The Student Room Group

How come the large majority of Bollywood actresses can't act??

About 90% of the actresses in Bollywood can’t act. I mean Katrina Kaif is pretty, yes, but let’s face it, she can’t act to save her life. She can't even speak the language yet she's the highest paid actress and rules the box office,says it all really.Another example is Nargis Fakhri.The list is endless.

Plus , why are the Bollywood films largely male-centric films? The main focus of a Hindi film is always a male hero.How boring.Apart from Fashion , I can't think of a film where the female took a leading role or a female-centric flick.

Is Bollywood all about looks for females, since most Bollywood male actors are ugly or unconventional looking? Aren't the majority former models and miss.worlds?

Why do they always get the bimbo types who can't act??Where are the talented actresses that can actually act or that is not important as long as it's a pretty bimbo?
Reply 1
Bollywood is becomin very superficial , I'm afraid. They are going for looks before books. A beautiful actress can get into the field, and then only will her intellect and acting ability be assessed. You are right about Katrina, her performance in "Zindagi...." was abysmal and she spoke in English most of the time. The industry has evolved for the likes of slender figures and sex appeal. It is no longer about raw talent.

Back in my parents days actresses had it all....Sharmilla Taygore and Hema Malini for example were and still are gorgeous women in the industry, who can act.

This generation of bollywood actresses have no talent, but have the looks to back it up. That is what the criteria is, and they have met it. That is why they cannot take challenging roles.

I mean Katrina Kaif will never (even with all the acting classes in the world) be able to even replicat 1/100th of Ranis performance in "black"

Sad times!
Reply 2
Original post by suicidaleffect

Plus , why are the Bollywood films largely male-centric films? The main focus of a Hindi film is always a male hero.How boring.Apart from Fashion , I can't think of a film where the female took a leading role or a female-centric flick.

Because indian society is a patriarchal one. But slowly the situation is changing. Solid success of The Dirty Picture, Kahani and Vidya Balan's National award are a few indicators. Also, Kareena's Heroin is a-coming in September.
Is Bollywood all about looks for females, since most Bollywood male actors are ugly or unconventional looking? Aren't the majority former models and miss.worlds?

Aye. at the moment, that's how it is. but hopefully, it will change gradually. till then, one can still enjoy good directors like Anurag Kashyap and unconventional movies like Vicky Donor.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest