The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rumschpringe
I'm resitting year 13 and applying to Exeter.... Does anybody know how seriously they take the UKCAT score? And any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Some people here on TSR ; have said that Exeter want a high UKCAT score.
Original post by Temmystical
Sorry that I am asking too many questions. If they select the top 500-550 (they reduced it last year) UKCAT scores for interview, it means there had to be a cut - off score for last year, no?

What score do you think is good for Glasgow for a Rest of UK applicant?

Its fine, technically, no, but I do get what you're saying. I'm not sure of where the interviewing stopped though. I would say 750 would be a safe number to apply her, maybe 730+ even
Reply 4362
Heyy I made this Abstract Reasoning Revision Page if anyone is interested :smile:

Hope it helps!
Original post by Vanny17
Can someone tell me why the percentage difference is divided by the new number, considering %difference = New value - old value / old value x 100. Here is the question:

The median annual salary of males who are Oracle professionals is approximately what percent greater than that of females of the same occupation?

Males = 9054
Females = 7761

Difference = 9054- 7761 = 1293. They divided by 7761. Isn't the difference supposed to be divided by 9054? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the question asks how much greater is the salary. Therefore, you compare to the female median salary.
Original post by SiMan
ukcat 3000.jpg

The answer is Second Thursday.. Clearly not, I don't understand.

It is 2nd Thursday...
I had a question - Do the 4 sections always come in order of VR, QR, AR, DA?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Its fine, technically, no, but I do get what you're saying. I'm not sure of where the interviewing stopped though. I would say 750 would be a safe number to apply her, maybe 730+ even

Thanks. But I think a cut off of 750 is ridiculously high for school leavers. Anyway, I will have to be very tactical since I got 725. If I can't replace Glasgow with a better option, I will stick with it. Thanks.
Original post by SiMan
Yh which seems to me is either 2nd Mon or 2nd Tue. :s-smilie:

Great question that is :smile:

Stilll looking at it to find a faster method of calculating - but it is not done by looking at the 3rd highest bar.

Take for example the first Thursday:
Total rainfall: 30 + 47 = 77mm (approx - drew a line to work out the numbers as best as i could)

Take then, the day after (Friday)

Total rainfall : 15 + 55 = 70mm

However, the Friday graph is actually taller than the Thursday - even though there was more rainfall on Thursday than Friday. The smaller the "gap" between the red&black plays a key part.

So in short - its definitely not as simple as looking at the total height of each bar :smile:

If you only look at the highest point of each bar, you are only comparing the rainfall from one county; not both.

EDIT: The fastest way seems to be looking at the options. You can rule out Saturday immediately as it has the highest county rainfall - and the other county nearly has as much (the gap is very small).

Therefore you are left with 4 options and you have to add the two rainfall values for each county together for each of the 4 options. Doesn't seem to be any faster way?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kyalimers
Because the question asks how much greater is the salary. Therefore, you compare to the female median salary.

Funny how a phase just lost me a mark. Thanks a lot! :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also in QR there is 36 questions, are there 9 passages with 4 questions to each?
AR 55 questions, again is there 11 passages with 4 questions each? Or are they random e.g one passage may have 5 questions the other 3?
Reply 4370
pleaseeee can someone answer me a.s.a.p?!
im doing my UKCAT on thursday and ive been getting awful results on
practices:frown: i never finish the first 3 sections!

plz can someone tell me (someone who has already done it)
how many qs. they managed to answer and what their point was?

thanks !!
Reply 4371
Original post by Lionheartat20
Great question that is :smile:

Stilll looking at it to find a faster method of calculating - but it is not done by looking at the 3rd highest bar.

Take for example the first Thursday:
Total rainfall: 30 + 47 = 77mm (approx - drew a line to work out the numbers as best as i could)

Take then, the day after (Friday)

Total rainfall : 15 + 55 = 70mm

However, the Friday graph is actually taller than the Thursday - even though there was more rainfall on Thursday than Friday. The smaller the "gap" between the red&black plays a key part.

So in short - its definitely not as simple as looking at the total height of each bar :smile:

If you only look at the highest point of each bar, you are only comparing the rainfall from one county; not both.

EDIT: The fastest way seems to be looking at the options. You can rule out Saturday immediately as it has the highest county rainfall - and the other county nearly has as much (the gap is very small).

Therefore you are left with 4 options and you have to add the two rainfall values for each county together for each of the 4 options. Doesn't seem to be any faster way?

Sigh... ridiculous question.
Anyone who did the Kaplan course and done their test can you PM me! I need to ask about the mocks they give you :smile:
Original post by Temmystical
Thanks. But I think a cut off of 750 is ridiculously high for school leavers. Anyway, I will have to be very tactical since I got 725. If I can't replace Glasgow with a better option, I will stick with it. Thanks.

750 is high, but its a safe number, especially since people are doing better this year on average. 725 would be fine as well, honestly you don't have to listen to me if you think I'm being ridiculous, I'm not trying to put you off it if it seems that way
Reply 4374
What?
what.jpg

Someone help.. these rules seem impossible.
Does anyone know what the ukcat cutoff score was for (last years) 2013 entry applicants at newcastle? any estimations what ppl think it will be for 2014 entry? I worried that the cutoff will be raised higher if more people get higher scores than usual :/
Reply 4376
Guys I am practicing with Medify and I find the passages in Verbal reasoning huge. I have heard that this year's VR contains mostly new- type questions and so, I try to skim read the text and not scan for key words. Are the passages in the real exam of this size? I took a look at the texts in the official mocks and they seemed much smaller. Please answer!!! :smile:
Hello all! I did my ukcat just over a week ago, just realised I have a UKCATPREP.COM account up for grabs if anyone wants to use it. My school signed us up for it, think it was for 3 months which started on June 20th, so still got ages if anyone wants it.

I think it did help me a lot (I ended up getting an average of 747.5 in the end), but the main thing to note is that these tests are WAY harder than the real thing. There are twelve online tests for each section, except SJT, there are only 2 SJT tests. I'd say for QR, which seems to be the most worrying section for most, the first three tests are quite an accurate representation of how the real test was for me, but the rest are insanely hard (not as bad as 600Q though!). AR was harder than the real thing on this, DA was accurate and VR was a bit harder than the real thing. I think that having tests that were way harder than the real thing really helped, though. Because when I got to the test centre and found that in fact I COULD do most of the questions in the time given, it really put me at ease, I didn't panic at all.

Anyway if anyone is interested PM me, I'll give it to the first person who asks and if you have your test before the membership expires, please share it with someone else :smile: also feel free to ask me anything if you do want any tips or encouragement! Because the main thing is not to get discouraged! :smile: Hope your tests go really well, good luck!
Original post by Loiks94

Also in QR there is 36 questions, are there 9 passages with 4 questions to each?
AR 55 questions, again is there 11 passages with 4 questions each? Or are they random e.g one passage may have 5 questions the other 3?

The 4 sections always come in that order, VR, QR, AR, DA, then don't forget you have the SJ (situational judgement test) too!
And when you finish one section, move on to the next, you can't go back to a section before the one you have started (i.e. you have finished VR, moved onto QR, have some time left but you can't go back to VR).

In QR it is pretty much 4 questions per passage although you may get the occasional 1 passage with 1 question (which i don't think I got - I did my ukcat this morning (woop!).

AR is pretty much the same too, not random. but every ukcat test is different for different people so no guarantee. :smile:Good luck:biggrin:
Original post by mintea
Hi everyone just wanted to point out some facts and figures due to the talk of ukcat going up by 20 or so points this year!

In 2012, 25,431 students took the ukcat. On the tabulated scores of 2013 we only have roughly 140 scores, you cannot assume from these high scores that the average will go up. From 2011 to 2012 the average ukcat score went up by 7.5 points!!!!!!!! Not by a huge amount of 20. And just to put things more into perspective, people in the top 90th percentile scored an average of 715 and above. That means only 9% of people scored higher then this. That is roughly around 2,500 applicants who scored higher then 715. So please don't be disheartened by the scores posted here as they only total up to about 140 scores!

I think it's very unfair to put people off applying to the universities they want to apply to! I for sure will be applying to kings GEP and will not let the scores on here put me off. After all, I don't want to regret not applying to my first choice of university due to tsr putting me off, only to find out that the cut off didn't increase as much as was speculated.

Best of luck to everyone in their applications! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You raise some good points however I have to disagree with the general gist of your post. You're right that TSR isn't representative (higher scores than average) and that we only represent a small sample. However people giving advice are taking that into consideration. The facts are the average scores are rising each year, UKCAT cutoffs also rise each year, but generally by amounts greater than the average score increases. This is because each year people are applying to their strengths and this won't change unless the medical school admissions process drastically changes and becomes even less transparent. In all probability if you have a UKCAT score below the previous years UKCAT cutoff for a med school (if they use one) you are almost certainly wasting a choice. If you are only slightly above a previous year's UKCAT cutoff for a school (say 5 to 10 points) you are taking a massive risk. If you had taken that risk last year with KCL GEP you would have been rejected.

One of the most common reasons for people receiving 4 rejections is applying to places that don't make use of the strengths in their profiles. There is no harm in advising people to apply based on their strengths. I ignored advice regarding KCL GEP last year as it was mybdream school and anyone can do the same, for me it was a wasted choice but thankfully my other choices were more sensible.

After a quick stalk I've found your UKCAT score which is very high and you have a very good chance if making the cutoff (I'd be surprised if you didn't) you're probably not interested in my opinion but my worry is that people with lower UKCAT scores will take your post to heart and waste a valuable choice on their UCAS form.

Edit: also the 20 points hasn't been picked out of thin air. The fact is DA scores have almost certainly gone up massively this year and even when the probable fall in VR is taken into consideration a reasonably large increase in the average score is likely. Also if you consider context it makes more sense. That small rise in 2012 was seen after a change in the VR section (the introduction of conclusion type questions) which for many made the section harder. The proportion of these increased this year so VR scores look even lower than before, DA on the other hand introduced a trial confidence rating which didn't count, and gave people extra time for this, even if the codes aren't easier this year an increase in DA isn't surprising.
(edited 10 years ago)