The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by alkantara
Hello everyone

I am a student at Lancaster University doing Beng Mechanical engineering. I want to transfer to differrent university for personal reason. I already contacted the admission offices and finisihed my UCAS application for the same course, but Year 2 entry only.

My choices are
City University
Liverpool Uni
Sheffield
Quenn Mary
Manchester

Has anyone who did transfer tell what grades do universities normally ask? What is the chance to be accepted? Could i enter clearing if nobody give an offer?

My current overall is around 67-69%

Thanks for comments

Ok, I did the same thing:biggrin:
So, I know about Liverpool 65% overall, Manchester+Sheffield 65% overall with 65% in Maths, Thermo, Fluids, and probably sth else.
I do not know about the rest, though.
City+Queen Mary are not a good choice.
Anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask me:biggrin:
Reply 601
*Forgot to mention, that I am not sure if Manchester will accept ur application, as they made me hurry up to consider my application, back in February:biggrin:
Well I studied my first year in University of Glasgow but im not happy with my subject and want to change it. so can I apply for a different subject in the same university via UCAS?
Reply 603
Original post by trustmeoff
Well I studied my first year in University of Glasgow but im not happy with my subject and want to change it. so can I apply for a different subject in the same university via UCAS?

Think so, better ask ur tutor or sbd from ur Uni:biggrin:

Don't apply through ucas yet. Talk to a tutor. In situations like yours you can probably make the transfer internally and, like my university, if you do it that way you might be eligible to pay old fees.
Original post by bownessie
Don't apply through ucas yet. Talk to a tutor. In situations like yours you can probably make the transfer internally and, like my university, if you do it that way you might be eligible to pay old fees.

Well I studied during 2011-2012 period in glasgow,now im taking this year as gap year and will apply for 2013. another thing is that I'm planning to apply for a very different subject ( from biochemistry to architecture) Do you think I still have chance when I talk to tutors instead of applying via ucas? thanks :smile:
Reply 606

Well I studied during 2011-2012 period in glasgow,now im taking this year as gap year and will apply for 2013. another thing is that I'm planning to apply for a very different subject ( from biochemistry to architecture) Do you think I still have chance when I talk to tutors instead of applying via ucas? thanks :smile:
If you've actually withdrawn from the university then yes you will have to re-apply via UCAS. What bownessie suggested is only possible if you are still on the student roll. However, a conversation with your tutor would be a good move in any case, because you'll need him/her to give you a reference.
Original post by Minerva
If you've actually withdrawn from the university then yes you will have to re-apply via UCAS. What bownessie suggested is only possible if you are still on the student roll. However, a conversation with your tutor would be a good move in any case, because you'll need him/her to give you a reference.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 608
I want to go on to study Biology, but most universities require A-level Biology or an equivalent qualification, which I do not have. If I were to read a different course, like Economics, would it be possible to transfer to Biology?
Reply 609
Original post by benom2
I want to go on to study Biology, but most universities require A-level Biology or an equivalent qualification, which I do not have. If I were to read a different course, like Economics, would it be possible to transfer to Biology?

No=/
If you want to transfer, they may ask ur pre-university qualifications and they will look for a match with ur current modules, and there is no match in Economics and Biology modules=/
Reply 610
Original post by benom2

Very probably not. A better option would be to look into taking biology, either through a night school or by self teaching and entering for the exams privately.

Ahhh... well if you are taking a gap year I am not sure tbh. You could try and do it internally and see what happens, the worst they can say is 'sorry, you need to apply through ucas like everyone else. And trust me... I switched from biology to history in my first year, universities are able to facilitate big switches. They aren't naive enough to think that everyone gets it right first time and that is why there is an extra year of funding for everyone, so if they get it wrong the first time, they have a back up.
Can I do this?

Will I get any offers?

Can the universities I apply to see I am at another university?

Do I need to drop out before I apply?
Reply 613
Original post by bestofyou
Can I do this?

Will I get any offers?

Can the universities I apply to see I am at another university?

Do I need to drop out before I apply?

Off course you can do it and u will get offers, probably, but u need to say in which Uni u r currently on in ur Ucas application:biggrin:
Original post by alexkol
Off course you can do it and u will get offers, probably, but u need to say in which Uni u r currently on in ur Ucas application:biggrin:

In my PS or in my education details?
Reply 615
In my PS or in my education details?

In your education details for sure and if you want you can talk about it in your PS, saying why you wanna transfer:wink:
Original post by alexkol
In your education details for sure and if you want you can talk about it in your PS, saying why you wanna transfer:wink:

uni of dundee isn't in the education list?
will the universities I apply to know I am alreadly enrolled at another uni if I do not drop out before applying?
Reply 618
uni of dundee isn't in the education list?

No, but you can type it in manually
Reply 619
Hello,
Asking again because nobody's answered my question. If I studied for 1 year in 2010/2011, then in 2011/2012 I suspended my studies and in 2012/2013 I'm starting new course at different university (first year entry as my new course is quite different from previous), will I be paying new, higher fees?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending