve a purpose though and in all fairness not all are like this, I would ask around your friends see if anyone has got any recuitment consultant contacts who can be trusted.
Reply 3
Agreed with the above posts - if you've got the ambition then it sounds like you have the qualifications and potentially the experience to apply for something above that. Most graduates go into an ACA or equivalent training contract. AAT is something you would usually do to build up to doing such a qualification as ACA.

Personally I'd be aiming higher. A lot of graduate schemes will begin opening their applications over the next few months, so I'd be focusing my efforts on researching those and thinking about what I might want to do. You have various possibilities open to you, such as the accounting firms, larger firms in their finance departments etc.

Many of these by the way are unlikely to use recruitment agencies or the like to advertise their positions, so if you are interested in them you might need to be slightly more proactive individually.
Reply 4
Thanks so much for the advice above. That is pretty much what I was thinking I just wanted someone to confirm it. Rather concerned that I am now last years batch of graduates though!
Reply 5
Thanks so much for the advice above. That is pretty much what I was thinking I just wanted someone to confirm it. Rather concerned that I am now last years batch of graduates though!

Hi, I didn't know anything about your course but by what you did say it all seemed a bit off, and confirmed by the posters who did have knowledge.

I would not look at you as been 'last years graduate', but a graduate who has a years experience after finishing uni :-)

You ok? xxx
Reply 6

That's really not an issue, it gives you advantages. More real work experience; it shows you have made a considered decision on your career as well.
Reply 7
Original post by monk_keys
That's really not an issue, it gives you advantages. More real work experience; it shows you have made a considered decision on your career as well.

Yes. I have only been working in a continuation of my student job at supervisory level but I am being extremely picky on my next career move. I would like to do accountancy but I don't just want to end up in a dead end job. Thanks for that :smile:
Reply 8
Yes. I have only been working in a continuation of my student job at supervisory level but I am being extremely picky on my next career move. I would like to do accountancy but I don't just want to end up in a dead end job. Thanks for that :smile:

Lots of people move into accountancy graduate schemes from unrelated careers, it's not all people straight out of university, you've got very useful work (and life) experience.

I'm at a big 4 accountant and we've got people in my department that used to organise conferences, work for the UN and with an engineering background, there's all sorts of backgrounds and it all contributes to a great diversity of experience and ideas.
Could just take it and apply for the Big 4 when they open in a few months so you have some relevant experience and really hit the ground running when you get a job at a Big 4 firm. Plus if you're an exemplary employee you could find yourself getting better project and more experience early on.
Reply 10
Thanks so much for all the replies. I asked an aat graduate too and she seems to think this is a school leaver position too. Especially when they seemed reluctant to go beyond level 2. I have emailed the recruiter with a very direct question on what they were actually looking for e.g. School leaver or graduate. Because I am unconvinced this is a graduate role from your replies!

Thanks so much
Reply 11
You'd be foolish to turn down a job offer. End of.
She has a job...
Reply 13
Original post by Samd603
You'd be foolish to turn down a job offer. End of.

Clearly a well thought out response...

1) It's not foolish to turn down a job which doesn't lead anywhere if you believe you have the calibre to secure a better position.

2) The OP already has a job which they would have to leave to take this position, it's not like they are unemployed.
Reply 14
That's my thinking.. I am on 13k at the moment anyway too. I have emailed all these concerns and the advice I've been given to the recruiter and I'm really curious to hear their response.
Reply 15
That's my thinking.. I am on 13k at the moment anyway too. I have emailed all these concerns and the advice I've been given to the recruiter and I'm really curious to hear their response.

You should be looking at at least £18k for training contract roles, whether it be ACA, ACCA or CIMA.

Big four varies but I know the London starting is 28000 for Deloitte.
Reply 16
Let us know what the recruiter says! I'm of the opinion that they'll say whatever needs to be said to get the role filled so I'd be interested to hear what they have to say when directly challenged like that :biggrin:

And just to add to iSMark's comment, I know that the Northern region for PwC is starting at around 20000, although the final salary for the Autumn 2012 starts hasn't been finalised yet.
Reply 17
Original post by iSMark
Big four varies but I know the London starting is 28000 for Deloitte.

Is this an estimate based on previous years or have you been told the salary for this August by someone? I'd be very interested to know if you have factual info on this :smile:

Good thinking, but to be honest regardless of what they say it's clearly a position which is suited towards school leavers. Bare in mind recruiters are there to recruit, they aren't your friend and you can be damn sure they'll bend the truth if they have a commission on the line. Take everything they say with a large pinch of salt :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by M1011
Is this an estimate based on previous years or have you been told the salary for this August by someone? I'd be very interested to know if you have factual info on this :smile:

Good thinking, but to be honest regardless of what they say it's clearly a position which is suited towards school leavers. Bare in mind recruiters are there to recruit, they aren't your friend and you can be damn sure they'll bend the truth if they have a commission on the line. Take everything they say with a large pinch of salt :redface:

Certainly taking it with a large pinch of salt!
I have just had a call from the recruiter. He says he always employs graduates in this position and also revealed that the reserve candidate has exactly the same concerns as I have!
I have asked him to find out what the "5 previous graduates" employed in this position are now doing. So he is now ringing the employer to find out.
It wouldn't surprise me if this 'reserve' candidate was fictional in an attempt to panic you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending